TheTechnician

RLs-15's for HT, and music

Well hello to all the regulars here. I have been reading this forum for a couple of months anonymously and decided to go with dual RLs-15's for my home theatre-stereo DIY sub project. I looked at all the subs and forums I could find. After everything was said and done, they looked like the ones for the job. My requirements were very low distortion, very low frequency extension and awesome output too.

I decided to do everything pretty mush as recommended for a change. I have built 2 sealed enclosures that have just at 8.5ft^3 a piece minus about .5 for bracing. I am going to power them each with a bridged Behringer EP2500 with about 2400 watts@4ohms. I am putting the finishing coats of urethane on tomorrow morning and then I can finally test them in the boxes. (I was afraid I would never put the finish on the boxes if I tested them first, :domoslay: ) Anyway I'm frikkin excited and I wanted to share my experience.

You need some HT posts on here anyway. :bump:

ou need some HT posts on here anyway.

I don't have an HT, but I definitely like to see 120VAC projects...as I spend more time and effort on 2 channel audio at home than I do in the vehicle :)

Welcome to the boards, BTW.

WELCOME!!

and :stfu:

but your ht sounds like an earthquake waiting to happen!! sweet! i'm drooling all over the keyboard thinking about an 4800wrms dual 15" rl-s ht sub stage! my god!! you are my hero!!

but seriously, we need pics and a review!!! glad to see ya aboard the soundsplinter team!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Wow what a choice!!!

I would love to hear that for sure. Feel bad for your foundation.

The living room and kitchen are part of the same room, 17' X 28' with a 17' vaulted ceiling, plus there is a small open bonus room and a short hallway.

my god..hell is going to quake..lol..

when this is finished pics!! and vids!! with sound!! maybe your address so we can all go to your house and listen to this monster!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

... or just hand out your zipcode - since you'll be shaking the whole town ;)

:lol:

upload to photdump, or imageshack....then link here.

some of our "finer" :finger: members run FF and can't click on thumbnails and such, so you have tolink to your photo's...

hope that helps!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

upload to photdump, or imageshack....then link here.

some of our "finer"  :finger: members run FF and can't click on thumbnails and such, so you have tolink to your photo's...

hope that helps!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Better members? :D

Try it...come to the dark side...you'll never go back to IE again.

I've thought about a similar system but I just haven't bucked up the $ to do it. Have you ever tested (or do you know a way to test) how much power you can draw from you wall outlet?

I'm thinking that I might wind up poping fuses all the time even if I only use one 15rls with my Tapco J2500 (supposed to be 2500wrms at 4ohms)

Anyone know how to figure out how much your outlets can take withouut giving out? other than buyying a huge inefficient sub and trying it.

According to my guess... A wall socket is 120v @ 20amp breaker, so to me that figures up to be 2400watts.

Hmm.... Decent amp you have there too, I kinda wish I had the need/equipment to run mine a full tilt...

Well this morning I was testing it, and when a track hit about 25hz or so at full volume it tripped the breaker. I flipped it back on, and now everythings running just as loud with no breakers tripping. I am pushing 2 at once with 2400 watts a piece off the same outlet( ya know, two receptacles but the same outlet ). It was a 20 amp breaker. Btw I was playing Kalifornia by Crystal method, and one part of the song hits 20hz. WOW-------These things had as much travel as the dust cap is wide at that frequency. I couldn't hear the sound it was so low, and the whole house was shaking! :faintthud:

Well this morning I was testing it, and when a track hit about 25hz or so at full volume it tripped the breaker. I flipped it back on, and now everythings running just as loud with no breakers tripping. I am pushing 2 at once with 2400 watts a piece off the same outlet( ya know, two receptacles but the same outlet ). It was a 20 amp breaker.  Btw I was playing Kalifornia by Crystal method, and one part of the song hits 20hz. WOW-------These things had as much travel as the dust cap is wide at that frequency.  I couldn't hear the sound it was so low, and the whole house was shaking! :faintthud:

that sounds badass!!!

and like mike said

:stfu:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I'm sorry for the lack of pics & stfu, but I have a real demanding job and no experience with posting files. I have submitted a video of the setup playing the song I mentioned to realm of excursion, and it should be posted under my name when they post it. If you have any other suggestions for pics or more vids I'll be happy to oblige.

www.photobucket.com

Use that site to host your pictures, then link them here using the img tags.