Sign in to follow this  
Will Harper

sub getting hot

So my xcon has been getting hot lately only after 30 mins of play on 1100 rms. Voltage stays anywhere from 13-14 while its bumping. Gain isnt even halfway up and there isnt really any distortion. Anybody have experience with this or am i just paranoid? Thanks

Are you playing a lot of songs below tuning? Are you sure you're tuned to 33hz and not higher?

I play alot of decaf nothing tooo low mainly 30 or higher. And how could i double check the tuning? I didnt build my box

Ok try that calc and see if your port length comes out to the one they give when you plug everything in.

That calc doesnt work on my phone, but i checked and all the dimensions match the design for the 4.0 cubes optimal design, including port.

ok..

how hot are we talking.... heat is NORMAL... by the dust cap being warm only proves that  the cooling design is doing its job!

now.. is it hot to the touch.. like burning? or is it warm and to hot?

and the most important thing is.. does it STINK!!!???...

lastly.. have you pulled it.. look to see just how dark the coils are?

now.. some statements.

playing under tuning will not cause a sub to run hot... it will cause other fatal issues.. but heat is not one of them....

but what will cause heat is decaf music... its proven that its clipped from the start.... so when you put it in your deck.. its sending a clipped signal to your amp.... then depending on your settings on your amp and heat unit .. it may be ADDING more distortion.... to your sub... that is a full on dumb and stupid.... it only does what its told to do ... subs are the stupidest piece of equipment in your car.... same as  the power wire and the RCAS... it does what its told.. nothing else.

im going to go with clipping as the issue .. IF there is one......

but like i said to start with... a sub SHOULD be warm to hot after 30 mins of wangning.

oh bad ass... dude im 25 mins south from you if you want me to look at it and put your worries to rest. :D

How hot are we talking? All subs warm up, it's a byproduct produced from the electric current flowing through the coil.

Damn beat me to it. Bloody slow tablet.

Edited by nigel

Theres smells from time to time but i think its just resin from my box since its still new. No alarming burning smells. Last time i pulled it was 3 days ago and the coils were still a nice amber color. The heat isnt insane... but its more hot than warm i would say.

Ok.. all my music is mp3 or decaf... where can i find good rap that's not clipped? Or any music forthat matter. Thanks for the input guys

Theres smells from time to time but i think its just resin from my box since its still new. No alarming burning smells. Last time i pulled it was 3 days ago and the coils were still a nice amber color. The heat isnt insane... but its more hot than warm i would say.

Ok.. all my music is mp3 or decaf... where can i find good rap that's not clipped? Or any music forthat matter. Thanks for the input guys

Like Jon said heat is normal HOT is not. If you truly want to feel comfortable I would take Jon up on his offer. Bring him a bottle of jagermeister and have him check all of your settings. He is a smart dude and will make sure that you don't have any issues. BTW I added the jagermeister part :roflmao:

ok..

how hot are we talking.... heat is NORMAL... by the dust cap being warm only proves that  the cooling design is doing its job!

now.. is it hot to the touch.. like burning? or is it warm and to hot?

and the most important thing is.. does it STINK!!!???...

lastly.. have you pulled it.. look to see just how dark the coils are?

now.. some statements.

playing under tuning will not cause a sub to run hot... it will cause other fatal issues.. but heat is not one of them....

but what will cause heat is decaf music... its proven that its clipped from the start.... so when you put it in your deck.. its sending a clipped signal to your amp.... then depending on your settings on your amp and heat unit .. it may be ADDING more distortion.... to your sub... that is a full on dumb and stupid.... it only does what its told to do ... subs are the stupidest piece of equipment in your car.... same as  the power wire and the RCAS... it does what its told.. nothing else.

im going to go with clipping as the issue .. IF there is one......

but like i said to start with... a sub SHOULD be warm to hot after 30 mins of wangning.

where was the proof that decafs songs are clipped? the ones i have checked are perfectly fine, although, i do not listen to very many of his songs.

just a quick google result shows this topic..

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/127738-easily-remove-clipping-from-music/page-2

but the proof i speak of would be hard to find but ill try.. it was tested by the owner of GPI i think it was.. i was on his facebook.. and he compared his music to decafs...  the results were clear..

i dont care i still run nothing but decaf !!

Ya amps getting pretty hot as well, but it hasnt overheated and gone into protection mode

It sounds like your gain is set too high.

http://www.*****.com/board/topic/127738-easily-remove-clipping-from-music/page-2

but the proof i speak of would be hard to find but ill try.. it was tested by the owner of GPI i think it was.. i was on his facebook.. and he compared his music to decafs... the results were clear..

I dont care much for some of the music decaf does so i started editing songs myself. It took me a year to get it down but now im decent at it.

Well, if you find that comparison that shows his music clipping then let me know, i would like to read it.

i sure will look for it..

and guys keep in mind.. today was  102... but it felt like 105... so the amp will be hot no matter what....

share with us all your settings on your head unit.

http://www.*****.com/board/topic/127738-easily-remove-clipping-from-music/page-2

but the proof i speak of would be hard to find but ill try.. it was tested by the owner of GPI i think it was.. i was on his facebook.. and he compared his music to decafs...  the results were clear..

Only the songs that clip originally will have clipping in them, he is very carefull about adding distortion/clipping. (if they are clipping it's only slightly)

I have a folder with over 500songs of him, and maybe 10 of those have clipping in them.

Ya amps getting pretty hot as well, but it hasnt overheated and gone into protection mode

It sounds like your gain is set too high.

Also depends on how the amp is mounted, and grounded. If the cooling design is not being used the way it was intended, heat will build up. A piss poor ground will have the amp being inefficently grounded and produce more heat as a byproduct.

J

i made a post on SMD a few months ago asking if my sub getting hot was normal and everyone said sure, its fine. its got the cooling, fully loaded, your not putting to much power to it ect. a month later flames from the sub set fire to the roof of my cab when the tinsel leads combusted. 

if its HOT to the touch turn the gains down, check your sub sonic filter, and make sure bass boost is off. the higher the frequency the less cooling the sub gets because its not going through its full xmax movement. couple that with a boost in power at the 40hz mark and you generate a ass load of heat.