mccleery3

X reviews?

Curious if anyone on SSA has purchased the X series subs?

i had the old x12 that was rated at 400rms or 300rms i believe a while ago and i loved that sub. it was the loudest single sub set up iv heard on only 400rms. it killed low notes.

Got a guy down here in Nashville with 2 of the 12's in IAK sir. He went from 2 sa's to the x's and loves how they hit the lows. He is still using the same amp and enclosure at the moment and noticed a 1db drop, but a much larger frequency range in the low end. He lost to me at the June James show :P lol

6/23/2013 June Jams James Long   TN AS2 143.60 8 8/18/2013 Bluegrass Bangin VI James W Long   TN AS2 142.60 10

i had the old x12 that was rated at 400rms or 300rms i believe a while ago and i loved that sub. it was the loudest single sub set up iv heard on only 400rms. it killed low notes.

I was talking about Sundown X's that just recently came out. I believe you are speaking of the fi X's. Thanks for the response though :)

Got a guy down here in Nashville with 2 of the 12's in IAK sir. He went from 2 sa's to the x's and loves how they hit the lows. He is still using the same amp and enclosure at the moment and noticed a 1db drop, but a much larger frequency range in the low end. He lost to me at the June James show :P lol

6/23/2013 June Jams James Long TN AS2 143.60 8 8/18/2013 Bluegrass Bangin VI James W Long TN AS2 142.60 10

Cool :) I have seen on a few other forums people having mixed feelings.

I will be getting 2 12s tomorrow. Hopefully will be able to put them in. I am all about the low frequencies so I'm sure I will love these subs.

Ill let you know what I think of them when I get them in.

It really boils down to a few things :

1) The X has a dramatically louder bottom-end than the SA series or any other speaker we made before.

2) The X has WAY less suspension induced distortion than our SA series or any other speaker we made before.

If either one of those things is something you don't like -- you may not like the X.

The closest thing to a complaint I've had is some folks interpret 1 and 2 together as the driver lacking top-end -- but it's actually a lack of parameter shift over stroke; the driver stays FLAT rather than increasing the top-end over stroke.

Here is a post I made on CACO about it :

"The new platform drivers are a totally different animal than anything we've made before; and anything most anyone has made before.

Not only are we starting with a lower FS but our FS changes VERY little over stroke. It's a much lower distortion sound but the distortion of shifting Fs (and Qts) has a sound best described as "punchy" to the ear.

See the following (don't mind the objective # in the FS column -- just look at how it changes) :

SA-12_NonLinear.jpg

* At 2" p-p the SA-12 FS is over 50% higher than at-rest

* At 2" p-p the SA-12 Qts has risen to triple it's rest value

Zv4_NonLinear.jpg

* At 2" p-p the Z v.4 Fs has changed essentially none

* At 2" p-p the Z v.4 Qts has changed VERY little; with a max deviation of ~25% or so on the forward stroke

-----

Now... take a woofer and model it up with those changes to the parameters found on the SA-12 (which is a good representation of how many standard drivers act). You will see a massive increase in output toward the top-end and a massive decrease at the bottom-end over stroke.

On the Z v.4 you will not see this -- the response remains relatively unchanged over stroke. So compared to a less linear driver the increase in bottom-end over stroke can be MASSIVE as it simply does not drop off over stroke... but you won't hear the "punch" at the top-end generated by the distortion modes of shifting parameters.

-----

In many conversations with Dan Wiggins this theme came up... with XBL^2 you greatly reduce the QTS rise from a BL perspective (we are reducing it from a suspension perspective which also greatly reduces FS shift). Even then people complained that the Brahma drivers were not "punchy" -- what they actually were complaining about was a lack of distortion.

Down the line I plan to combine our suspension platform with a linear BL topology as well. That definitely won't be for everyone as the shifts of every parameter will decrease even further.

-----

In any event -- I expected to hear these type of reviews based on what people said about XBL^2 drivers 10+ years ago. Bottom line, to me, is that the design is objectively superior and fits what customers told me they wanted from their subs -- the most bottom end possible. Our SPL suspension system that is in the works for the new platform will offer a more "traditional" sound and also work better for higher frequency SPL for the same reason."

Also some *peak* SPL drop is to be expected due to the above reasons compared to something like the SA series.

It really boils down to a few things :

1) The X has a dramatically louder bottom-end than the SA series or any other speaker we made before.

2) The X has WAY less suspension induced distortion than our SA series or any other speaker we made before.

If either one of those things is something you don't like -- you may not like the X.

The closest thing to a complaint I've had is some folks interpret 1 and 2 together as the driver lacking top-end -- but it's actually a lack of parameter shift over stroke; the driver stays FLAT rather than increasing the top-end over stroke.

