slim142

What happens when the box is ported and TOO big?

Question in title

If a subwoofer is meant for a 1.6 cubic ft ported enclosure, but let say I put it in a 1.8 or 2.0 cubic ft one, what exactly are the risks and/or consequences?

Also, what would happen if a port is too small for the sub? what if the port is too big (too wide/long)?

Normally a boost in response around tuning.

port area too small = chuffing.  port area too big = tunneling effect.  port extremely too big= sub unloading (port area bigger than the sub itself)

Normally a boost in response around tuning.

port area too small = chuffing.  port area too big = tunneling effect.  port extremely too big= sub unloading (port area bigger than the sub itself)

Im sorry english is not my first language.

What exactly does chuffing mean?

Also, what does tunneling effect mean? Im assuming that cave effect-like sound when driving through long tunnels?

When you say boost in response around tuning, does that always (or most of the times) mean louder bass?

Chuffing = the noise produced when blowing hard through a straw. Not a whistle but being able to hear the air flowing.

Yes creates a hollow echo like sound

Yes, increase in bass

Chuffing = the noise produced when blowing hard through a straw. Not a whistle but being able to hear the air flowing.

Yes creates a hollow echo like sound

Yes, increase in bass

I see

Im going to take that "increase in bass" as a "risk taken only if you know what you are doing" since I believe reading here long time ago, if your box is too big, mechanical failure can happen to the subwoofer due to inefficiency to have "control" of the enclosure. Please correct me if Im wrong.

The enclosure acts as a spring. The larger the box is, the less hold the spring has on the subwoofer. It allows the subwoofer to move with less power.

Going from 1.6 to 2 cubes isn't that big of a jump for risks or anything like that.

Going from 1.6 to 2 cubes isn't that big of a jump for risks or anything like that.

Pretty much what I was thinking. 

So going for a bigger enclosure than what the manufacturer recommends is not really "bad", and actually "good" (as long as you know what you are doing)?

Not when it's that small of an increase. I wouldn't be goin 4 cubes per 12 but 2 from the 1.6 would be fine and can help give a boost around tuning. Also if you're running less than rated power a bigger box is what you will want. If you need a box design I can help you with it.

Not when it's that small of an increase. I wouldn't be goin 4 cubes per 12 but 2 from the 1.6 would be fine and can help give a boost around tuning. Also if you're running less than rated power a bigger box is what you will want. If you need a box design I can help you with it.

I understand now

I have just finished installing 2 Pioneer champion PRO (TS-W3002D2 wired @ 2ohm) on my Sundown 3500D. Each chamber has 1.6 and custom box made to fit my bmw 328i

Previously , I only had one on a box that seemed to be between 2 and 2.5 cubic ft and seems like it was hitting lower (with my previous 2500D). Not sure if the box size could be the reason or maybe my filters need a little adjustment. However, this time I decided to go for manufacturer specs just for safety reasons. Even the ports were done specially for the model (3inch diameter and 2.5 inch deep).

999198_10152133848404619_1596040238_n_zp

1230038_10152134024169619_556379731_n_zp

Edited by slim142

That port looks way to small!! Is that what you have now in the bottom pic?

Need more port area, WAY more port area.

Yeah that's acting like a leaky sealed box.

Could someone explain the tunneling effect in more detail? I can't find anything about it. It creates a "hollow echo like sound", is there another way to describe this? And would the tunneling effect change the loudness as well, or just the sound quality/acuracy? And how can you estimate how much port is too much and will give you the tunneling effect so it can be avoided? 

And with the port larger than the sub it will unload? Is this no matter what, or I thought the sub unloading was just when you play below your tuning frequency? Then this would mean port area should be no larger than the Sd of the woofer? For example a 12" sub with a Sd of 481cm^2, which is about 74.56sq in, so port should be no larger than that or else you risk unloading? 

I have been wondering what the adverse effects of large port area could be, and detailed info would be great (Knowledge is power!)

That port looks way to small!! Is that what you have now in the bottom pic?

Need more port area, WAY more port area.

Yeah that's acting like a leaky sealed box.

Thats what I thought in first place. Also, considering the port length is only 2.5 inches deep, I cannot find any other reason why the subs are not hitting at all.

I used to have only one of them before, the port was a lot bigger and that one was hitting harder and lower than these two in that box.

I guess monday Im returning that box.

Can you recommend me a builder in this forum? Im honestly tired of car shops at this point. Never again.

Holy shit you payed a shop for that? That's terrible man, are you capable of building one yourself? If not dc creations on here does nice work.

Holy shit you payed a shop for that? That's terrible man, are you capable of building one yourself? If not dc creations on here does nice work.

Unfortunately, I did.

And honestly, it doesnt even reflect the price that I paid for it.

I cant build one myself. Im starting school (Im 22) on Monday. Im willing to talk to people here to see how much would a box cost me for my application. This really ruined my weekend as I spent 3 days getting this installed just to end up with a shitty enclosure and less than half of the bass I used to have a year ago.

Unfortunately, I did.

I cant build one myself. Im starting school (Im 22) on Monday. Im willing to talk to people here to see how much would a box cost me for my application. This really ruined my weekend as I spent 3 days getting this installed just to end up with a shitty enclosure and less than half of the bass I used to have a year ago.

That sucks. Was that box a prefab? Or dis that shop build it?

Dc creations does good work, pro-rabbit is the guy to talk to.

Just sent a request to DC creations. Hopefully they dont take long to answer.

Unfortunately, I did.

Yeah I hear you. I normally build my own enclosures, and have built many for people on the forums but I just placed an order with Dc as I have 0 time to build at the moment. Dustin has been very good with communication.

Just sent a request to DC creations. Hopefully they dont take long to answer.

I hope you get what you want out of the new enclosure, it should turn out good

creates a hollow echo like sound

That's all? Bueller.... ?

No one can explain the tunneling effect in more detail (or other effects of a large port)?