Lee Carter

01 'Zuk vs 18" xcon

Well guys, been  minute.  The box for the 18 is in my bedroom.lol  While the IA is sent off for recone....and another xcon fell in my lap.  So hopefully it'll be here Tuesday, and I be back to bumping proper.LOL

I'll probably use the IA in my burb for a while, or sell it.

I also have my Singer alternator here.  Been here for a few weeks- haven't even opened the box.

Been fighting some health issues for a bit, so I haven't much felt like wrenching on anything...

bring the alt with you to work, pull your car in the hangar monday afternoon, when i come in monday night, we will install it that night if you want

Thanks Jay-cee.  Been fighting back pain flare ups for the last 20 yrs...Always been told it was disc issue and given anti inflammatory meds.  Then... 3 months ago... they finally done my first MRI and found I've been dealing with a bone spur all this time.  doh!  Got a Dr's Appt today since the Lyrica they put me on is pretty inaffective.

Eric- thank for the offer-  maybe next hitch.  Bringing the burb this week loaded with supplies for my aunt who just lost her home in a fire.

Hope you feel better soon, health before audio.

Man- I am stressing out tonight.

Got around to re installing the 18" box > mounted amp(didn't disconnect anything as far as wiring.)  > Installed sub > Turned on expecting great bass again....nothing.

First I went through the H/U sub section to make sure all were correct, then I checked amp connections, looked for protect light, everything looks normal.  Even though the power lights were on, decided to check the fuses, and the one from the Battery to the amps was showing signs of getting real hot at some point.  Changed it out to be safe.  Made no difference.

So I am thinking 1 of 4 things.  either 1) amp is shot, 2) H/U rear RCA output has failed, or 3) wiring issue inside the box. 4)  Sub has issues(which I doubt)

Got dark on us, So in the morning, first thing I am doing...cutting tie wraps- running rca's for bass amp to the front amp- if it works the the radio/rca's are fine.  then I will pull the sub and look for issues inside the box.  If that don't work- I will swap out the amp to verify the Sub is good.

The other note to add, is that we had to jump the truck off from sitting for a few weeks...not sure why that would be an issue.  and the kicker 15 was working fine right before we pulled it out and put  the 18 in.  Guess I'll figure it out tomorrow.

? I hate those moments....angry2.gif

yeah- it is frustrating...I know it as to be something simple.

yeah- it is frustrating...I know it as to be something simple.

Simple yet easily overlooked, that's what it always seems to be.

Any luck figuring what the problem is out?

It is something with the amp.  Ran the RCA's to the Mid amp and had output to my mids.  So then I pulled the Sub to check the internal wiring, looked ok.  next, I drug out my box with my 10" redlines and wired them up...Nada.  At this point I knew the amp was the issue.

Well- guess what I JUST had arrive....my BC3500 I bought from Sean(W140).  Wired the sub to 4 ohms and hooked up the crescendo.  we had boom again.  the crecendo at 'only' 900-1000 rms at 4 ohms slams the xcon. though it is only temporary.

2013-11-28132206.jpg

Now I did find something that was concerning to me...the Xcon I just recieved, is quite a bit different from my first one.  My first one had triple leads ran under the spider pack, and the spider pack was black, and flush to the top of the recess.

My first X- 18"D1

2013-10-08162702.jpg

The new one is altogether different. First is the exposed leads. Looks like an Icon the someone posted a few days ago with a piece of felt to soften lead slap.  The spider is down in the bottom of the recess. you can see bare metal were it appears to have been ground and scraped clean.  I feel like it was reconed...Anyone else find this weird?  I think Joe bought it straight from SSA, I could be mistaken.

Pic of Xcon I have now-  18"D2

2013-11-28123615.jpg

Nothing to worry about Fi/SSA did some small upgrades at one point. Both are the same woofer

It is something with the amp.  Ran the RCA's to the Mid amp and had output to my mids.  So then I pulled the Sub to check the internal wiring, looked ok.  next, I drug out my box with my 10" redlines and wired them up...Nada.  At this point I knew the amp was the issue.

Well- guess what I JUST had arrive....my BC3500 I bought from Sean(W140).  Wired the sub to 4 ohms and hooked up the crescendo.  we had boom again.  the crecendo at 'only' 900-1000 rms at 4 ohms slams the xcon. though it is only temporary.

