Sign in to follow this  
Quentin Jarrell

"Primo" subwoofer updated with heat ring

I had a sample of this driver sent along with the Ethos production run.  I don't have pics of the actual motor yet.  When Nick slows down a bit he will send some to me with some group shots off all the motors I had made.

This driver offers 22.5mm xmax per overhang method.  It will be ~27mm per the typical 70% BL rating.  The entire stoke of the coil is covered in aluminum faraday rings.  All the way from the bottom plate up to about 20mm above the top plate.

As long as prices stay the same I plan on releasing the Beta version which uses open tooled soft parts for $375 shipped for the 12 inch.  

RMS rating should be in the 1,000 watt range and enclosure recommendations will be small with a very low roll off, around 25 hertz with a flat response curve.

Below is a drawing of the motor, may have some actual pics next week.

MMAG220-225cutview_zps3f9f2e43.jpg

Below is the coil.  It is a pure copper 8 layer dual one ohm coil with 22.5mm winding width.  Induction will be very low on this motor.

DSC_0168_zpsa94979b7.jpg

DSC_0169_zpsd71b58b6.jpg

DSC_0170_zps00626e31.jpg

pic of the Primo coil next to the Ethos coil.

DSC_0171_zps7f35d519.jpg

Yes, I think I shall have one of these when they're finally available.  I love the idea of a low inductance, fair excursion and very linear driver.

When are we looking at as far as eta?

Perfect that'll give me enough time to play with the ethos first.

~6 months

Just in time for my play money!

~6 months

Just in time for my play money!

I'm going to be pushing to get them ready for the middle of income tax time.  I'll have enough baskets and soft parts left over from the Ethos production so the only thing I'll have to have made will be the motors.

That's kewl.  I get my bonus the first week of March and that's my audio play money.  :D

sweet!

:fing34: what else is in your lineup or is it just gonna be subs.

As capital flows everything car audio related except headunits

Interesting

Interesting

Everything will be in cycles. Example the Ethos, primo, then amps to power them. From there Pat will work with Vance to develop components being they are far beyond my realm of knowledge (all components will be MMAG and Vance is THE Guru for crossover design) then high amps. Then whatever the market wants as far as power levels and price.

Hmmm ... May have to sign up to be your beta tester when you have a pair of 12s ready !!!

Think you will be able to set something up to run 8 ohms mono ???

Coils will have dual coils and have an Re of 1 and 2.

A dual 4 would leave too much space in the gap causing a loss in force. A different gap would need to be made. It's possible but I do t For see many people running higher than 4 ohm.

I would need a pair of dual 2 ohm drivers to series them up so the amplifier can see 8 ohms ...

I had a long talk with Enrique the other day.  And he gave some suggestions to improve the overall performance of the driver.  

1.  First and for-most the gaps needed tweaking.  The troughs between the gaps were a little high in flux.  So I needed to seperate the gaps a little.  In the process of doing this I decreased the thickness of the plates, increasing the flux intensity while doing so actually allowing less magnet needed in the motor.

2.  Being I did not need as much magnet between the top plates I was able to include a heat ring between the bottom top plate and the upper magnet.  The ring will have sinks on the interior and exterior a kin to a amplifier heat sink.  The ring itself will (8) channels cut into it radiating outward.  The pumping action will pull air from outside of the motor directly onto the coil while also pulling air across the heat sinks further drwing heat from the coil.

3.  Due to the geometry changes on the top plates I was also able to shrink the coil 2mm

4.  faraday rings were added to the pole which is more effective than having faraday rings outside the coil.

Doing this we get less impedance rise due to less heat, less induction due to shorter coil, less induction due to faraday rings on the pole, and increased power rating.  Also the aluminum heat ring helps reduce flux modulation of the gap keeping BL more linear. 

Below  is a cut view of the motor and the heat ring.  The heat ring has been colored blue in the motor.  Depending on the capabilities the dimensions of the sinks could change.

primocutviewwithheatring_zps6998e5a0.jpg

primoheatringjpeg_zps7aa8f546.jpg

As is the heat ring gives the coil ~100 inchs^2 of surface area to radiate heat onto.  Or and area 10 x 10 inches.  If you have ever touched the motor of a sub after playing a while you can image how much heat this could help get rid of.  Especially since cool air will be pulled directly over the heat ring directly onto the coil.

That heatsink looks complex. I'm curious to see how it gets made.

It would be cast and then polish cut.

It would be cast and then polish cut.

O_o DANG! Compromise nothing. Cant wait to see the results. :)

3d rendering of the motor with the ring.  As you can see cool air will be sucked by the pumping action of the coil directly into the gap while radiant heat will be absorbed by the heat ring.  Final dimensions may change but it shows the general idea.

Primo3dcutviewno2_zps1d24642f.jpg

Primo3dcutviewno1_zps8327b5b5.jpg

Primo3dcutviewno3_zps15058f57.jpg

Primo3dcutviewno4_zps8bae5234.jpg

Primo3dcutviewno5_zpse2965f26.jpg

Primo3dcutviewno6_zpsdf56791a.jpg

i dont know.. Your copper is oxidizing in those pics, hehe.