Sign in to follow this  
ncc74656

fi sp4 recone?

how do i get the spider off the basket? ive been sitting here for 40 min with a razor and all ive managed to do is remove a 1/2" section and cut into the aluminum basket.

picture please..

i know how i recone.. but i have never done an SP4.. i doubt its any different.. but pics would help

how do i get the spider off the basket? ive been sitting here for 40 min with a razor and all ive managed to do is remove a 1/2" section and cut into the aluminum basket.

Not sure if my method will work for you, but a short trip to harbor freight and this is what worked for me. Of course this was with a drill. If you have a rotozip or air tool you can attach this to then it'll be a lot better to handle. 

IMG_20130519_185241_zps36eefe2e.jpg

IMG_20130519_185334_zpsfe9c574e.jpg

my issue seems to be getting the spider mostly unglued from the basket to start with.

my issue seems to be getting the spider mostly unglued from the basket to start with.

Yah, those wire brushes eat right through spider. However, you could do like Quentin told me to do and use CA remover and let it sit. Of course i already had the brushes at that point and went ahead and used em.

oh ok. i have the brushes in my truck so ill get them and go to work. ive got a die grinder so that might work better than a drill

first i try pliers.. i get a good hold and peal it clockwise...

it that dont work i get the grinder out...

i have a friend that uses a  heat gun and a flat head.

little hammer and a screwdriver..don't hit it too hard or you'll crack the basket. if you do it right it'l pop right off

that should shatter the glue and pop the spider off eh? ill give it a go tomorrow. my recone ships on the 17th so i just need to get things ready by delivery date.

is this good enough for the recone? spent a few hours getting all of the spider off. the screw driver trick only worked on half of it and even then it did not take off the bottom layer. 

H67e4Vg.jpg

looks a little over done, you shouldn't grind down the metal so much, but should be okay.  Just make sure the coil gap is clean with compressed air and duck tape folded to probe.

the screw driver and hammer is just to get things off.  you will still have to dremel/sand down things clean.  That should be good. 

all i use is a utility knife, little mallet + screwdriver and a 36 grit flap wheel..

none the less it looks like those terminals are toast too, I don't see the ends even up there or they've gotten REALLY hot and melted

i dont think i went into the metal much, i just ran over it with my die grinder until it was bare

i removed the terminals when i did the sanding. ill put them back in when i reinstall the cone

getting my recone today :D. ive watched many videos on the process. it seems i use cardboard to shimm, using 4 peices placed around the coil or doubling up on them if needed. glue the spider down and clamp it. after 15 min or so i glue down the surround in 5" segments until i make it all the way around. center the dust cap and glue that down, screw the leads back on and then wait 12 hours before i test it and 24 hours untill i play it?   

is there anything else i need to know?

I glued the cone in, there is a slight scraping noise when I press it down. I think the clamps pushed the spider over when I glued it. think it will be an issue?

I used 8 slits of manilla envelope to shimm it. doubled up on 4 points.

Doesn't sound to good. . How long after you glued did you take the shimms out?

2 hours

Didn't put the dust cap on yet did you?

The videos you watched should have said to let it dry over night with shimms in so coil dryed away from the pole.. and also wouldn't glue the surround a little at a time

I did the surround one bolt hole at a time. yes I just put the dust cap on.

the videos I watched said to shim and glue the spider while pressing the surround into its track. wait 15 min or so and glue the surround one bolt hole at a time. then put on the dust cap after removing the shimms. the noise makes me think the coil is slightly sideways. I think in the 40 seconds it took me to get the spider clamped the glue might have hardened in a lump on one side.

I don't think it has to do with the clamping you did. I think its because you took the shimms out before it was completely dry. . . Only thing I can think right now is try and get the dust cap back off and see if its for sure the coil rubbing. Or could be something left down in the gap. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Really hope its not to bad man

Sign in to follow this