Sign in to follow this  
la_flama_la_blanca

Help with picking speakers and sub

I have a 03 Ford F-150. I have an Alpine hu, and an Audiobahn A460L amp that was powering a 8" RF XLC.

Max budget is $200.

Shoot me some suggestions....

Shoot us some goals, and more information.

Looking for something better then stock. Listen to more rock genre music. The reason for the upgrade the surround on the sub blew, and the driver speaker stopped working. So looking to upgrade the front stage and replace the sub. I would like to stay away from componets because I dont want to cut into the door for the tweets.

with rock music mids and highs will be fine no need to get 12 inch or bigger subs or any subs in that matter

We need more info.

Like amp power.

Door speaker size.

Edited by pmureika

So you are using two channels for the doors and bridging the other two for the sub?

Could those speakers be 6 x 9 s?

Edited by pmureika

When I search on Crutchfield it shows 6x7, 6x8 or 5.25" speakers. I believe right now the amp is only powering the sub. I dont know how the 2c and 4c amps work. a little off topic to when I looked at the amp to see what model it was I noticed it had 4 rcas going into it. So what would that mean?

no 5x7

When I search on Crutchfield it shows 6x7, 6x8 or 5.25" speakers. I believe right now the amp is only powering the sub. I dont know how the 2c and 4c amps work. a little off topic to when I looked at the amp to see what model it was I noticed it had 4 rcas going into it. So what would that mean?

if its a 4 channel amp then each rca would be the signal for a channel. it probably has a 2 channel mode where you only hook up rca to channel 1 and 2 and that signal is sent to all 4 channels. you just lose fade control from the head unit. I would get 1 decent set of speakers in the doors, not the sides, and a sub. 

go to a local audio store even if its best buy and listen to what they have. determine if you like soft tweeters or metal tweeters. theres no real point to us suggesting what speakers you'll like over the internet. no one knows what you think sounds best. 

Yeah I agree with you. I just know some brands they don't carry in stores that are online only that you get a better bang for the buck for. Just dont know what they are. So I was looking for some recommendations so I can call up local shops to see if they carry those particular models to hear them.

you're probably looking to spend 100 on the sub and 100 on the speakers?  there's nothing really that stands out in that price range.  a long while back it might have been ok for me to say get some phoenix gold rsd 6.5's because they' were really good for the money. i dont think there's anything like that anymore. most shit at 100$ of any decent quality will sound the same and only vary with respect to the tweeter material. though i'm probably generalizing too much. 

i will point out that partexpress still has some buyout Bravox stuff. Bravox was pretty popular on the forum during the time the ssa store stocked it. just looking through some of whats left, you can get 5x7s and a sub for about 100-120. this would open up a lot of budget for install materials, namely sound deadening, which would improve your results more than anything else. just to point out, we havent determined what space you have available and whether you're building your own box for the sub. 

The sub right now is in a sealed box. I would build a new box because the box now is pretty hacked. I would have no problem building a sealed enclosure with a ported enclosure I'd have to check space under the seat and get help with figuring out the right port size.

when we get to the point concerning a new sub we need to know measurements for avaible space. someone will be able to help you design the box.