Purplehaze

Solo X 15 (V.2) Sub-woofer build log

I'd have to say 39ish

Closest guess yet.  Good guess.

Here they are, fs is a little high, but it's not bad really for what it is.  Overall I am pleased.

* This data was exported from DATS the Dayton Audio Test System

* Manufacturer: Purplehaze

* Model: Solo X 15 v.2

* Piston Diameter = 355.6 mm

* f(s)= 41.06 Hz

* R(e)= 0.63 Ohms

* Z(max)= 22.92 Ohms

* Q(ms)= 16.276

* Q(es)= 0.457

* Q(ts)= 0.444

* V(as)= 49.620 liters     (1.752 cubic feet)

* L(e)= 1.55 mH

* n(0)= 0.99 %

* SPL= 92.07 1W/1m

* M(ms)= 337.70 grams

* C(ms)= 0.04 mm/N

Now what do you all think?  

Piston diameter is from surround apex to apex. Maybe you measured to the outside of the surround?

Qms is high

Sensitivity looks like a 2 volt rating not 1w

MMS is low (the Added mass method isn't accurate on large drivers). Should be closer to 450 grams.

If you click the print preview you can see the BL product listed.

Piston diameter is from surround apex to apex. Maybe you measured to the outside of the surround?

Qms is high

Sensitivity looks like a 2 volt rating not 1w

MMS is low (the Added mass method isn't accurate on large drivers). Should be closer to 450 grams.

If you click the print preview you can see the BL product listed.

Good eye, you are right.  Several mistakes were made when I did this test, so I will be re-testing soon. 

First, yes I measured the OD of the surround, not the apex.  Oops.

Second, I was wired parallel, and now I was told it should have been in series for this test.

And third I had a temporary dust cap taped on, and your right, added mass method isn't the best for large drivers. 

I messed that up all the way around!   So these # are inaccurate sad.png

Good thing is, (a) I am not to proud to admit my mistakes, I am actually eager to find them and learn from them.

And (b) I ordered a DATS for myself, so I can learn how to properly use it, and get some accurate data for this driver, and all subs I build. 

Should be here Saturday, but I'm also waiting on a carbon fiber cap from DC, which probably wont make it until next week. 

But I will re-test until I get it right, and post up the results upon doing so.

Question for you sir:  Which method is best to use for larger drivers, or which one would you use? 

And thank you for your input and help!

Very nice looking driver

Thanks man!   How is your build coming along?  

Edited by Purplehaze

Purplehaze, on 22 Aug 2013 - 07:52, said:

Cablguy184, on 22 Aug 2013 - 07:27, said:

Very nice looking driver

Thanks man! How is your build coming along?
The car has been put on hold while we get the truck ready for World Finals ...

New paint, headliner, tires, engine work, and of course ... ALOT of Sound Quality tuning and gain matching ...

I will be in MECA MODDEX as my classifiaction this year, but I'm thinking about signing up USACI Extreme just once to go head to head with Todd Crowder's Camaro just to see how my truck does against the absolute best in the world ...

I'm sure he will blow my doors off, but you never know ...

It's always best to physically weigh the soft parts or "half mass". Which is

Cone with half of the edge cut off

Half of the spider and leads (cut half way between OD and coil OD

Dustcap

All glue assembling the parts (cap to body (cone), body to coil, spider to coil)

Just a guesstimate from experience:

Coil= 150grams

Body and edge (cone & surround)= 100grams

Spiders and leads (4spiders total)= 50grams

Cap=15 grams

Glue=40 grams

So Mmd should be closer to 350-375 grams. With the air load the Mms should be in the 375-400 neighborhood.

I'd remeasure the piston area, retest and see what happens.

Purplehaze, on 22 Aug 2013 - 07:52, said:

Cablguy184, on 22 Aug 2013 - 07:27, said:

Very nice looking driver

Thanks man! How is your build coming along?
The car has been put on hold while we get the truck ready for World Finals ...

New paint, headliner, tires, engine work, and of course ... ALOT of Sound Quality tuning and gain matching ...

I will be in MECA MODDEX as my classifiaction this year, but I'm thinking about signing up USACI Extreme just once to go head to head with Todd Crowder's Camaro just to see how my truck does against the absolute best in the world ...

I'm sure he will blow my doors off, but you never know ...

Very cool!  I would love to see that matchup!  

I'm sure you will do better than you think... and hey you never know, like you said!

Yeah I haven't seen the build log for the truck in a while, guess I better go check that out now. 

It's always best to physically weigh the soft parts or "half mass". Which is

Cone with half of the edge cut off

Half of the spider and leads (cut half way between OD and coil OD

Dustcap

All glue assembling the parts (cap to body (cone), body to coil, spider to coil)

Just a guesstimate from experience:

Coil= 150grams

Body and edge (cone & surround)= 100grams

Spiders and leads (4spiders total)= 50grams

Cap=15 grams

Glue=40 grams

So Mmd should be closer to 350-375 grams. With the air load the Mms should be in the 375-400 neighborhood.

I'd remeasure the piston area, retest and see what happens.

Thanks man.  I appreciate the help. 

I will do exactly that as soon as I get the DATS, should be Saturday.  The one I used was borrowed/ returned.

But I ordered one yesterday, so hopefully by Sat. I'll have it.  Thanks again!

Very cool!  I would love to see that matchup!  

I'm sure you will do better than you think... and hey you never know, like you said!

Yeah I haven't seen the build log for the truck in a while, guess I better go check that out now.

