shizzzon

I'm in a pickle.. buying LEDs

There is a kit i plan on purchasing but something doesn't add up and the owner of the product doesn't know the current ratings of his own product because he is refusing to answer that question.. 

Here is scenario-

4 strips of 225 3color rgb leds.

the controller it's going to be on is rated for 18A max, 3 channel(6A per channel).

Now, going by what i know.. typical LEDs pull 20mA.

These are 5050 RGB leds which are really 3 leds per LED.. 

5050s pull more than 20mA just in solid color.. 

So, even if i were optimistic and only counted 225 leds per run, at 20mA, that's still 4.5A per strip.. 

There's 4 strips and 3 channels.. 

I've told the owner this and they tell me-

The details are the wiring is simple. Each ring is daisy chain connected to the next and all go to one controller. So one set of wires is all that goes inside the vehicle to one controller. Our controllers are specifically matched to our kits to handle the amount of lights we use with them. This way, we give you everything you need and nothing is under powered, fuses blowing, wires melting, ect.

So if it works.. then it doesn't make any sense.. 

I can buy an amp for this controller.. but it specifically states if you use an amp and do not need it, it will damage the controller... 

The current draw will vary depending on how they are seriesed and or paralleled. Also the strips or controller could have resistors to limit current draw.

I finally got him to tell me that he will not publish certain technical specs of his equipment but will just say that it is safe to work in combination with the controller 100%.. 

I assumed all the leds would be 12v but i assume it's possible they could be lower voltage.  I've just never heard or seen of 5050 leds of any voltage besides 12v.

are you concerned about voltage or current draw?  Voltage will not affect current draw.  Most leds are 1.5 volt and use some type of resistance to retrict current.  if you attach a normal LED on a 12 volt battery it will blow.  Stick a 1000 ohm resistor in line and it'll work fine.

i'm used to oznium since they have all kinds of leds(but not the most inventory from other sites)..

they have a single 5050 LED rated at 12v and i just downloaded their schematic drawing and it says they have a resistor but does not say what value it is.

So what you said sounds more realistic to what's going on here.

I've got a big ole string of 5050's running on a 3A fuse. Lights up all sides of a 23' boat. No idea what the manufacturer did in the controller or strips though, but it is enough light to make the boat look great once it is night. Completely invisible in the day though.

I've seen RGB LEDs with different voltage for the different color. So that might be one thing.