2013-11-28132206.jpg

Now I did find something that was concerning to me...the Xcon I just recieved, is quite a bit different from my first one.  My first one had triple leads ran under the spider pack, and the spider pack was black, and flush to the top of the recess.

My first X- 18"D1

2013-10-08162702.jpg

The new one is altogether different. First is the exposed leads. Looks like an Icon the someone posted a few days ago with a piece of felt to soften lead slap.  The spider is down in the bottom of the recess. you can see bare metal were it appears to have been ground and scraped clean.  I feel like it was reconed...Anyone else find this weird?  I think Joe bought it straight from SSA, I could be mistaken.

Pic of Xcon I have now-  18"D2

2013-11-28123615.jpg

That is strange looking. Are you sure both are xcons? 

From the product description "For those high power installs, the XCON runs 5 spiders in total: triple 8" progressive spiders, dual NOMEX spiders and triple flat sandwiched lead wires to handle all the abuse."

Yeah I had that same reaction when I seen the xcon myself. Aaron told me it was some modifications they were doing to it. So I didn't have any other concerns after that. If you are still curious ask Aaron. On the other hand how does it sound?

Good to hear you got it safe and sound.  The lead change was a minor adjustment done recently and we have not had a chance to update the website with photos and info as that takes some good time.

Awesome to hear you love the sound.  Is it fully broken in for you?  I ask as all that suspension and motor force and take a little bit of time to settle.

If you have your review, I can manually add it if you like.  But again, thank you for picking the Xcon, each one (as we are a low volume production higher end niche brand) means a lot to us.

Post install pix on the forum if you like.

This is what Aaron had written to me about the leads. I thought the same thing......

Makes me feel better...it sounds good for '1000' watts. for sure...we pounded it pretty good a couple of times.

Anyone repair Skar amps?

Yeah that thing would SHAKE my explorer !

How has the xcon been treating you?

It is a bit strange honestly.  Completely different sound than my first xcon...but it is at roughly half the power I had before.  It sounds way more like the IA DR than it does the first Xcon.  the 'higher' bass really tickles your throat...but it doesn't seem to like the low notes as much.  I think it is power related.  Thought about wiring it to 1 ohm....but I am not taking any chances on blowing another sub.

I thought the lows were good. I was feeding it around 1400. The lows were good, I never had a sub of that level before though, so I can not compare it to much. I thought it damn good though, it would shake my whole explorer through my seat and through my chest. I had mine wired to 1 ohm also, it never got warm on me. I thought I was pushing it pretty hard too. Try the 1ohm. "GENTLY"

Edited by joe79

It is a bit strange honestly.  Completely different sound than my first xcon...but it is at roughly half the power I had before.  It sounds way more like the IA DR than it does the first Xcon.  the 'higher' bass really tickles your throat...but it doesn't seem to like the low notes as much.  I think it is power related.  Thought about wiring it to 1 ohm....but I am not taking any chances on blowing another sub.

Wattage does not affect the sound of a speaker in the way that you are thinking.

I was figureing  that maybe the higher wattage helped to drive out the lower notes.  The old sub would bounce the wiper blades on the ow notes...not this setup.  BUT it still hits very hard.  I am not complaining.

What is the is size of the enclosure. I had the xcon in 7.6 qf tuned around 27- 30hz

Edited by joe79

I was space limited to 6.9 at 33.  Same box I built at the beginning of this thread.

I am thinking maybe I have the SSF too high on the nendo.  I am at work right now without the truck.  I'll try some different things when I get back in.

I was figureing  that maybe the higher wattage helped to drive out the lower notes.  The old sub would bounce the wiper blades on the ow notes...not this setup.  BUT it still hits very hard.  I am not complaining.

It is possible that the specs on the new sub are not the same as the older version. This could explain the response differences you are hearing.

Hey guys...been a while- the Suzuki has been on the back burner for a bit.  Got my SQ Q1200 a couple of months back.  I had my BC3500 running the 18 at 4ohms temporarily.  Well I finally ordered some 1/0 to 4 awg imputs from TM.  Threw it all back together earlier today...Pounds pretty good.  Forgot how good the lil truck sounds.LOL

Can't seem to pull this beast out without taking a picture.LOL

temporary.jpg

Coils still looking great-

temporary-1.jpg

The logs make it much easier...

temporary-2.jpg

Small footprint relative to the Skar...

temporary-3.jpg