iamamp3pimp

center console talk - farming for ideas and tips

IM abiut to dig in and start my own center console here in the next few days.

Any tips and things to look out for?

I want to incorporate this touch panel that ive been working on...also some clean plexi....my tablet and possibly an armrest/compartment for random stuff.

Ive seen some awesome stuff on Google....shoot me some info.

Thanks!!!

Plexi will scratch all to hell with daily use. Depending on the type of plexi used ammonia based cleaners will make it fog up. And any alcohol based cleaners will make it spider web and crack.

The plexi is a necessity. It will be backed with wood so no worries there, its for a touch panel.

If that is the case I'd get a roll of protective fill like used on cell phones. If not its not gonna hold up long.

If that is the case I'd get a roll of protective fill like used on cell phones. If not its not gonna hold up long.

I recommend ghost armor

Great idea.

How about ideas on framing g it out?

A good friend told me to start with the bottom out of wood and go from there.

Do you have anything to add?

Im going to attach a base to the floor that the console will mount too, so I can do most of the work on the outside.

Is this an enclosure or just console?

Go on Fishman's YouTube and look at some of his installs. Him and Brian Schmitt are about the best around making custom installs appear factory.

Wow ghost armor has a ton of stuff

:)

Plexi will scratch all to hell with daily use. Depending on the type of plexi used ammonia based cleaners will make it fog up. And any alcohol based cleaners will make it spider web and crack.

He can use acrylic in place.  IT's cheaper than PC also.  They even make scratch resistant acrylics in any color or tint, and they're naturally resistant to nature and most chemicals aside from that which melts them.

He can use acrylic in place. IT's cheaper than PC also. They even make scratch resistant acrylics in any color or tint, and they're naturally resistant to nature and most chemicals aside from that which melts them.

Plexi is acrylic. I say plexi as Kleenex is tissue. PC? As in polycarbonate? Yea it's about 1/3 more (at my wholesaler). And it's a bitch to buff. It is easier to cut however.

If you have a piedmont plastics near you I believe they sell retail and they CNC.

The entire top of the center consoles come off of those vehicles. If it were me I'd use the bottom shell of the factory and work my magic with the top. It would make for a much cleaner install.

He can use acrylic in place. IT's cheaper than PC also. They even make scratch resistant acrylics in any color or tint, and they're naturally resistant to nature and most chemicals aside from that which melts them.

Plexi is acrylic. I say plexi as Kleenex is tissue. PC? As in polycarbonate? Yea it's about 1/3 more (at my wholesaler). And it's a bitch to buff. It is easier to cut however.

No, plexiglass is polycarbonate or Lexan which is the GE brand name for polycarbonate..  It's more prone to scratching and not as chemical resistant.  Acrylic is an entirely different animal.

that center console is long gone lol.

Ill check out fishmans stuff & B. Schmidt as well.

This is odd to me as I was discussing this with a technician at US plastics many years ago and they sell plexiglass and Lexan as one, while acrylic is sold and marketed separately.  So who is correct?   Plexi is the acrylic and Lexan the PC?

Yea the original plexi is acrylic but they also have other materials that bear the plexi name. Stuff that is scratch resistant, PC, and other specialty stuff. But when people say Plexi they mean acrylic as it was the first to market.

Trust me (and the plexi home page) Plexiglas is acrylic. I've got several sheets of plexi brand in the shop at the moment and a good bit of Lexan too.

I am interested in this as well. I have a 99 Suburban & still have my factory center console. Btw, a bit off topic but, what amps did you use before the Flatlines? I'm considering using them in my next build.