Sign in to follow this  
ncc74656

fi X information

i was looking into the X for a client who wants a system installed in her van for her and her sons. i was looking at the X as its a smaller 10" sub that is only 750W but i cant find any real information in how it differences to a Q or SSD.

i found plenty of posts stating 350W rms but the website lists 750W rms. i assume there was an older model of this sub.

how does this sub differ from a Q, SSD, and BL? 

secondly i see the BP option which i think means it can take more power but how exactly does this work and how much more power or thermal handling does this add?

thanks.

edit: quality over volume and a ZX750.1 is what i was looking at for this build.

If it fits into their budget it is an awesome sub.

it does fit the budget, id just like to know how its been designed differently than the SSD or Q. i know the SP4 sub is intended mostly for SPL with a dash of music in there, the BL is a bit better balance between response of volume and the Q is intended for fidelity over volume.  how do the X and SSD come into the picture with in these confines? 

I'm also curious, if I configure an X12 with the BP power option, it's more expensive than a standard SSD12. So what's the better option? Fully loaded X or standard SSD?

maybe i need to buy both and just test them as i cant seem to find any good info around the net. perhaps the X is just to new

The Fi X series is just underutilized, and severely so.  SSA has the same problem with the DCON and I would suppose even the GCON as well and I'm certain that Incriminator sees the same issues with their two lower powered lines.

For some reason everyone thinks they have to have at least 3kw of subs and amps to make a good and loud setup and it's just so far from the truth.  My sister's single 12" DCON on ~500watts sounds impressively good, can rattle your teeth just fine, and didn't cost an arm and a leg to pick up.  It didn't need $1K in electrical upgrades (none actually) and it gets loud enough, even for me.  The Fi X's are targeted toward people who for whatever reason are limited to running in the 500-800 wrms per sub power range.  While they can handle more, especially so with the BP option, pushing power levels to them that far over their rating bring the user to the point that the SSD's become the next logical step up and the price difference reflects that, IMO.

The X is the more budget oriented line.  It's a great sub in it's own right but not quite up on the same level as the SSD.  While both are for daily listening setups, both have triple progressive spider packs, both are 3" voice coils, and both have cooling options, the size and configuration of the motors plays to the subtle fact that the SSD will have an edge in output.  Neither are going to disappoint though so you/your customer can buy with confidence they're getting a great sub.

I'm just saying that the difference in price is so miniscule that I can't see anybody NOT just saving up for an SSD if they're thinking about an X. 

I'm just saying that the difference in price is so miniscule that I can't see anybody NOT just saving up for an SSD if they're thinking about an X. 

The SSD could be priced 50 higher than it is, and it would still be a good deal in my opinion. So yeah for the ~20 dollars that it costs to go from the X to the SSD I would get the SSD. This doesn't mean that the X is not worth what it costs, the SSD is just a steal.

thing is with my client she does not want nor need a 1500W sub, a 750 is on the outside edge of her goals but im sure her son will love it.

thing is with my client she does not want nor need a 1500W sub, a 750 is on the outside edge of her goals but im sure her son will love it.

What does the rms rating have to do with it? There is 0 need to give a speaker its rms power.

if i recall its also got a bit shorter mount depth that was nice. .5" i think.  i just think that an SSD may be over kill but perhaps not, if the X is so damn close to the SSD then why have it as a product at all? i would think it would be a net loss to offer a product that is basically the same as the next one up for about the same price.

Well remember they don't build it unless you buy it so they won't lose if they don't build any.

I'm sure all the soft part are pretty close across the whole Fi line of subs.

On another note, I plan on buying one of these(Fi X 10) shortly for my '78 Ford Truck. And a Soundqubed 750.1.

I plan on just getting a prefab sealed enclosure since most online are slim already and only .5-.6 cuft which with sub in box makes it fall in recommended specs. And these boxes do allow 6" sub mounting depth.

the sub would be in a vented box for my application but yes, only issue i could see from a prefab sealed would be the box flexing appart. i recall buying a box at bestbuy and it was 3/8 particle board.

What does the rms rating have to do with it? There is 0 need to give a speaker its rms power.

I thought the same thing. I bought a pair of ssd's and gave them half the rms. My jl w3's where louder on the 500 watts. For that reason I sold the ssd's and stuck with the w3's. The guy who bought the ssd's is feeding them rms and the are beastly on that power. I absolutely think you should plan on feeding close to rms if you want the full potential of the speaker. I'm actually considering the fi x now or a gcon. Maybe even the new black fi day sub they got now, because I don't plan to add power, and I want to get that sub to its xmax hopefully.

Sign in to follow this