Sign in to follow this  
grumby13

battery swollen

so i just replaced my battery two days ago and the battery is already swelling up the next day and today not much has changed. my first guess was heat and still might be, one other info is that the battery is loose not tied down since the bar or battery holding thing that goes across it was to tall to hold the battery in place. so the battery is loose and able to move should i get a new one and tie it down. this battery is the second one and if i replace it it will be the third one from them

battery: duralast platinum 34r
car toyota camry
alt: 130amp from a 2003 highlander(original stock 80 amps)

Every platinum I've had underhood swells. Mine has been puffed up for 2 years. Lol. Should be fine

Plus it a Auto zone battery.

Anybody know who makes theirs? 

Dangrebel, on 29 Aug 2013 - 11:36, said:

Déka make the platinum I believe

I know the Sears platinum is made by the same company as the odessey's are. EnerSys.

heat will do it....have had an xs 975,1200,3400 and 3100 start to swell before I wrapped them in heat barrier

Edited by Tim Harmening

Déka make the platinum I believe

deka/ east penn for sure

OP, have you checked your voltage to see what you are charging at by chance? 

Edited by nadcicle

I used a dmm and charge is 13.8 idle after a few minutes oh the engine getting a little warm and 14,2 at cold start but goes to about 13.4 to 13.5 at idle for an hour or so

You need to secure the battery. It could be shaking causing arcing which may spike voltage causing slow overcharge.

Heat doesnt kill a battery. Its the voltage level to heat ratio which needs to be adhered to and your voltage readings are well within spec up to 130f easy.

I run xs under the hood without issues. Keep things tight and shake free.

Will check Wal-Mart after work since that is the onlything open when I get off. But would a heat shield help as well

My at the Jeep Liberty came with a insulated box that the battery went into.

So yes I think some sort of insulation would help if external heat is causing the problem.

I forgot to stop by Wal-Mart so I will do it tomorrow morning after work

You need to secure the battery. It could be shaking causing arcing which may spike voltage causing slow overcharge.

Heat doesnt kill a battery. Its the voltage level to heat ratio which needs to be adhered to and your voltage readings are well within spec up to 130f easy.

I run xs under the hood without issues. Keep things tight and shake free.

it won't kill the battery, but can make them swell.  Was told that from XS themselves after mine started too

its not the heat by itself.  Its the charging voltage At the level of ambient heat.

There wouldn't be a situation where an environment is so hot for a vehicle that any battery will just die from just sitting there with nothing connected to it.

So.. it's the relation between heat and charging level.

The hotter it is, the lower the charging voltage needs to be or else it will overcharge.

You can overcharge a battery at 14.0v for an AGM if the heat level were very high.

Likewise it may take up to 15.0v if a lot cooler.

PCM controlled regulators are awesome for this fact and can greatly prevent overcharging from occurring.

I forgot to stop by Wal-Mart so I will do it tomorrow morning after work

How Many layers should be needed to cover the battery for the heat shield material for the battery