Sign in to follow this  
Hell-Razor

1 15" in trunk design

Hey fellas,

After being away for a while from the car audio scene, a friends prototype actually grabbed my attention and I decided to get one. The only downside to this is it is super long (around 17 inches). If any of you guys remember CoDrive, then you know pretty much about this sub. For those of you who do not, it is a double motor, double vc design for one sub. It uses 10" spiders, custom machined sundown motors for 8 layer flat wound 3" voicecoils. This beast will have a good amount of excursion and kill the lows. With that said, it will weigh in at about 100lbs (doh).

I was looking at designs, messing around with some myself, playing with bbp (that thing doesn't like dual vc woofers much), talking to people on facebook and whatnot. I think I have come to the conclusion of firing forward with the sub on passengers side, port 90 degrees halfway back on the box to drivers side. now a 6" aero is a hair too small at like 9.8 in per cuft and a 8" is too big so I may think of trying to find some well piping 7" and make my own.

What do you guys think? My trunk dimensions are 40w, 21"d and 18.5h at front and 17.25h at the rear.

EDIT:

Forgot to add what I want out of this sub.. I just want the lows. I had 2 15s in (probably) too small of a box and was doing 52s. I would like to tune around 30, no higher than 35. I will be using my soundigital 8000.1 as well seeing as the rms on this sub will be about 7k.

Edited by Hell-Razor

why would the 8" port be too big? 

I think he is just sayin it's out of the 9-12 range for aero ported boxes. I say if your feeding 8k get a 8" port LOL.

I thought 8" ports were used for 15's anyway.

Try both 6" and 8" port In my opinion. Easiest way to figure out what is best :)

Im more looking for suggestions on which way to fire at the moment.

For my 8" aero comment - for a box around 3.5 cubes, it would need to be almost 30 inches long and thats insane.