efxtruck

Wiring 2ampsin parallel

Hey guys. 
Ok the is my dilemma. Ihave 2 JBL gti mkii 10" and 2 amps. Ihave fused the voice coils together. Well I assume that's what I've done. One reads at 3.5 ohms and one at 7 ohm. So what I am asking is can I link the subs together to even out the ohm load and then run the amps in parallel. And if so how would I run my speaker wire. I really miss my good out put but I don't want to cook anything and have no system. Please help

Your subs shouldn't read different. Is that the final impedance of them or at each voice coil?

Your subs shouldn't read different. Is that the final impedance of them or at each voice coil?

I clipped my amp a few times and blistered the coils together. The one sub impedance is twice what the other one is.   the gti's the ohm rating is 31/2 ohm or 7ohm depending if u r using the coil jumpers.  

Your terminology doesn't make any sense and do not follow at all what you are stating.

Remove all wiring from every terminal on both subs.

Do ALL 4 terminals(2 per sub) read the same?

If they do not, then do NOT use them together.

So if I connect the subs together they wont even out the ohm load to let's say 5 ohms.?

Is anyone furniture with the JBL GTI they r built a lot different than most subs on the market

If they are different coil configurations which is apparent they are, then wiring them together in ANY orientation will result in one receiving twice the power as the other.

This will cause cancelation and phasing issues because even though the TS parameters of the two may be near identical, there excursion levels will not be which will throw each other off.

Yeah that is the problem that I am having with one amp to each sub. One day they just hammered and the next the out put was weak when I looked back at them they were firing at different time. It really sux ass.

I will tell you this that it took me a while to understand this until i finally did, lol.. 

Ohm's law is in effect at all times and NEVER assume a certain parallel\series wiring configuration in any circumstance will net you more power(manifested from where?) because it won't happen.

Lets take 2 2000w amps.  they do their power at 1ohm.

So that's 4,000w @1ohm.

Strap these amps.

It's now 4,000w @2ohm.

If you start to attempt to deduce the voltage and current output, you would think that the current output on the strapped pair is cut in half because it's at 2ohm instead of 1ohm..

Well, you would be correct except EACH amp is putting out the same current, it's not actually divided between each amp like how it is when wiring 2 subs to 1 amp.

When strapping amps(except for stetsom), they are in a series connection.  Series connection splits voltage across the outputs, not the current.

I'm telling you this because you are trying to find a way to use uneven coil configurations together in unison and it's impossible effectively.

There will be no way around it unless they had the same configuration.

Ok cool. I guess that's kinda what I was asking. Ok so is there a way to hook up 2 amps to one sub if the amp r not strapable

Yes, just wire each coil to the amp.

The amp settings will have to measurably be set the same and receive the same input signal from the same source.

And. again, the coil configurations need to be the same.

Most of what has been said here is true, except for the cancellation portion.

If you have 2 drivers sharing an enclosure, they will be in phase with roughly similar excursion above resonance.  Regardless of power differential between the 2.  One could get 1 watt, one could get 100, they will completely operate in phase above resonance...