Quentin Jarrell

Ethos bandpass option.

For those of you that want a driver specifically designed for fourth order bandpass enclosures I am looking at offering this option. As long as I don't have to add mass to the moving assembly to achieve desirable frequency response it will be a free of charge option.

Details later today.

Cool news. Definitely in for more details.

Specs for the 15 inch Ethos with 4th order bandpass option

Re     1.5 ohms

Fo     31.52

Qts    .4429

Qes   .4728

Qms  7

Vas    63.78 liters

BL     15.48 T/M

xmax  33mm

Mms   362.9 grams

Cms    70.26 uM/N

spl       87.95   1W/1M

Recommended enclosure

rear volume     1.4 cubic feet

front volume    .86 cubic feet

tuning              50.8 hertz

bottom F3        ~32 hertz

top F3              ~83 hertz

The below graph is the regular Ethos 15 compared to the Ethos 15 with the bandpass option.  The bandpass option sub will work in a normal vented alignment however output will suffer due to the suspension being ~1/3 softer.  Therefor it will not be able to handle the same amount of power in a vented alignment.

EthoswithBPoption_zpsd1c57aa2.jpg

Are you going to be testing the drivers in general based on what you are plotting?

WinISD is notorious for erroneous conclusions for bandpass designs from what i've heard.

But all in all, i'd like to see actual results of any enclosure design if you are planning on doing so.

I see since this is a separate type of Ethos driver, it would be advantageous for me to see the actual differences in real life before i decide which one to purchase.

Are you going to be testing the drivers in general based on what you are plotting?

WinISD is notorious for erroneous conclusions for bandpass designs from what i've heard.

But all in all, i'd like to see actual results of any enclosure design if you are planning on doing so.

I see since this is a separate type of Ethos driver, it would be advantageous for me to see the actual differences in real life before i decide which one to purchase.

Now of course I'm not going to test. I thought that's what the customer is for.

A more reliable FEA program and also verified by hand calculations a more appropriate enclosure would be 3cft total tuned to 48 hertz puts the bottom f3 at 28 hertz and the top F3 at 80 hertz. This enclosure is more in line with the subwoofers thermal rating. In other words the driver will hit xmax at rms rating. ~1,800 watts. However it's response is 2 db down across the board. I did not post that enclosure at this time as I knew less educated people that do not know that WinSd can't factor in PeMax due to the fact it doesn't factor suspension.

The posted enclosure would take about 2,500 watts to hit xmax. But again I knew Id get tons of flaming due to the "correct" enclosure being 2 db down.

To answer your other question. It's obvious that if you can fit ported do so. The BP option is for folks who want to cram a bunch of stuff in small spaces.

Me likey.

Will you be posting the suggested enclosure specs for the 12 with the bandpass options? Also do you have an idea of the amount of power the bandpass option will take in a vented enclosure?

Will you be posting the suggested enclosure specs for the 12 with the bandpass options? Also do you have an idea of the amount of power the bandpass option will take in a vented enclosure?

As soon as I receive large signal parameters I will post final recommendations.

The enclosure recommendations are based on the rms rating and xmax of the driver The RMS rating in the subs are ~1,800rms

Any updates on the enclosure for the 12s really considering getting 2 of these and mutating them in a 4th order

Any updates on the enclosure for the 12s really considering getting 2 of these and mutating them in a 4th order

It's at Pat's office right now. I already know what the parameters will be as I already had samples tested a year ago. I'm just really anal and like to triple check my work.

The box will be small. For a bandpass you can expect an s factor of .7 with a total volume of around 2.5 cft. Going down to 1.5 cft will get you in the realm of a .5 s factor. Pass band will be ~30-75 hz while keeping ripple under 3 db

Thanks for the quick reply my other option was 3 sa 10s because i was trying to keep the total enclosure under 5 cubes and would be on a saz 3500 so these would work great and the motor is way more sexy haha