Sign in to follow this  
jonbearsmt

charging issue.... help from the experienced only please

ok so  my cars alternator is PCM conrolled.. and that means low voltage to start with. 14 flat cold on a good day 13.8 13.6 hot  with my 300 amp mechman 4 31 series dekas in the rear and an old exide orbital under the hood.....

so i spend a few bills and get a misslink audio module, to boost my voltage, and at first it did.. 14.6 cold, 14 flat hot... but then it became very spratic  it was all over the place,  and some times 13.00 hot...  but normally 14.2 or so idled up ....

well while testing to get ready for texas heatwave the biggest show in texas, thats this weekend.. my scores were down a full DB... well my orbital under the hood is 5 year old maybe older.. so   i replace it with a big old wall mart marine  battery, brand new, fully charged.  and when i start the car up my voltage is kinda low.. 14.2 cold, and it wont go any higher.. well i take it for a ride listen to some music and it feels stronger, and my voltage is holding under a load so  ill put it on the meter in the morning and see if its any better...

well it was not..

and now,  my hot voltage is 13.6  with the MLA mod and 13.5 with out... so what the fuck is going on?

should i yank this marine battery and see if they will take it back and run my old battery that test OK but needs charge?

what would cause this battery to render my charging?

Maybe a stupid question, but have you checked the deka's individually?

Maybe a stupid question, but have you checked the deka's individually?

no, and its very hard to now.. they are all less then a year old... i know that this does not matter.. but i would HOPE they are all good.  that maybe the next step, but its throwing me for a loop how i replace the underhood  and my charging goes down

I think that might be because it is a better battery and the regulator doesn't think the others need to be charged. Just a guess.

I think that might be because it is a better battery and the regulator doesn't think the others need to be charged. Just a guess.

but once i turn on the a/c  the load  should turn it on regardless

but once i turn on the a/c  the load  should turn it on regardless

Yes so I would think you have a regulator issue. Or a alternator one.

i think thats what MLS is trying to tell me... but  it was fine before i added the module.

i emailed mechman about sending it in and getting the new external module like mark just got...

i think thats what MLS is trying to tell me... but  it was fine before i added the module.

i emailed mechman about sending it in and getting the new external module like mark just got...

Good luck electrical problems are hard to diagnose without being there.

He needs better help please!!!!!!!!!!

i donno what the fuck... but i took out that brand new battery.. put in my old one.. and now im charging at 14.2 14.4 with the a/c on idled up.. and 14 flat at idle hot

Is your mla grounded like an external regulator? If so check the ground.

Is your mla grounded like an external regulator? If so check the ground.

its grounded well

Go over your wiring in the engine compartment again. Doesn't make much sense to have better voltage with an old battery (assuming new battery is working properly). 

Is your alternator boiling hot (sprinkle water on it or spit on it) within a couple minutes of engine start-up at idle with all accessories off? If so that is a good indicator that it has a heavy load on it. This could be an issue with bad connections or bad battery(s).

One more thing. If the alternator has a bad regulator in it or if the regulator is not matched to your vehicle this could be the issue. I experienced this problem with a DC Power alternator.

it does not have a regulator... the computer controls the voltage.. ill check the heat of it friday,  but its back to normal with the old battery...

beats me.

When replacing electronics in newer vehicles, it can take a good 48hrs before voltage levels return back to normal.

It's so the computer can adjust itself.

resetting the ECU may help expidite the process, and personally I would of went with just a regular externally regulated alternator instead of the MLA.

resetting the ECU may help expidite the process, and personally I would of went with just a regular externally regulated alternator instead of the MLA.

i bought the alternator last year,  i was talked out of getting a the external regulated then,  i just weeks ago got the MLA.,.    and was told it would be the solve all from MLA... 

Edited by bigjon

i bought the alternator last year,  i was talked out of getting a the external regulated then,  i just weeks ago got the MLA.,.    and was told it would be the solve all from MLA... 

Yeah I had the same Issue in my mustang with the ECU controlling the voltage.. however mine would hover around 13v lol. I then went externally regulated with it and now everything is just fine, except the warning light on my dash. 

Any chance it could be a bd terminal to the front battery causing a misreading?

I ask because if there was an issue to start with, then you adjust the terminals for the new battery, pull it and put back in the old, you may have re-foundthe sweet spot.

I know it seems funky but is it possible?

J

im anxious to see if goin externally regulated helps. i to drive a lincoln and even with a new alt and new battery w/ big 3 mine only gets to 14.0 first thing in the morning. so im tuned in to see if you find a way around fords wonderful charging system

im anxious to see if goin externally regulated helps. i to drive a lincoln and even with a new alt and new battery w/ big 3 mine only gets to 14.0 first thing in the morning. so im tuned in to see if you find a way around fords wonderful charging system

wanna buy my MLA :D?

it works i just really want to send my alternator in and have i switched to external .. but i just spend 250 on this MLA...