edouble101

Setting goals for a healthier lifestyle - mud runs

November of 2012 I was fed up with my inactive lifestyle. I was drinking a case of beer a week and over eating at every meal. I decided I was going to start to run again as well as do mild weight training and put more thought into my diet. I also registered for a Warrior Dash that was in August 2013. This would help motivate me to make a change. My goal was to be able to run this in a decent time. A few weeks into my running and my knees were in constant pain. A soreness that bothered me all day every day. February 2013 I was diagnosed with degenerative joint disease in my knees. I supplemented my diet with Fish Oils and Glucosamine Chondroitin. After a couple months these supplements along with stretching alleviated all of my knee pain! Since January of this year I have lost almost 30lbs of fat. I am not quite where i want to be with my physical conditioning but I am getting close!

I was road running. I was also having some deep muscle soreness in the sides of my calf muscle that I was not able to ease. I purchased running shoes that are suitable for my gate and stopped running roads. I strictly run on trails only. I am very fortunate to have a lot of state game lands and state parks near my house. I wear a pair of Inov-8 X-Talon 212 for muddy trails. Awesome shoes! Here are a few pictures of the trails that I run. 

0802131519b_zpsb506a80e.jpg

0801131531_zpsbb759025.jpg

0808131707-1_zps7f105a28.jpg

0813131615-1_zps635a3822.jpg

The weight training that I do is mostly body weight type of exercise. Pull ups and push ups are a staple in my exercise plan. I do my workouts in my garage. I bought my pull up bar and dip bar at http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/  I have a 80lbs heavy bag and a double end bag that I use occasionally for cardio. A majority of my workouts are crossfit based. Here are a few pics of my garage set up.

photo1_zpsf59ee940.jpg

photo2_zps739ddaf2.jpg

photo4_zps8a278faa.jpg

photo5_zpsf91abef2.jpg

I got a phone call in the evening on July 2012. A buddy said that he has an extra ticket for the Spartan Race that was the next day! Of course I said hell yeah but I really had no training for this. I am very happy that I did it. It was awesome!!!! The event was at Blue Mountain ski area. We had to run up and down a mountain with 15 obstacles. I finished 281 out of 5635.

EClarkPhoto-0243_zps0e11cbd4.jpg

EClarkPhoto-0249_zpse1223651.jpg

EClarkPhoto-0254_zpsb40208b2.jpg

EClarkPhoto-0262_zps71d2176e.jpg

Yesterday I ran the Warrior Dash that motivated me to exercise from the start. The Warrior Dash was fun and much easier than the Spartan Race. I finished 150 out of 7118.

photo_zpsedec7052.jpg

Anybody that is looking to be healthier through exercise and diet can use mud runs like I did for motivation. They are a lot of fun and is a great event to do with family and friends.

nice setup and great motivation!

If you have a chance sign up for one of the Spartan, Warrior Dash or Savage races. There are more but I haven't tried them yet.

I am doing the Savage Race tomorrow!! 5-7miles with 15 obstacles iirc.

If I had money to spend to race I would be .... is that you with the nipple ring??? lol ... sessy boiiii !!!

If you have a chance sign up for one of the Spartan, Warrior Dash or Savage races. There are more but I haven't tried them yet.

I am doing the Savage Race tomorrow!! 5-7miles with 15 obstacles iirc.

Lol @ the nipple ring comment, yes that is me.

Save up for a race. Most people have a blast doing these.

lmao

Lol @ the nipple ring comment, yes that is me.

Save up for a race. Most people have a blast doing these.

I know... I will do it soon, before the end of fall season ... 

This weekend I ran the Savage Race, 5 miles and 25 obstacles. Cold day at 45 degrees!

EClarkPhoto-1100_zps9045129e.jpg

EClarkPhoto-1213_zpsf7a6e790.jpg

EClarkPhoto-1212_zps2d01b5f5.jpg

EClarkPhoto-1172_zpsfc1f6f37.jpg

Sprint at the start

EClarkPhoto-1119-2_zpsd4ae4169.jpg

The first obstacle was being submersed in ice water

EClarkPhoto-1127_zps5e51e55c.jpg

Sawtooth Bars was fun

EClarkPhoto-1343_zps627e2188.jpg

Big jump

EClarkPhoto-1389_zps934d1519.jpg

We ran in then non-competitive heat. I finished 1st in my age group and 8th overall. Going forward I will only run the competitive heats.

EClarkPhoto-1488_zps218616d4.jpg

So far this is the most fun that I had at a mud run. The obstacles were awesome!

Edited by edouble101