Sign in to follow this  
barbrady

Sub Spiders

Whats are the common reasons for spiders to rip lose from the cone?

^^ please explain i have 6 ssa gcons wired at 1.33 per 3 on about 4k per 3 in a 4th order and only rip on 1 side?

Over excursion, bottoming out, reaching xmech

glue heats up too much, loosening the spider(not ripping it).

Rip from over-excursion.

Since you say 4th order, it sounds as if your alignment is not setup correctly or your crossovers are set wrong.

4th order BPs can wreak havoc on speakers when not knowing the ins and outs of the passband you just built.

^^  So maybe 1 side is off and the side that has no issues it correct? 

How many amps do you have? How is your ssf set?

2 amps 1 on each 3 subs at 1.33 and the subsonic is turned all the way up, as thats what i was told by a shop for bandpass boxes

subsonic up all the way? what frequency? 

look for leaks in the box 

box is tuned at 40hz and yea my subsonic on both amps is all they way up gains at 3/4

telling us that the ssf is all the way up doesn't really help, without letting us know what amps you have and what range the ssf is on them.  Same as the gain, 3/4 of what?  Every amplifier has a different operable range, likewise, gain setting is going to depend on input voltage from the source.  To me if a shop told me to always turn ssf all the way up on bandpass boxes as a blanket statement, I would highly doubt their credibility as every enclosure is designed differently and every amp has a different range for it's ssf.

I think this is an example of needing more information on equipment used, exact settings, and design (dimensions) of enclosure.

dub sonic is set wrong or the box is WAY too big with too much power;

40hz is really low for a bandpass. What is the sealed resonance? You'll shred stuff in a hurry if your ported section is tuned too far below the sealed.

SSF all the way up makes no sense either. It is a high pass filter that you have cranked up then have to compensate by setting the gain high.

I'd start there first. Second stop getting advice from that shop. Last I'd do some testing to find your sealed and ported frequencies. As shizz said you may have some issues there.