ToXicFrOgXx

ToXicFrOgXx's Build

Hey everybody. I got into car audio about a year ago and have learned a lot. When I got my BL some people sounded interested in my build with my Camry. So here it is finially. I was waiting until I had some good pictures saved up to post. Cuz we all love to see those pictures. This will be from the start of my system to my most recent additions. Hope you all enjoy.

20130718_100218_zps67629739.jpg

This was my very first system. I purchased it from car toys for WAY to much because I had no clue what I was doing. I also got a Kenwood deck. I beleive the KDC956. Sounded good for what it was on 280 WRMS and got me HOOKED on sound. The front piece was made because there were so many holes in the box from taking the sub in and out that it wouldn't hold anymore. Lol. I think it looks nice for a prefab. 

Edited by ToXicFrOgXx

After I had that sub for a few months I decided to upgrade to an Alpine Type R 12" powered by Hifonics BRZ 1200.1D on 900 WRMS which was cool. I dropped the Type R into that prefab box seen earlier and let it be. This was before I knew how much the box actually made the sub preform. After looking around on the internet and playing around with my small Logitech subwoofer I decided to make a new box. I made it out of particle board because it was cheaper. It looks a little ruff but sounds Awesome. I used the RE Box Calculator for that one. 

20130313_151818_zps9dd85928.jpg

Very ruff. First sub box ever. Lol. 

20130313_153822_zpsedca7ffe.jpg

How the sub sat in the box before it was sealed up.

20130313_201556_zps95b77382.jpg

Everything I add to my car is done without modifying anything major. This box slid right in my trunk with no prblems. It was 3 cubes tuned at 33hz. Or at least thats what the RE box calculator said. 

After I ran that for a while I wanted to move my amps around. Up until this point I had the amps screwed to the sub box and grounded to a hole at the top of my trunk. It worked but needed to be changed. So I made a quick amp rack. Basically a board with all my amps mounted to it. Lol...

20130320_152836_zps9ef4d78f.jpg

I will be posting more pictures to catch everything up to my current system whenever I have time. :)

Hell yeah another camry guy here. I wanted to set my amps like that but theres no space lol

nice!!!

The space available is very limited. Lol. I've made a few changes to my amp rack since those pictures. I will post some soon. :) The wiring was a total mess at that point in my install...

Can't wait to see the pics with te BL. All I saw was the back side from the txt you sent me lol

After making that box for the Type R and realizing that there was a lot more to car audio than I thought I started to do more research on the internet to see what I could find about how to get better performance out of speakers and amps and such. Thats when I found SSA. Thats when I found the FI BL subwoofer and fell in love. After saving for a few months I ordered a Singer high output alternator along with a BL 15. The alternator got to me first. 

20130424_131231_zpsb3992c4b.jpg

The new alternator put out 180 amps vs my stock 80 amp alternator. This gives me the power to sustain long bass notes but I still don't have enough reserves in my stock battery to keep up with all the hard hitting bass notes. That will be fixed soon. 

20130417_163543_zps62940f57.jpg

Singer alternators are awesome. :)

While waiting for the BL to show up I added some NVX sound dampening to the trunk lid to help with rattling and sound control. There are two layers and I still don't think it does anything. Lol. 

20130315_123738_zps08406533.jpg

Shortly after getting the alternator and sound dampening in the BL 15 came in. :) Totally unexpected and totally made my day. 

20130426_083803_zps86db4c3d.jpg

:)

20130426_084000_zps2b695956.jpg

The BL came in before I had a box made so I took the next day off to make a box. It became very rushed because I was so excited to hear the new sub. Turned out that I made the box to big and had to cut the front down by 4 inches and also bevel off the bottom corners A LOT... I wont ever make that mistake again but it left me with a box that was running 3.5 cubes at 37hz. For how badly it was made it sounded good. Had to set the SS at 35hz for the sub's sake but the BL totally kicked ass!! Even in that shitty box. 

20130427_163510_zpsd1abe038.jpg

20130427_163503_zps2444e8c5.jpg

This was what it looked like before I had to cut the front off. 

I changed the amp board to an very simple amp rack so that the BL had a little more space to fit in the trunk. So I stacked them on top of each other and also added a relay to run the remote wire off of the battery instead of my head unit and daisy chaining the amps together. 

20130513_155054_zps15734264.jpg

Also at this point in my install I had been running Alpine Type R 6.5 Comps up front and 6x9 coaxials in the back. Getting the 6x9's in the back was pretty tough due to the mounting of the stock 6x9's and had to drill new holes and use double stick tape to get them to stay. Lol. No pics of that. It was done last year some time. All Type R speakers were getting about 80 WRMS from my JL JX360 and have also sounded great. 

