Quentin Jarrell

Ethos 12 and 15 final pricing and preorder

Final MAP pricing 

Ethos 12     $345 with free shipping to continental U.S.

Ethos 15     $355 with free shipping to continental U.S.

Preorder Sale 

terms of sale:  Sale will begin on Monday July 22, 2013 at 12:01 a.m. central standard time and will end August 11, 2013 at 11:59 p.m.

Product purchased during the sale will be refundable up until the closing of the sale MINUS 10 PERCENT of sale price to cover paypal fees that I will incure. 

Product is expected to start shipping  to customers on the week of August 12, 2013 however like all sales this is an estimate and can vary.  Pre order Product will NOT be refundable                              after closing of sale.

sale pricing:    Ethos 12     $295 with free shipping to continental U.S.

Ethos 15     $305 with free shipping to continental U.S.

how to order:  P.M or post here and I will send a paypal invoice to your account.  I WILL ONLY SHIP TO THE VERIFIED ADDRESS ON THE PAYPAL ACCOUNT.

STATUS OF DRIVERS AS OF JULY 16, 2013

Production drivers are due in this week.  I received one production motor via air mail and have coned it to a 15.  All seems well and after being broken in the parameters per a Dayton DATS put them close enough that frequency response will be close enough to modeled specs that they will work in the same expected enclosures.  Which are 1.5 feet for the 12 and 3 feet for the 15 tuned to 32 hertz for a relatively flat response with a roll off ~28 hertz, and a ~3db boost tuned to 36 hertz with a roll off ~30 hertz.

On the week of July 22 a driver will be sent to Patrick Turmire to verify small and large parameters with a Klippel analyzer and also subject them to a 24 hour power confirmation test in their recommended enclosures.  I am expecting the rating to be ~1,750 watts RMS.  I will update this status as new information comes.

I want a demo if we ever get a chance to meet up ...

oh my god.... 

I haven't had time but i'll just have to find a way later on to do this.. 

The new measurement unit has officially been in use recently on this forum.

The Su8.

Scion unit of 8 subs capable.. 

oh my god.... 

The Su8.

Hey you. Just STFU and get the subs so i can  tell you how much you suck.. mmkay?

I want a demo if we ever get a chance to meet up ...

I'm sure we will meet up one of these days. I'm anal about my installs. It has to look as good as it sounds and I have a high standard of what's considered good.

oh my god....

The Su8.

Hey you. Just STFU and get the subs so i can tell you how much you suck.. mmkay?

X2 sir

Quentin, did you ever settle on a dustcap and logo?  Have you played around with any sealed enclosures?

Quentin, did you ever settle on a dustcap and logo?  Have you played around with any sealed enclosures?

Haven't had a chance to put it in a sealed enclosure yet.  Just got around to putting the 15 in a 3 cubic foot box tuned to 32 hertz today.  On paper it looks like 1 cubic foot for the 12 and 2 cubic feet for the 15 will be happy mediums. 

Ethossealedresponsecurves_zpse1e2c93e.jp

Dust caps will look like this with the letters screen printed in silver.

image-6_zps38446986.jpg

image-6_zps6f65fc69.jpg

image-6_zps9ee98523.jpg

I like the cleanliness of the cap and the raised lettering is a very nice thouch! I think you've got yourself a seller!

I'm anal about my installs. It has to look as good as it sounds and I have a high standard of what's considered good.

I know EXACTLY what you mean here !!! Which is why I have NO DEADLINES with this 49 Ford ...

I'm tuned in Brother !!!

I personally think the cap font looks like Psi. I like the raised lettering. I would just possibly go a different font is all.

I personally think the cap font looks like Psi. I like the raised lettering. I would just possibly go a different font is all.

I dont give a font what it looks like.  I'm interested in the testing results for thermal and alignments coming soon.

I dont give a font what it looks like.  I'm interested in the testing results for thermal and alignments coming soon.

Hey! go back to your hole and shaddup! lol for what its worth you can put a picture of poop on the dustcover and it wouldn't matter if it performed well. Hell you could call it "the shit?"

I tried my damnedest to use a sticker but the factory's vinyl cutter was broke so I had to spend another 5 cents and have custom caps made.  I do see now the logos are somewhat similar except he has some half written 8's for s's.  Honestly the "logo" I used isnt a logo at all it is just "bradley handwriting" font.  Just wanted something simple and had never even heard of PSI before.  It wont be pink either so maybe people wont get confused.  If they do I'll spend another 5 cents on the next order and have more tooled.

