b0r

people on another forum saying my box is a problem?

I had my box custom made and shipped to me. I asked for a 15" birch box to be made. The specs are 31.25 inches wide, 16 inches high and 19 inches deep. 3.25 inch wide port with 47.25 sq inches of port area. 3.55 cubes internally after displacements and tuned to 31.8Hz. All of these numbers appear to be within the specs posted by Nick for a BL 15....this is the only size box that will fit in my trunk. And taller, wider or deeper and it will not fit. Obviously a bit bigger would be great but is this not an efficient box? And if not, how, when it is built within the specs posted for BL 15 enclosures? Thanks.

They replied "some people don't know how to build boxes" and "Fi=fail". Maybe I'm just dealing with the wrong crowd.

what exactly is the question ? is it not loud enough ?

way more info is needed . car, amp , coil config to name a few

Explain the problem you have with the sound output first, THEN we can help you resolve your issues. Thanks

What forum are we talking about? The specs seem like they are okay.

what exactly is the question ? is it not loud enough ?

way more info is needed . car, amp , coil config to name a few

Dodge charger, Rockford T1000-1bdCP wired down to 1 ohm. I have the BL15 D2. I may not have my gain up enough, but people jumped on the box and "fi= fail" as being my problem. I just noted that I wasn't seeing any massive excursion at high volume, but my gain was set real low with a dd-1 and I think that's the problem I have to address first. Seats always down in back of my charger, sub and port firing backwards.

If your gain is all the way down on the amp and you have your sub wired correctly then there is absolutely no reason you can't slam on it! What headunit are you running and what are all of the subwoofer settings set to, what are all the amp settings set at? How do you have the sub wired specifically?

S M D forum?

that would be my best guess.

S M D forum?

Caraudio.com. all head unit settings are off or flat except for the subwoofer level which is +6. Infrasonic filter is on@28Hz and the low pass is set to 80Hz.

If your gain is all the way down on the amp and you have your sub wired correctly then there is absolutely no reason you can't slam on it! What headunit are you running and what are all of the subwoofer settings set to, what are all the amp settings set at? How do you have the sub wired specifically?

Sub is wired to 1 ohm following the crutchfield diagram. Pos to pos, neg to neg jumper and left pos going to box and right neg going to box. Tested at the speaker wire before going into the amp with a volt meter showing 1.3 which I'm pretty sure is the 1 ohm reading I'm looking for. Gain is up maybe 2 centimeters or less based on DD-1 tuning.

Ditch the DD1 and tune the amp by your own senses.

Ditch the DD1 and tune the amp by your own senses.

Yeah that's what I've learned here and what I did for over a decade prior to the DD-1. I just fell victim to a device claiming to get rid of any potential damage to my sub. Fool me once.

Set it that way and see what changed. As far as you definition of "massive excursion", what are you comparing to? xmax on the BL is 18mm. It's not going to be moving like a Xcon or SP4.

Set it that way and see what changed. As far as you definition of "massive excursion", what are you comparing to? xmax on the BL is 18mm. It's not going to be moving like a Xcon or SP4.

Just referring to YouTube videos of BLs on the same type of power in the same type of box give or take a .5 cubes. Their subs are flexing like jello and mine hits hard don't get me wrong, but it barely moves. It is still "New" with roughly 10 hours or so of play time.

Money wasn't an issue, but I didn't buy an SP4 because I don't have the power to ever run it to max potential or even slightly near rms. Never looked at the Xcon, but it looks like a beast. Perhaps I should've went that route. Maybe if I accidentally blow this up I would. 18mm is less than an inch if I'm not mistaken..so wow. Perplexed.

You found another useless thing. Video's. Fucking insane people even watch them. They don't show you shit that is useful.

I am still confused as to what your concern is. Excursion is NOT something that should be a concern. Pretty easy to make an excursion vid, just shut off your SSF and play below tuning...

