EPerez

Round over bit to make an aeroport flared?

I want to use 2 6" or 1 8" for my next box since it will allow me to tune lower and also give me more internal space using the same dimensions. But on the face of the box I can't actually use a flare like the one Adrian has or the ones that partexpress sells, because it won't fit. Now can I use a round over bit on the port opening of the wood to make it a flare? Pic below is how I made a box for 4 15s and I had 4 6" pvc pipes. It's double baffled. The front baffle was used as .75" of the port length since the pvc didn't go all the way out of the box. It only went into the inner baffle. So can I use a round over bit to make the outer baffle a flare by using the bit? I'm not sure how big of a bit I would use, but a little flare is better than nothing right?

IMAG1000_zpsf0319b59.jpg

Just use whatever size you think. Port area is more important than the roundover. I use 3/8" on my projects.

Well 2 6" is ~56in2 of port area and 1 8" is ~50in2 of port aero. Wouldn't it make it more efficient or better somehow if it is flared? 

Flared should help with port turbulence but I have never had a problem with straight aero ports

Flared should help with port turbulence but I have never had a problem with straight aero ports

So should I just try it straight first and then if there is any port noise should I then use a router to flare them?

yeah or flare them for the look, trial and error

I think I'll just flare them for the look anyways. I've also been reading it's best to do 1 single aero port vs multiple. How come? So would 1 8 be better than 2 6s? 

crazy... that guy ^^ knows so much

crazy... that guy ^^ knows so much

I know I just wish I could understand it haha

I think I'll just flare them for the look anyways. I've also been reading it's best to do 1 single aero port vs multiple. How come? So would 1 8 be better than 2 6s? 

You've been reading in the wrong places.

Buy urself a copy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1882580478/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I think I should buy that book, probably answer a lot of my questions. Thanks Quentin.

I think I'll just flare them for the look anyways. I've also been reading it's best to do 1 single aero port vs multiple. How come? So would 1 8 be better than 2 6s?

Buy urself a copy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1882580478/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Best book you could own for audio. I refer to it daily.

What woofers and power is the question for?

I think I'll just flare them for the look anyways. I've also been reading it's best to do 1 single aero port vs multiple. How come? So would 1 8 be better than 2 6s?

Buy urself a copy

I recently picked up a copy. Gonna put in on my tablet to read when i poop :)

I'm gonna put an saz2500 to 2 sundown X 12s.

Buy urself a copy

I recently picked up a copy. Gonna put in on my tablet to read when i poop smile.png

remind me not to borrow your tablet

I'm gonna put an saz2500 to 2 sundown X 12s.

going to be a pretty small port for those woofers. High Xmax and small ports dont mix well but if you are limited to space and enclosure size, it doesnt hurt to try

2 6" aeros wouldn't be enough? I thought it would be pretty good.

Not even half of the minimum recommended port area

Not even half of the minimum recommended port area

What would you recommend for port area then?

Or what size aero?

Edited by Bassink

Can you squeeze a 10 in there? That would get you closer

Yeah I would use more port area for sure, a slot port would probably make it easier to get more.

I cant put a 10 since the width is only 35". Does using aeros lower the amount of port area needed? If so how much? How much port area do you guys recommended needed? I want to tune to 29hz.

Jacob was using a 6" aero for the box for the 12" z v.4 on a saz3500 at .5 ohms. He said it was doing good with it like that. Doesn't the X need less port area than the z v.4?

my mayhems I talked about in the other thread were in a box that was just under 5 cubes, two 6" PSP ports, tuned to 38hz. with a clamped 3200w it did a 150.4 legal. so I'm going to say that two 6" aeros isn't way too small. i used to know more information on the size of the flare and it's performance but I recommend you either grab those PSP ports or make the roundover as big as you can.