Here is a post I made on CACO about it :

"The new platform drivers are a totally different animal than anything we've made before; and anything most anyone has made before.

Not only are we starting with a lower FS but our FS changes VERY little over stroke. It's a much lower distortion sound but the distortion of shifting Fs (and Qts) has a sound best described as "punchy" to the ear.

See the following (don't mind the objective # in the FS column -- just look at how it changes) :

SA-12_NonLinear.jpg

* At 2" p-p the SA-12 FS is over 50% higher than at-rest

* At 2" p-p the SA-12 Qts has risen to triple it's rest value

Zv4_NonLinear.jpg

* At 2" p-p the Z v.4 Fs has changed essentially none

* At 2" p-p the Z v.4 Qts has changed VERY little; with a max deviation of ~25% or so on the forward stroke

-----

Now... take a woofer and model it up with those changes to the parameters found on the SA-12 (which is a good representation of how many standard drivers act). You will see a massive increase in output toward the top-end and a massive decrease at the bottom-end over stroke.

On the Z v.4 you will not see this -- the response remains relatively unchanged over stroke. So compared to a less linear driver the increase in bottom-end over stroke can be MASSIVE as it simply does not drop off over stroke... but you won't hear the "punch" at the top-end generated by the distortion modes of shifting parameters.

-----

In many conversations with Dan Wiggins this theme came up... with XBL^2 you greatly reduce the QTS rise from a BL perspective (we are reducing it from a suspension perspective which also greatly reduces FS shift). Even then people complained that the Brahma drivers were not "punchy" -- what they actually were complaining about was a lack of distortion.

Down the line I plan to combine our suspension platform with a linear BL topology as well. That definitely won't be for everyone as the shifts of every parameter will decrease even further.

-----

In any event -- I expected to hear these type of reviews based on what people said about XBL^2 drivers 10+ years ago. Bottom line, to me, is that the design is objectively superior and fits what customers told me they wanted from their subs -- the most bottom end possible. Our SPL suspension system that is in the works for the new platform will offer a more "traditional" sound and also work better for higher frequency SPL for the same reason."

Awesome explanation Jacob! I didn't make this thread to bash or discredit the subs, just wanted some personal experiences. I have seen that the vehicle peak freq has dropped when utilizing the X's as well. I know it is not meant to be used as a comp spl sub, which suites me since I prefer to demo. My current plan is 4-18's in 20-24cu net on 2 3.5kv.2's. I am debating on tuning at the moment. I like decaf & modded music but want ability to play rock/metal as well. So far I've seen people tune as high as 35-36hz & still be able to drop in the low 20hz range without issue.

Ill be trading my OAs for an X 18 Tomorrow ill let you know how I like it.

Sweet! Definitely let me know all info on enclosure, power, tuning, & port area as well.

Sweet! Definitely let me know all info on enclosure, power, tuning, & port area as well.

Its going into a 5.13 ft³ Enclosure with an 8" Aero port

Ill make/upload some videos tomorrow of it, gonna be running it off my Hifonics Zeus 2k

Edited by DanP

Holy fuck do these subs get loud!! And low too!! They sound really good and the highs aren't as bad as you think!

Holy fuck do these subs get loud!! And low too!! They sound really good and the highs aren't as bad as you think!

How do they stand up to Xcons?

really?  

I mean, bandwidth is one thing to compare too but thermally, that's not fair and because of that, giving both subs the same power would conclude different results.

Shizzzon is right. I can't give a real answer since I have 2 Xs instead of 1 Xcon. Also boxes are different but I can say they both sound awesome!0

vids!!! now!!! go somewhere. anywhere... gas station... 7-eleven.... 24hr walmart... just fcking record it man!!!! please

Shizzzon is right. I can't give a real answer since I have 2 Xs instead of 1 Xcon. Also boxes are different but I can say they both sound awesome!0

I will take vids! I was busy today and work the now but this weekend you will see some!

what are videos gonna prove, just curios?

We can measure headphone spl.

1233560_638648896156107_1631953118_n.jpg

Tried making a video today but I have such a bad headache it just didnt workout 

Those baskets are too sexy not to wait on them for the 18's 

I will be waiting till tax time most likely Terric.

Kind of hoping Jacob may have an 18" version of the new basket. Last I heard though, it was not going to happen.

I wasn't necessarily worried about vids, just experience with power handling & overall sound above 40hz.

I just want to see it... didn't realize people can't share a video just cuz you wanna show off your shit... he has a new setup and I want to see ... lol ..

also ... curious***  :-p

I just want to see it... didn't realize people can't share a video just cuz you wanna show off your shit... he has a new setup and I want to see ... lol ..

also ... curious***  :-p

Yea I wasn't trying to prove anything. Was just going to post a video of two of them playing and all that. I know videos don't prove anything.