I need to update my build logs ... been slacking lately

Been concentrating too much on those damn HID projectors instead of the system ...

can we get a video of this beast in action?

Yes sir, as soon as I build a box for it, and upgrade my Expo's electric, I will have lots of vids in action. 

Till then, the best I can do is maybe a free-air/ break-in video sometime this week.

FS should drop after break in. 

You are right, it should.  I sure hope so. 

I'm about to free-air soon, see if that helps. 

Plus I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong with this program...

So does anyone want to take a look at the new numbers, and try and help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?
I'm definitely not doing something right. 

Very nice!!! What type of paint did you use on the top and bottom plate? And did you paint the basket yourself?

And I'm guessing you got those spiders from ultra_audio on ebay (he has spiders with the exact style lead setup as yours, which is what I also used on my build). If so, I have asked him and he confirmed they are rated as medium/hard stiffness. You can hit up Zeuslicious on car audio classifieds or caraudio.com and he can sell you soft 10" spiders to help bring that FS down for the next build.

Very nice!!! What type of paint did you use on the top and bottom plate? And did you paint the basket yourself?

And I'm guessing you got those spiders from ultra_audio on ebay (he has spiders with the exact style lead setup as yours, which is what I also used on my build). If so, I have asked him and he confirmed they are rated as medium/hard stiffness. You can hit up Zeuslicious on car audio classifieds or caraudio.com and he can sell you soft 10" spiders to help bring that FS down for the next build.

Cool deal, thank you!   I appreciate that.   Yeah I get all my parts from Jorge or David @PSi.  But hell yeah, I'm always down for finding more quality parts hook-ups!   Thanks again! 

Oh and yes sir, I did all the painting.  The top/ bottom plate I used "Black Night Metallic" from Rustoleum. and the frame is "Cherry Red" American Accents, both with the American Accents semi-gloss clear coat.   The frame was color sanded twice, in between coats. 

I am very pleased with the finish on all of the parts to this sub.  I took my time, and it paid off...

Okay so when I last left off, I was waiting for the dust cap.  Well it came in, and I'd already had two logos cut for it, one in black & one in silver, so I could decide which one to use.  It still took me almost two days to decide, and I finally went with the black.  Btw I know these are simple logo's, but I completely designed them, they use different fonts for each letter, so I know they are "different".   I think it's perfect.  "SX V2" - I call mine v.2 because PSi already did them, but mine is a different version, hence the "V.2". 

So here is the cap and logos, right after getting the cap in the mail.  The bottom is my original printout.

100_6126.jpg

So then I taped up the bottom plate of a 10" Kicker L7, to use for weight to press the cap down while the glue sets up.

100_6128.jpg

100_6130.jpg

100_6137.jpg

Done.  And this one, I did a good job, no glue where it's not supposed to be wink.gif

100_6138.jpg

100_6139.jpg

After letting it setup for 24 hours, time to put the logo on, and call the project finished.  (Well almost, still want to put some tech-flex on the wires)

100_6173.jpg

100_6179.jpg

100_6156.jpg

100_6190.jpg

100_6183.jpg

100_6188.jpg

100_6156.jpg

100_6157.jpg

100_6158.jpg

And here are the parameters I came up with.  I don't know that they are all accurate, b/c this is a large driver, with a SUPER tight suspension, and the "added mass method" is just not the best way to do the test.  But unfortunately, it's the only way I know to do it.  So here is what I came up with...

* This data was exported from DATS the Dayton Audio Test System
* Manufacturer: Trent Stover - Purplehaze
* Model: Solo X 15 V.2
* Piston Diameter = 330.2 mm
* f(s)= 41.43 Hz
* R(e)= 2.96 Ohms
* Z(max)= 87.24 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 15.693
* Q(es)= 0.551
* Q(ts)= 0.532
* V(as)= 41.900 liters     (1.480 cubic feet)
* L(e)= 6.31 mH
* n(0)= 0.73 %
* SPL= 90.71 1W/1m
* M(ms)= 288.80 grams
* C(ms)= 0.04 mm/N
* BL= 31.27

Now the main #'s I'm not sure about are the Qms (seems too high), the Vas (got different #'s every time), the Mms (too low 4 sure) and the Bl (also too low).  I'm sure the fs will drop once it gets broke in, and the other stuff could be wrong due to my inability to use a different method.  So anyway, what do you all think? 

That's one really nice looking driver.  I really like the cap.

BL is low due to the Mms.  If you run the test with a given Mmd say 350 you will see that it will increase a bit.  I wouldn't be too concerned  I'm sure it'll do well.

Looks good to me. 

Thank you.

That's one really nice looking driver.  I really like the cap.

BL is low due to the Mms.  If you run the test with a given Mmd say 350 you will see that it will increase a bit.  I wouldn't be too concerned  I'm sure it'll do well.

Thanks man. 

That's what I figure too, so I'm just gonna build a couple of enclosures and see what she does.

I'm thinking far a daily box, 5 cubes, tuned around 35hz. 

For a burp box, maybe 3 - 5ft3 and a 8 - 10" external areo port, tuned up around 47 or so. 

What do you fellas think?   Any opinions on the enclosures?   

great job.....and great skills

great job.....and great skills

Looks sexy

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Very nice work, thanks for sharing the progress.

Very nice work, thanks for sharing the progress.

No problem, glad to!   And thank you for the compliment! 

I just don't understand why it doesn't get anymore attention than it does...   maybe it's the title.

Is there any way for me to edit the thread title?