onebadmonte

DIY Soundgroup Zephyr build

nice looking drivers, what are they?

The driver is from DIY Sound Group, its their Denovo Audio DNA-360 compression driver. Nearly identical to the B&C DE-250 compression driver, the only differance is that one is made by B&C and the other by DIY Sound Group. :P Oh, and the price is different. :D

very very interesting, 

Only 2 verys? Pff. :D

Thanls for the info man, might buy two pair (car and home). Let me know if you wanna build me a pair of cabinets :P:

Thanls for the info man, might buy two pair (car and home). Let me know if you wanna build me a pair of cabinets tongue.png:

Ha, I doubt you'd wanna wait for me to build you some cabinets, I'm not even done with my own. :D No prob on the info. They are suppose to be some nice compression drivers. If that turns out to be the case I might replace my Dayton CDs in the suburban with a pair of these. :-O

Trust me I'm in no rush myself, definitely tuned into how these turn out.

Ha, so this is where I left this thread. :P Needless to say, time flies when you're not in jail. :D

Back to the task at hand. So, I wanted to do something special with this build. I am going to wrap the baffle in black leather. I did something similar in my cars' I.B. build. Some might be familiar with the story but for those who aren't, here goes. The black leather is salvaged from the first sofas me and the Misses bought together 15 yrs ago. That's it. :P I did this, so that when ever the Misses looks at them she is reminded of our time together and not the amount of money I've spent on my shenanigans. :D Now the pics.

The before:

DSC06723_zpsc9b38238.jpg

During:

DSC06724_zpsf30d02c4.jpg

The after:

DSC06727_zps145ad682.jpg

While the glue dries on that I made some mounting pads for the crossover.

Here I am milling out some clearance pockets to clear all the zip ties holding the crossover components. The scissor jack controls the Z depth, and my hands control and the X and Y moves. That just happened. :P

CAM00114_zps628a88dc.jpg

As an added measure I lined the backside of the crossover with a piece of adhesive lined felt. Just because I can. :D

DSC06741_zps99e56ac3.jpg

The finished product.

DSC06738_zpsbe4b7f99.jpg

More on the way, stay tuned. :)

Looks really nice. Always wondered what these would sound like finished.

Well, where do I begin? I'll be up front. Things have not gone the way I imagined them to go. Here is how it all went down.

A little filler to smooth things out. biggrin.png

DSC06742_zpsd29f5de8.jpg

Filler for the filler?

DSC06765_zps42b0707b.jpg

A little primer, inside and out.

DSC06766_zps2925da00.jpg

DSC06769_zps466e6410.jpg

By this time I had had my fill of sanding. Little did I know this was just the beginning. I do not own any sort of painting gear besides a couple of chip brushes and some rollers. With that I mind I figured I'd use some high quality exterior paint from the big orange hardware store. The paint being acrylic, I figured I could wet sand it and bam be done. Well.....

First thing first, the baffle goes on.

DSC06772_zps8ca9c95b.jpg

After a couple of layers of paint this is what I'm starting with. A couple of passes with some sand paper and it'll be like if the can is on a mirror... Right.... tongue.png

DSC06776_zpsf2748ac4.jpg

It was a disaster. The fine grit sandpaper had such a grip on the paint I had to use a 3"x3" block to minimize the footprint. Then managing the water and keeping it from wicking into the exposed mdf edges was a nightmare. Then this happened. sad.png

IMG_2062_zpsa8421407.jpg

I said the, "The hell with this sh!t! I'm getting this bish together now!"

Before that though, I embraced my flaws.

DSC06782_zpsb75ac2da.jpg

The crossovers in place.

DSC06785_zps5fc272d9.jpg

DSC06786_zps5038dfc9.jpg

Here is the modified brace for proper air flow in and out of the port, because I measured once and now I had to cut twice. :\

DSC06783_zpsc1ed03d3.jpg

At this point I'd like to mention how awesome socket head sheet metal screws are. They made installing the crossover a dream come true after I totally frustrated myself with #10 pan head philips screws.

DSC06787_zps2ab00984.jpg

The woofer

DSC06801_zps1fc44640.jpg

The finished product.

DSC06805_zpsc6a14a1b.jpg

DSC06804_zps338f16cb.jpg

Thank you for your patients.

Looking good. Acrylic paints are water based, and absorb moisture... Not good for wet sanding unfortunately. Nice too see you decided to go with and embrace the mistakes. Gives character to product for sure.