Intro_zps2e7dc162.jpg

In this tutorial write up we will be covering how to create some awesome door panel pods that will add a custom look to your install, allow you to integrate multiple speakers into a door panel, and allow you to control the mounting position of the speakers. Note that while these are in fact door “pods” that are not actually permanently bonded are made as part of the door panel itself, there are many techniques within that could be used if you were in fact planning on creating door “panels” from scratch. Let’s begin!

Step 1: Woodwork and Templates:

In order to have a good foundation for our door pods we want to make awesome speaker rings. The video above covers many of the details needed.  Take your time with this step as clean woodwork is essential to having a good foundation to create the door pods.

Tools needed:

• Router
  • Jig Saw
  • Jasper Circle Jig
  • Flush Trim Bit
  • Rabbeting Bit
  • Foam Tape
  • LTP
  • Stapler and Staples

Upon completion you should have great looking speaker templates that are prepped for molding into the panel.

DoorPods_20130602_0013_zps487ead37.jpg

DoorPods_20130602_0014_zps99151b6f.jpg

DoorPods_20130817_0039_zps55e6dcb6.jpg

Step 2: Reverse Mounting Speakers:

This step is not essential in terms of design, but it is important to have a plan for exactly how the speakers will mount. The last thing we want is to make these amazing door panels and use wood screws to secure the speakers that will become loose with time. Take a look at the fasteners we used here instead.

Tools Needed:

• Drill and Bits
  • Marker

When complete your speakers will be ready to mount securely to your pods.

DoorPods_20130608_0021_zpsbf1c4ad7.jpg

Edited by mklett33

Step 3: Molding the Door Panel Shape:

With a foundation for our speakers we now need a foundation for everything to mount too. In this step we mold the shape of the door panel to use it as the back side of the door pod.

Tools Needed:

• Resin
  • Mixing Cup
  • Mixing Stick
  • Pigment
  • Chip Brushes
  • Chop Mat
  • Painters Tape

DoorPods_20130601_0008_zps05d46b2e.jpg

With a complete foundation and mold of the door panel we are ready for the next step:

DoorPods_20130601_0009_zps73b62061.jpg

Step 4: Forming the Pod Shape:

We will use similar tools as step 3 to create the actual shape of the pod.  The only additional items needed here are glue, and grill fabric.

DoorPods_20130713_0022_zpsfd98514b.jpg

With the shape complete, it’s time to get things smooth and prepped for paint or vinyl.

Step 5: Body Filler Smoothing:

We will use body filler to smooth the panel. Duraglass is a high build filler that adds a small amount of strength but will not crack.

Tools Needed:

• Spreaders
  • Rage Gold
  • Duraglass
With the panels smooth we are nearing completion of the panels!

DoorPods_20130817_0051_zpseb5ed917.jpg

Edited by mklett33

Step 6: Finishing with Vinyl and Suede

Painting is a whole other tutorial, in this case we will be using vinyl and suede to finalize things. Take your time here and use the skills shown in the video for some tricks to avoid wrinkles.

Tools Needed:

• Vinyl
  • Suede
  • Wax Paper
  • Contact Glue
  • Knife
  • Heat Gun
  • Sunshine

The panels are almost done!

DoorPods_20130818_0056_zps657209be.jpg

Completion:

With the mounting of your speakers and securing the door pods to the door panels you are done! Enjoy these pictures!

DoorPods_20130821_0068_zpsaffb6237.jpg

DoorPods_20130824_0070_zpsd53cf31b.jpg

DoorPods_20130824_0073_zps507976e1.jpg

DoorPods_20130824_0071_zpsaa14e983.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed this tutorial, I had a lot of fun making these videos and I hope they help you learn a thing or two! If you have a YouTube account I would love to have you as a subscriber so that as I continue to make videos you can see them! Thanks for reading!  adhd.gif 

Mark

Edited by mklett33

............................................................................................ Silence

Looking forward to the final installment.  Great job.  I watch all your vids on youtube as they come out.

One question though- why is the owner spending all that money for pods when his speakers would've fit fine in the factory locations?

Looking forward to the final installment.  Great job.  I watch all your vids on youtube as they come out.

One question though- why is the owner spending all that money for pods when his speakers would've fit fine in the factory locations?

Factory locations don't always provide the best positioning of the speakers for the user. Plus these look 100x better than a factory door pod, don't ya' think?

OP, how did you attach these to the door itself?

Factory locations don't always provide the best positioning of the speakers for the user. Plus these look 100x better than a factory door pod, don't ya' think?

OP, how did you attach these to the door itself?

They definately look better!  I was wondering if it helped the sound.  Thanks!