Budah93

Sound Deadening Tape

I met a guy at a competition a few days ago that had some sound deadening tape and I was wondering where i could get some. it wasn't like dynatape that's just the aluminum tape but it actually sound deadening properties. I figured it be nice for a few places in my durango where my sound deadener is too think. Any idea where I might be able to find a product like this? I did a google search and all the ones I have found appear to just be aluminum tape. Thanks guys!

I did a google search and all the ones I have found appear to just be aluminum tape. Thanks guys!

I'm sure that's all it was.

was it aluminum or lead tape?  Aluminum would not have enough mass to have any sound deadening properties.  Lead tape on the other hand has been used for decades.  If it was just aluminum it is the same stuff used for AC duct vents and can be found at any home improvement store.

I did a google search and all the ones I have found appear to just be aluminum tape. Thanks guys!

No he showed it to me. It looked just like sound deadner but in a roll like duck tape. I didn't ask where he got it because I figured I could find it easily online

No he showed it to me. It looked just like sound deadner but in a roll like duck tape. I didn't ask where he got it because I figured I could find it easily online

They make a foil backed duct sealing tape that has a layer of about 1/8" sticky puddy on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281138794573?lpid=82

Edited by pmureika

That's might have been it. I'm just wanting it to put in my sunglasses holder because It rattles horribly and I think my sound deadner is too think so it wouldn't shut

They call it dynatape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281138794573?lpid=82

Budah93, on 21 Sept 2013 - 12:38, said:

That's might have been it. I'm just wanting it to put in my sunglasses holder because It rattles horribly and I think my sound deadner is too think so it wouldn't shut

Did you try the link?

Its made bye DynaMat. Its called DynaTape.

Edited by pmureika

i've read that dynatape is literally just aluminum covered tape and is used just for when pieces of dynamat dont line up

Better question is what is the application.

3M does make an OE product that looks like aluminum tape but although shockingly thin has some magic voodoo adhesive layer that does damp.  Basically positive that it won't help what you need though.

Knot knowing what you saw . I can say this as a roofing contractor I can say that roofing supply company carry a wide variety of so called peel n stick products that have a aluminum backer evry one I have seen have failed in the car audio aspect!

Does the dynatape have sound dampening?

Does the dynatape have sound dampening?

err, maybe....for what?

This isn't a black and white thing.  What is it that you hope to accomplish with tape?

I said above...My sunglass holder in my durango rattles a lot so I'm trying to make it rattle less. I tried sound deadner but its too think so I can't shut it with the deadener in.

Didn't see that.  Rattles aren't usually helped by a constrained layer unless you actually constrain the rattling surface, but any tape would then do that.  You need to isolate the two vibrating surfaces from each other.  Normally a closed cell foam or the like is used for that.

Perhaps some foam backed tape might help?

J

do you use that holder or plain on using it?

if not then some one min opoxy solve that issue

i dont think felt would isolate any rattles. ccf is his best bet

I met a guy last comp I was at who used aluminum tape for ductwork he said it worked well and was cheap

I met a guy last comp I was at who used aluminum tape for ductwork he said it worked well and was cheap

That's not for deadening, its used in SPL mainly to fix imperfections/seal gaps

That's not for deadening, its used in SPL mainly to fix imperfections/seal gaps
Ahhh ok. That was just what he told me