Sign in to follow this  
SacredTanakh

Sp4 box/port

There seems to be a lot of different recommendations for port area size for the sp4 anywhere from 120-160.

For the box I recently built the specs, are 7 cubic ft tuned to 31hz with 150inches of port. The port is double baffled with 45s in the corners, ill post some pictures in a bit. How do you think a fully loaded Fi sp4 18 will do in this box? I haven't designed too many boxes so I hope it is completely right. Also to note ill be running it on a crescendo 3500.

what will be of the dcons? I don't remember your setup/build log.... post linky pls?

There seems to be a lot of different recommendations for port area size for the sp4 anywhere from 120-160.
For the box I recently built the specs, are 7 cubic ft tuned to 31hz with 150inches of port. The port is double baffled with 45s in the corners, ill post some pictures in a bit. How do you think a fully loaded Fi sp4 18 will do in this box? I haven't designed too many boxes so I hope it is completely right. Also to note ill be running it on a crescendo 3500.

Oh this is is just temporary in the bronco, I have getting funds and my truck together for the dcon build. The sp4 will be going in my car, but right now I want to play around with it a bit. :)

Sorry for the typos, I'm typing on my phone and the autocorrect always changes words.. Annoys me.

SP4 is definitely a beast. As subjective as the port area topic is I can honestly say that my 18 sounds good even with not a lot of port. For instance, it's pretty flat with the bottom end rolling off around 23hz and top end peaking up along 48hz. Of course my port area is almost laughable at right at 63.75.. and even more so considering it is right at 10 per cube for 6.34 net tuned at 31hz. You heard that right! This thing still pulling a 146.9 at the head at 33hz. It was all that would fit in such a tiny space without walling. It was honestly just to finish out the Meca season and see what it would do, but man does it sound awesome on music. The poor car is just falling apart. I still have plans to wall anyways, but for now I couldn't be happier!

That is pretty impressive, a lot of people seem to put beastly subs in boxes that weren't to the specs of the subwoofer. which means they aren't getting the full potential of the subwoofer. Trying to get as much as I can out of this 18.

94543068-CE91-4C33-B62E-8AAADAFE8E0B-596

414CDD06-6A11-4178-8F23-11160D2FDEFB-596

229141DA-7FFF-413B-B9EC-1134B2CC8443-596

1EDB98D0-4740-46BC-899C-BEF52D0A7B67-596

BC7AFE4E-65D2-441A-B0D3-752F2182C6B0-596

3EF07954-E4C0-4022-81B9-FFC92605DEBD-596

2D969AD4-78EA-43B8-AADA-38BCD1D660DD-596

Port is going to get painted white, and the rest carpeted black.

Definitely looks pretty beastly. Here is my enclosure for reference.

1074406_4300540250648_1669912418_o.jpg

Nice, I was thinking of painting this box, but I thought about all the sanding I would have to do to make it perfect with all that resin...

Also to note the sub hole is not resined because I don't physically have the subwoofer yet, still waiting on it from Fi. So to make sure the sub fits correctly I left it a little small, so I could sand it down and make it fit when the sub arrives.

That box looks great. Let us know how it performs!

Thanks man, I'm hoping it sounds at least as good as it looks :)

Thanks man, I'm hoping it sounds at least as good as it looks smile.png

I am pretty sure it will. As another that loves tuning to 31hz I can say that I absolutely love it!

I think it will fall off terribly below tuning, this is my opinion based off my taste and preference. Not sure why anyone would need 20+sq in of port and hoping it to sound good. Nice enclosure but the bandwidth will be small as hell

20130726_172035.jpg

heres a pic of my sp418 in my box box was 10.12 before displacement but after sub and port displacement it dropped down to 8.02 it tuned to 35hz ran on a aq 2200

I think it will fall off terribly below tuning, this is my opinion based off my taste and preference. Not sure why anyone would need 20+sq in of port and hoping it to sound good. Nice enclosure but the bandwidth will be small as hell

I was a little worried about having 150, but there's so many different port calculators and then also people on different forums that say in that range. At first my design was 7.7 cubes tuned to 29hz with 120 inches of port. But I thought that might be a little too small. Anyways hopefully your wrong swift, cause I've put a lot of work into this box.

20130726_172035.jpg

heres a pic of my sp418 in my box box was 10.12 before displacement but after sub and port displacement it dropped down to 8.02 it tuned to 35hz ran on a aq 2200

You ever get any numbers from this by chance? As someone running a lot smaller size I am curious of the output on the same amp I have as well. 

20130726_172035.jpg

Such a sexy subwoofer, bet it was loud as hell at that tuning. I though about tuning mine to 26hz so I could play the lows very nicely, but the box would've been massive.

i just installed this in my truck about 2 weeks ago and really havent played around with it that much, ill get it on the meter soon but i can tell a big difference in output from the 2 12's fi qs i had in there before... when i had the q's they were in a box tuned to 29hz so the lows were great but i wanted to see what kind on numbers this sp4 could throw.. so far i like the results as what i have seen so far

This is awesome you guys. You realize we all installed a Fully loaded 18" Sp4 almost exactly 2 weeks apart from eachother? Coincidence perhaps, but still cool as hell.

Well I don't have my sp4 yet, how long did it take for you guys to get yours? I ordered on the 20th of July. So it's only been a couple weeks so far.

I picked mine up brand new from someone local who was gonna do a crazy build but had to back out of it.. only paid 425

Edited by muddybass

I drove over to Swifts and picked it up on an impulse buy cause my wife kept bugging me about getting louder than me.. Funny thing is her car is currently louder than my truck because I blew an amp in a strapped setup.

funny thing that happend i did just about the same thing but caught this one on fire and stuff ill post some pics