After running that box for a little while I wanted to give the BL a home that it could actually enjoy. So new plans were made. 

False floor, slanted box with an 8" aero port, take out rear stage, add distribution block to relay, and actually put terminals in my box. (My friends always gave me shit for running my sub wires through the port but I knew that the boxes were not permanent.) By taking out the rear speakers it gave me about an extra 2-3 inches in height and also about an extra 5-6 inches depth. Well worth it. 

2013-07-10113004_zps0f64a376.png

Awesome sketch of the box. And BL smile.png

Edited by ToXicFrOgXx

20130710_104844_zpsb68cc725.jpg

Cutting out the false floor. Used the carpet out of the trunk as a template. Worked great. 

20130710_120243_zpsffcda310.jpg

Had to cut it in half to get it to fit in the trunk. And decided to take out a couple inches to allow wires into the spare tire location for the amps. 

2013-07-18095938_zps8de20c9c.png

All pieces cut out. 

20130710_150721_zps9ad97530.jpg

20130710_152711_zps007803bd.jpg

20130710_190251_zps0f62b01a.jpg

Laid out the sub gasket and the only thing we could find that was 8" in diameter to see how things would fit. Theres a little gap on the front of the box that was because we didn't account for the slanted top. But wood glue sealed it enough to keep it strong. I didn't do a double baffle because I wanted this to be as light as possible. I also didn't brace the box yet. Something I will be doing in the near future. 

IT IS REALLY HARD TO FIND 8" SCHEDULE 40 PVC!!!! We got the whole box assembled and the sub hole cut out and then went inside to find a place that sold the PVC that was needed for the port. I didn't realize it would be so hard to find it locally. After about 50 calls to ever plumbing, hardware, and specialty place in the area we found a store that had 8" schedule 40 in stock. We jumped in the car and raced down there. Only to find that they closed 5 minutes before we got there!!!!! So we had to go back the next morning and get the pipe when they opened. 

20130710_191818_zps3d2d4c81.jpg

20130710_192756_zpscca0d249.jpg

Test fit before the pipe was put in the box. The cuts off a lot of the sub hole. The sound makes it into the cabin of the car with no problems. 

20130710_192640_zps77a51f43.jpg

Very tight fit. Lol.

IMG_0254_zps5a277e2f.jpg

The final product. The box is so tight getting in the trunk I don't think I'll be able to put any carpet on it. Lol. 

IMG_0256_zpse95c4a54.jpg

When testing the fit i found that the center of the false floor was pretty flimsy so I decided to put the amps under the sub and use them as a stand to hold the center up and then the weight from the sub and box would hold the amps in place. And this works great. So here are the modifications I did to the amp rack I had  made before. 

IMG_0245_zps8e5d9249.jpg

I extended the legs on the rack to fit right under the false floor as well as lift the amps high enough to clear the spare tire attachment point in the spare compartment. I also added the small distribution block to run any kind of 12volt thing I need too. Including remote wires and also LED's in the near future. :)

IMG_0246_zps31884b51.jpg

Since the amps were going to be in a confined place i decided to add some cooling. I used the old fan out of my Xbox 360 since the xbox had a new LED fan in it and I had no use for this one any more. I couldn't find my hot glue gun so I just held it in there with some screws. Lol. 

IMG_0247_zps744c5307.jpg

New ground location. The post where the spare tire was held down. 

IMG_0249_zpsb6d25c75.jpg

Putting the amps in and running all the wires to them. 

IMG_0253_zps68475d1b.jpg

Everything all ready for the sub. 

IMG_0252_zps8fd99190.jpg

nice!!! what store carried the 8' pipe????

Nice im digging this build. How much for that singer alternator?

nice!!! what store carried the 8' pipe????

I found a local plastic supply store that had it. The minimum amount you could purchase was 10' and I only used like 2'. So I was ganna try and sell it in the SSA classified section to try and help some people out that can't find it. 

Nice im digging this build. How much for that singer alternator?

$500. It was a hard purchase. Lol. 

Holyyyy wow thats expensive for an alt... But i see singer alts are really good, and lifetime warrenty

Singer makes great Alts. Great dude. $500 isn't so expensive for an alt. Seems to be the average that people are paying. Although yeah that seems expensive for a 180a alt. Some cars are like that, though. My friends Chevy Cavalier will be getting a 350A from Singer for only $550.