Sign in to follow this  
hatrix

Cracked dustcap on SA-15....

Ugh....

So I was keeping this SA-15 I had near my closet next to my TV, not in use just holding it as I'm trying to sell it. I'm sitting in the opposite side of the room on the computer when a screw and clamp supporting a shelf in my closet rips out of the wall, a loud popping sound that makes me turn around in surprise. Amazingly the shelf manages to still stay up. I go over to inspect and see the clamp on the far left is not on to well. I wiggle it slightly, BAM whole damn shelf comes crashing down along with everything that was on it. We are talking a 3 foot long shelf about 6 feet in the air. I had lots of heavy schoolbooks on it, I keep jeans on it, notebooks/folders. It had a lot of stuff on it so it had gotten pretty heavy.

Stuff fell everywhere of course, some of my school textbooks fell right on top of the sub. I was like oh shit it's probably really messed up, as they were some beefy heavy books. Kind of messed me up in the whole collapse too as it was right in my face but my immediate concern was the sub.

Inspect the sub... the crack is about 3" long and also turns towards the end. Its not all the way to the edge. The books also put a scuff in the cone. Not all the way through or anything, but a decent gouge 1" long or so.

Shittiest luck ever. Like the chances of this happening are about never. The sub moves around in my room all the time too. Mostly it was kept over by my desk, a good distance from the closet.

My question, is the crack cosmetic or will it cause problems without being glued or replaced ? I know the gouge is cosmetic. If it will cause problems, what are my options in fixing this ? Hopefully not expensive... I was trying to sell this ! I don't need it. Now this is a set back.

Pics:

6be9.jpg

nkoc.jpg

Edited by hatrix

Just email sundown and have them send you a new dust cap. Replace it and you're good to go.

Theirs pics in the spoilers.

Just email sundown and have them send you a new dust cap. Replace it and you're good to go.

x2

Just use a blow dryer to heat up the damaged dustcap/adhesive and use a razor to separate the dust cap from the cone. Takes less than 5 mins to do.

x2

Just use a blow dryer to heat up the damaged dustcap/adhesive and use a razor to separate the dust cap from the cone. Takes less than 5 mins to do.

Great, I sent them an email.

Thanks for the info.