Im trying to put together a new system for my car. Im aiming for about 7k watts what electrical needed for that? i already have a high output alt,i bought it from mechman last year so i cant remember if its a 260 or 270 amp

You think your ready for it? Usually when people have to ask they aren't.

absolutely. I'm currently running a saz3500 and I want to add another or go a different route bit with the same brand

Im trying to put together a new system for my car. Im aiming for about 7k watts what electrical needed for that? i already have a high output alt,i bought it from mechman last year so i cant remember if its a 260 or 270 amp

You would need two alternators to run that amp at near full output.

Plus your other electrical loads.

I really was trying to avoid dual alternators cause I don't think my car is capable (04 impala) what's the most power I can't run with a 260 amp alt?

Is this for competing or just daily and demoing?

I really was trying to avoid dual alternators cause I don't think my car is capable (04 impala) what's the most power I can't run with a 260 amp alt?

Around 3500k rms.

i have yet to see a question or battery list.

How high do you want the voltage to stay?

How good is your electrical?

How many batteries are you going to run?

Edited by pmureika

Ok. I'll chime in. I have a stock alternator, and 4k rms right now. I have 4 group 31's in the back with little voltage drop. On 7k. You should be fine with a single HO alt and 4 group 31s. IMO

you need 1ah for every watt on stock alternator.

So you will need 7000ah worth of batts.

lol, just playin.. 

Listen to Mike above.

If you are tight on money, i'd just buy 2 G31s and see if you like the performance. 

If not, add 1 and retest.. 

You can keep adding batts without having to buy them all at once.

Really depends on what electrical you have now. 

If you buy cheap G31's, then three to four at least. If you buy good G31's like the D3100, three would suffice. 

I'm running an NS-1 @.66 right now. I have four D3100's and a 370a alternator. If I'm running 1,000-1,500rpm(almost full output of the alt) I see drop to about 13.6 at most, sometimes 13.1 if I go below tuning. So take that as you will. 

Ive got a 320 amp alt. 4 3100s and a 3400 on 2 b2 m1s (7k each) strapped at 2 ohms. Full tilt at 2k rpms I drop to 14ish. I will admit my gains are prolly set a tad more conservative than most.

I also got a 1k amp on door subs for mids.

I've seen people running more than double that on a single alt.

One alt wil be fine on 7k just be sure to back it with proper battery power.

Ive got a 320 amp alt. 4 3100s and a 3400 on 2 b2 m1s (7k each) strapped at 2 ohms. Full tilt at 2k rpms I drop to 14ish. I will admit my gains are prolly set a tad more conservative than most.

I also got a 1k amp on door subs for mids.

How are you only dropping to 14ish? That means you're not drawing much at all. Not close to 14kw. 

Well I did say my gains were more conservative than most. Set with a 0db tone as where most would set with a -5db.

And who knows I may have some stupid imp rise. Im starting at 2.2ish strapped.

Im charging at 15.1 where most would be around 14.4.

And lastly you gotta realize I play much different music than most. Mostly metal. When I play decaf/rap/dubstep I can get down to 12.8 is the lowest ive seen.

Of course my volt meters could just be fucked and lying to me. Who knows

I believe coupled with your HO alt, 3 to 4 group31 batteries will get you to a playable state. There's really two things I can think of when it comes to this scenerio. 

1: Keep steady voltage
2: Have "playable" voltage

So, if you want to obtain and keep above 14 volts with 7,000 watts, you would need to supply enough amperage for said wattage. Or the second option, is to have enough reserve to keep you in the ok zone for playing for whatever duration you want to play. I would say 12.8 is an ok goal to have when using that much power. But that number depends on you as well. You have to know what you're comfortable with. For me, I don't like to see below 12.6, because that is usually the resting voltage of my particular setup. So if my system (5,600 watts) goes below that, that tells me that my alt AND reserve is carrying a load that is NOT sustainable. Therefore causing heavy strain on my system as a whole. As mentioned before, the duration of this also is a factor. If I was doing only a 30 second run then sure, going below 12.6 won't necessarily cause any damage. But let's say I stay below that voltage level for over three minutes, then that means I don't have the proper electrical system to back up the power I am using. 

I hope this helps. If it was up to me, and I have a stock alternator, I would run 4 group31s per 5,000 watts. This would be an optimal choice for MY paticular case (130amp Alt).