You do understand that the sub has to wear in over time right? It's not going to drop low and be up to its full potential right out of the box.

Play it, it will come alive. If you're planning on the speakers moving assembly to flop around like a dead fish out of water that's not the intent of the speaker. If you see videos of them moving like that online it's due to somebody playing WAY below their boxes tuning frequency with no subsonic filter and they're going way past the linear point (which is 18mm). Then these are the same people who flip the hell out about yanking the tinsel leads out of their subs or burning them up.

The BL is not meant to be a high excursion sub by any means.

You're irritated because it isn't' moving 4"? Or are you irritated because it doesn't sound how you desire it to sound?

FWIW, ca.com went to shit 7-8 years ago - you are doing things right and properly, don't fall in the dismal abyss of the self proclaimed 'experts' of the internet..you'll jack something up in a heartbeat.

You do understand that the sub has to wear in over time right? It's not going to drop low and be up to its full potential right out of the box.

Play it, it will come alive. If you're planning on the speakers moving assembly to flop around like a dead fish out of water that's not the intent of the speaker. If you see videos of them moving like that online it's due to somebody playing WAY below their boxes tuning frequency with no subsonic filter and they're going way past the linear point (which is 18mm). Then these are the same people who flip the hell out about yanking the tinsel leads out of their subs or burning them up.

The BL is not meant to be a high excursion sub by any means.

You're irritated because it isn't' moving 4"? Or are you irritated because it doesn't sound how you desire it to sound?

FWIW, ca.com went to shit 7-8 years ago - you are doing things right and properly, don't fall in the dismal abyss of the self proclaimed 'experts' of the internet..you'll jack something up in a heartbeat.

My concern was 100% in not utilizing my equipment. I just wanted to make sure the box was legit, the amp was enough and the sub was not burning up. The thing is, with cheap equipment, who cares? $120 sub blows? Buy another one and turn the gain down. Blowing a few $400 woofers is enough to turn me off completely.

I'm going to set gains by ear tonight and let it go. I'm just picky with my electronics. Everything I have, no matter how old, can be sold as if it were brand new. I don't like the risk variable, but I have to accept it.

i dont think your even close to using your system to its full potential. Your babying the shit out of it

i dont think your even close to using your system to its full potential. Your babying the shit out of it

I assume so. My amp is cooking...on volume 25/47 with gain barely up it's hot...not insane hot but hot enough to wonder why at such low gain and volume. Grounded to the battery so the ground is solid. 0ga power and ground into 4 ga reducers. Voltage on my radar detector doesn't drop below 13.7. Is this just the cause of a 1 ohm wiring? It's on the back seat so I can feel it and it's slightly concerning. No thermal light yet though.

Grounded to the battery? Not the chassis? And heat issues? Hmm

Edited by gprestonmoto

Grounded to the battery? Not the chassis? And heat issues? Hmm

I've heard these Rockford power series just run hot, but I don't know for sure.

They very well could.  Back in the good 'ol days, before Class D amps ruled the roost the Class AB amps would get hot enough to fry eggs on, and that's no exaggeration.  Back in the mid 90's I traded a US Amps A50HC to a guy who put it on four 15" Rockford subs in an S10 at either 1 ohm, or .5 ohm bridged (amp was .25 ohm stable stereo so .5 bridged was fine).  Aside from the fact he had to put 4" C clamps every 6" to keep the fiberglass shell on the bed of his truck that amp ran so hot it melted the carpet on the board it was mounted to.  MELTED the carpet mind you and that was perfectly fine for that piece of equipment.  So hot you can only hold your hand on it for a few moments is pretty much how it goes for any amp at 1 ohm that's being run fairly good IMO.  The amps have thermal protection built into them and I've yet to see that protection fail on anything of any decent build quality so I'd just let it go and start to worry about it when it does go into protect, if ever.

I have  2 zcon 15s  took 7k and about 100 hrs  soft playing  to get any real numbers