mlcantin

Quick question about ground distribution blocks

If I get one of these ground distributions blocks do I need to ground it the frame of my car or does it act like a self ground. Answer to this question would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matthew

depends on what kind you get

You need to ground the distro, it only acts as a "splitter" not a ground.  

What kind do I need to kind so a frame ground isn't necessary Julian?

Okay so I won't have to ground this one? What do you say Ricki?
Well, Yeah you'd have to ground it regardless. Unless you have  a magical amp that doesn't require a ground.
Sorry what I meant was do I need to run the amp ground to one terminal and then run a ground out the other terminal to the chassis or can I just ground the amp in one terminal and call it a day?

Yes you need to ground the distribution block in some way.

With that type when you bolt it to the body it's grounded, but like any other ground you'll have to remove all the paint which can look a little unsightly due to the size.  Also the surface needs to be as flat as possible for the best possible contact area.  

What exactly are you trying to do with your grounds?  Those blocks work but they're not typically the best way to do it for any application IMO.

He doesnt understand why somethings need ground and others do not.

To complete a power cycle, electronics need a path to a/the battery.

So stereo, alternator batts amps processors all need grounding.

The ONLY reason why batts are grounded to frame is to make the frame of the vehicle ground itself.

Its an extension of the ground post from the battery.

With that type when you bolt it to the body it's grounded, but like any other ground you'll have to remove all the paint which can look a little unsightly due to the size.  Also the surface needs to be as flat as possible for the best possible contact area.    What exactly are you trying to do with your grounds?  Those blocks work but they're not typically the best way to do it for any application IMO.

x2

I used these years ago, they worked but it wouldn't be my first choice as a method of grounding.