Sign in to follow this  
SacredTanakh

Mechman 260

i would start looking at my wiring, it sounds like there may be a shaffed wire or something.. maybe grounding out  here and there causing a failure

I hooked up a 100$ dollar generic 1 wire 70 amp GM alternator and my voltage is 14.4-14.5 even after warming up. My voltage also snaps back up much faster, although my voltage does drop more when I push it to a certain point, but that is to be expected because of its low amp level.

Its all the mechman alternator, my wiring is perfect. Ive also asked for a smaller pulley several times, I'm still working with him to try to get the alternator to the specifications I was actually told.

When I did my wiring I soldered everything in the terminals, shrink tubing on the edge of the terminals and wire, and made sure everything was right. The zero gauge I have has an extra thick coating, there is no way it could have chaffed this quickly even if I had been very sloppy.. which I wasn't.

Edited by SacredTanakh

Just wondering do you have room to use a smaller serpentine belt/have you tried to use one?

Edited by DanP

Just wondering do you have room to use a smaller serpentine belt/have you tried to use one?

Its not a serpentine belt, its the V style belt.

Wouldn't help to use a smaller belt since everything is tight, and its clearly the alt when two other alternators that have been on the truck do perfectly fine. Not to mention these haven't failed not once, in comparison to the mechman alternator which has failed twice.

Edited by SacredTanakh

i didnt mean your wiring persay..  factory harness so forth....

run your 100 buck alt for a while... see if it fails too..

hope you figure it out bro.. i know how frustrating it can be

Thanks man, it's very frustrating. I'm going to go through all my wiring that has to do with the alt when I get the mechman back and re check everything just to be sure. Also buying a battery hopefully, I'm a little low on funds atm because of purchasing the BC3500.

I'm also not really sure how people run 4000+ watts on a sp4. I'm running the 3500 and it's gets pretty hot after a couple mins. Little smelly when it does get hot, but it's still fairly new. Might just be burning off excess glue.

Thanks man, it's very frustrating. I'm going to go through all my wiring that has to do with the alt when I get the mechman back and re check everything just to be sure. Also buying a battery hopefully, I'm a little low on funds atm because of purchasing the BC3500.

I'm also not really sure how people run 4000+ watts on a sp4. I'm running the 3500 and it's gets pretty hot after a couple mins. Little smelly when it does get hot, but it's still fairly new. Might just be burning off excess glue.

It's cause these things are super sensitive to the slightest of clipping. I can smell it up quick with an Aq2200 no problem. Sure I'm running half ohm and that doesn't help either. Truth is I don't play mine hard unless I demo for someone. I mainly burp at a show and turn the gain know down to listening volume. You get that alt thing worked out and it should help whenever you're above 1700 rpm for sure.

It's cause these things are super sensitive to the slightest of clipping. I can smell it up quick with an Aq2200 no problem. Sure I'm running half ohm and that doesn't help either. Truth is I don't play mine hard unless I demo for someone. I mainly burp at a show and turn the gain know down to listening volume. You get that alt thing worked out and it should help whenever you're above 1700 rpm for sure.

Heh actually I think I was a little quick on the draw, I was playing it a ton today for a couple friends, and the only time it got hot was maxed out as far as my voltage would allow on 40hz, seems to get hot fairly quickly with the higher notes, but stays just warm when on the lower notes.

Think it was just getting smelly as it was breaking in.

I definitely agree that these higher power subs are sensitive to clipping from what I've experienced so far.

Edited by SacredTanakh