Sign in to follow this  
Quentin Jarrell

comparison pictures massive Magnetar coil

left to right: Magnetar (HUGE 270mm MMAG), Ethos, Fi BTL N3 coil

DSC_0161_zps870d9f71.jpg

Fi BTL N3 on left, Magnetar on right

DSC_0163_zps7678ac8e.jpg

DSC_0166_zps371f181f.jpg

Magnetar coil:  76.657mm ID, ~92mm OD, 95mm winding hieght, dual thickness aluminum coil former, 15 gauge aluminum magnet wire

DSC_0167_zpscf4ab65a.jpg

Edited by Quentin Jarrell

How do you not sacrifice output or linearity by having a humungous gap?

shizzzon, on 06 Aug 2013 - 19:43, said:

How do you not sacrifice output or linearity by having a humungous gap?

MMAG technology. granted this is the spl coil so linear xmax is only ~10mm. magnetic force in both gaps are within a few percent. The daily coil would sit center of the "humps" which are the toplplates. As the coil loses force form one gap it gains in the other. The daily coil offers ~45mm one way linear xmax. What you see below is the magnetic force across the moving range of the coil

coilBngraph_zps70fd9d96.jpg

Edited by Quentin Jarrell

Mms is going to be nuts.  Hope this motor is really that strong.

BL of ~69 at 1 ohm.   motor force factor ~ 4,761

What motor will be using it?

Not a good pic but all I have at the moment.  270mm OD with two 1 inch thick magnets.  Two 1 inch thick top plates.

image_zpsdbeb8cbb.jpg

unforgivable!!! and gorgeous

I am no way a SPL guy I have ZERO experience competing so I will be looking for seasoned competitors to do testing to see if it is a viable option.

To give a few comparisons as far as motor strength the two big neo's out there, the DDZ has a BL of ~35 and the IA warden is a bit stronger.

The typical sensitivity on a average sub is in the upper 80's DB at 1 watt 1 meter. The Magnetar with SPL coil with 10 hard spiders would have a sensitivity of ~102. Couple that with the massive amount of power it could handle it could have the ability to get pretty loud in knowledgeable hands.

Sounds insane, Can't wait to see it in action :)

excited1.gif

Preorder details please!!!

I love the heavy windings. I'd like to see a coil like that in motor similar to the LMS ultra. Maybe a tad thicker top plate. Huge xmax. 

I love the heavy windings. I'd like to see a coil like that in motor similar to the LMS ultra. Maybe a tad thicker top plate. Huge xmax. 

The daily coil on this motor is 45mm one way linear.  The the two gaps in sync including the stray flux fields is 90mm.  In a watered down explaination of this motor is basically a motor with a 90mm thick top plate (that has even saturation, impossible normal large top plate designs) with a 50mm winding width underhung coil 

excited1.gif

Preorder details please!!!

If a viable option as a production driver it would run ~$800 shipped

What are the pending variables from keeping this a production driver? If not for production, will you still offer as an custom order?

im looking at these and im thinking to my self that this maybe a great driver for street beat competing in usaci  (30 seconds of balls out music abuse at high power)  im interested in more details no doubt.

What are the pending variables from keeping this a production driver? If not for production, will you still offer as an custom order?

Daily coil will be no problem.  Still a beefy ~3,000 watt rms coil, but still big hump in response due to BL.  MFF on daily coil is in the 400 range, still really too high for a "musical" sub but still capable of playing music.

The SPL coil will pose some problems:

1.  motor force WAY WAY beyond musical levels.  I highly doubt it'll sound decent at all due to response on paper.  But there has never been a motor this strong built that I or any of my suppliers are aware of so it'll just have to be built to find out.

2.  Again motor force, it has twice the motor force of a IA warden which actually has more force than the DDZ.  Very small amounts of power will excite the coil, sensitivity with 10 hard spiders which is equivalent to 3,650 grams at one mm, or taking 9 pounds of weight to move the coil one mm, is around 102 DB at one watt one meter.  This much force will more than likely rip the spiders from the coil and frame and might crush the cone.  I am working on custom triple rings and other stuff along with a better glue than CA to assemble them.

3.  The weight of the motor.  It weighs 96 pounds.  Serious stress will be created on the basket so this will have to be looked at.

On the other hand theoretically due to the incredibly high motor force and sensitivity it would be possible to run a "normal" spider pack and run small amounts of power to achieve xmax.  For example you could run 1,000 watts to the sub and it would be just as loud as a sub that is rated for 2 or 3 thousand watts.  Think of it as a cheater sub.  Now this is just based on physics and may not work.  But if you take a speaker with a sensitivity of 102 and compare it to a speaker with a sensitivity of 87 then the higher sensitivity speaker should be louder on the same power.