Looks awesome.

Dustcap = irrelevant when performance means everything ;)

I like the overall look of the sub personally & must say the performance seems to look outstanding.

Being lazy.........are 18's going to be available & eta if so?

No, 10's and 18's will be available on the next production order. Due to the large amount of baskets I have to order it would have put me over budget.

15 and enclosure are packed up ready to ship off to Patrick Turnmire for final testing verification.

Preorder starts tonight at 12:01.

preorder has officially begun.  

The production 15 and enclosure (3 cubic feet tuned to 32 hertz) has been sent to Pat Turnmire with Redrock Acoustics.  While there he will be doing the following.

LPM, linear Parameter Measurement or also known as small signal Thiele Small parameters.

LSI, Large Signal Identification.  Basically Thiele Small parameters with a higher voltage that excites the transducer to normal operating range.  When a transducer is played there are                 parameter shifts that can very greatly from small signal parameters (during small signal testing the cone moves a fraction of a millimeter.)  Knowing this information will help design a               better enclosure to suit the driver.  It will also measure things like xmax including 70% BL(20%distortion), 82%BL (10% distortion), 50% suspension compliance (20% distortion),                  and   other parameters.

Power Handling Confirmation, the sub will be mounted in the provided enclosure to verify RMS power ratings based on xmax and thermal compliance of the coil.  This will give a real world                                                 rating to insure coil failure due to too much power will not be an issue.  As of now I am the only small internet company using this testing method to get a                                                       proper RMS rating.

While these tests are being performed Pat will be creating video tutorials explaining each test, and why its an important step in the design process.

Do you know if his findings will be available before the preorder is over?

Also, i just seen that thermal couple option in the other thread and have a question on that.

Can that only be done on unassembled drivers?  

I'm assuming the preorder time will be for drivers already assembled?

Also, if i'm right about above, is there an option for already assembled drivers that's just as effective?

Also, what is the estimated ambient threshold for these readings obtained if you know?

Do you know if his findings will be available before the preorder is over? Yes, testing will be done this week. I will not have any final drivers built until so. I know everything mechanically is good but the spider pack may have to be adjusted a tad, but I highly doubt it. Also the 12 has to have ~35 grams added to the moving mass to be able to play in a 1.5 foot box properly. This may vary but I will know the exact number once I have a final BL number. I know its estimate but I want the final driver as perfect as possible. If everything is not ready then THE preorder will be extended until so, but I highly doubt it would be any more than a couple of days.

Also, i just seen that thermal couple option in the other thread and have a question on that.

Can that only be done on unassembled drivers? yes, the top plate would need to be machined to accept it. However if you google you can find a variety of thermocouples that can be placed next to the coil via one of the vent holes in the basket. All you would need is something to read the resistance that occurs in the thermocouple. Its the same principle as the BBQ thermometers with the leads that you stick in a roast or turkey.

I'm assuming the preorder time will be for drivers already assembled? Yes preorders are for assembled drivers unless you wanted the BP option which I HIGLY recommend not doing if you have the space for normal ported as the recommended ported enclosure will result in more output.

Also, if i'm right about above, is there an option for already assembled drivers that's just as effective? see above

Also, what is the estimated ambient threshold for these readings obtained if you know? ~1800 - 2000 watts thermal. I had the sub being tested in the 3 foot box on a IA 20.1 with the gain cranked all the way up with the LPF turned to ~80 and the SSF all the way down and saw no problems. Only a bit of smell after playing a bass sweep for 5 minutes straight.

Edited by Quentin Jarrell

thanks for the response but we didn't click on the last question.. 

On the ambient threshold, i was referring to what is the estimated ambient MAX temperature a thermal couple would read before thermal failure is about to occur?

I know this is ambient reading pretty much so i did not know if you knew this or not.

Also, i'd be interested in this option, the thermal couple option.  

What is the price increase per driver and could it possible effect other aspects of the driver itself such as reconing or TS parameters in anyway?

I got you, normally a increase of 200 kelvin.  The glue used on my coil are suppose to be rated for 250 celcius until it fails.

The thermocouple option would run about 30 bucks.  Im looking into other option though.  Pat and Enrique has designed some transducers for Charles Grecco and someother pro audio people that offer monitoring.  Not just temp but other things like xmax, distortion, ect.  It would only cost pennies to machine the driver to accept the devices.  The majority of the price would just be the piece itself ant installation onto the driver.

woooott!