Fi 4 life

Fi/ SSA 10" subs LPFs

I've seen a couple people such as DreDay256, sorry to name drop, running subs from fi or ssa as midbass. So to my question, what are the usable higher frequencies that can produce in a very linear line from your subs in a medium size box (either sealed or ported) fom say 60hz on up to.... What?

They would be ran off an aq1200d.

Looking for some ideas to think about while I still am thinking about my next build.

Would be used between sub (1 18" fi q on a BC2000D, high pass set to 27hz low pass set at 70hz) and midrange 6ND430 that I've ran as low as 100 hz up to 1.5k off an aq1200d. Both amps sending clean signals. 220 amp alt, big 3, and 2 shuriken bats in back.

Just looking for frequencies, not criticism.

Thanks in advance!

It is really personal preference man. I personally like my sub low passed low  ~50-60.

dcon

gcon

icon

xcon

x

ssd

q

bl

That is one of the reasons I'm doing this, want to run my q from 27 to 60, give it a little break

It wouldn't really matter what sub to me, I just don't like the way any sub sounds crossed higher than that in my particular install.

That comment does not have helpful information.

Can someone with experience provide some helpful PDF graphs, or thoughts on what they tried and worked and what didn't work in their application.

There are way too many different variables for that information to make much sense to your install. Just try it and see if you like it. If not, change it 'till you do. It's a whole lot easier than getting people on the internet to tell you what to do.

Edit: Read your first post again. You're looking for a sub that will play from 60-100? That's pretty damn pointless.

What's wrong with what you have now that you want to change? What have you already tried to alleviate what you don't like? 

Edited by watts09

That comment does not have helpful information.

Can someone with experience provide some helpful PDF graphs, or thoughts on what they tried and worked and what didn't work in their application.

Actually it does, you just don't like it. Nobody can tell you how YOU are going to want to cross your sub, in your car, with your front stage, in your door, in your install.

No it would hopefully be 250 hz to 300 hz if possible

250 - 300 Hz the low-pass for the sub? You are getting way into frequencies where bass is easily to locate and you will have mono midbass. It will sound like crap more than likely... 

The previous replies have all been helpful, there's no ideal on-paper LPF. Midbass plays an important role in how you perceive the entire bass spectrum so the more midbass you have, and the lower you can HPF the midbass speakers and have output, let's say 50-60 Hz, the better for bass perception. You cross the sub to match the midbass. 

Entirely application dependent, I LPF my sub at 40Hz, it doesn't mean it will sound good in your install.  

Highest I would even consider allowing the sub to play would be 100hz, but for for me and my setup, I have crossed at 63hz. (head unit setting)

If you start letting your sub try to play way to many frequencies above the intended use it starts to become localized and the bass notes will sound like shit.

Edited by crackinhedz

I've run subs up front in a stereo pair as midbasses. Have to choose drivers wisely for this as well as your enclosure.

Ah, ok after taking head outta my ass and re-reading, you have dedicated sub...and are looking for purely midbass duty...forget I even chimed in as Ive nver tried subs for strictly midbass.

It seems like there is some confusion going on. He has a sub to play the lows but is looking for something smaller to run as midbass as well.

I'm pretty sure Sky High has a couple DC Lvl 2 8s playing midbass doesn't he?

If you want a midwoofer..get a midwoofer.

The point of a speaker is no different than a wrench, you should use the proper tool for the job. If you have a 1/4" bolt you are trying to tighten up you do not need a 5 foot long cheater bar on the end of the wrench.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/peerless-sls-830667-8-paper-cone-woofer/

Those are great from 80-1000Hz.

So the sls will be able to keep up with my q and more importantly my midrange in a sealed or IB application on say 200-300 watts each? Haven't heard any speakers from peerless but specs and graph show it strong being used from 60 hz to 300 hz. This would these work for my application to fill that gap?

Then have my 6nd430s run up from their.

Main question, how do these perform from 60 hz to 300 hz off axis?

Looking for comments from people who have world experience only.

Processing will be from new 80prs.

Thanks again.