whitey

need help with a box for my kickers....

yes, I know kicker isn't a real high end brand but i got an excellent deal on 2 12 inch L5s and a kenwood kac 9152D 900 rms mono amp. the guy i bought them from built a very piss poor box out of subflooring material and basically gestimated a slotted port dimension. the box performs about as well as a dual brand bandpass box. he was using a head unit with a very good EQ and in his integra the drivers performed well all things considered. in my jeep however, they only operate (I'm guessing here) in the 50 to 65 hz range well and only give me a bit of a hum in the low range. now, I know you can still get a good low end response out of a set of 12s. I've witnessed this. I've built a few enclosures before for other people using factory specs on the drivers provided, but in this case i want to really put some time and effort into it and further impress my kicker crazy brother in laws until I can afford something really extravagent ( maybe a set of FI's or something? ).  does  any one on here have experience with these kickers or else get me going in the right direction? I'm an amatuer in my knowledge and understanding of box building. I can provide almost any bit of info on the drivers upon request. NO, I'M NOT going to throw them away and go spend 1000 dollars i don't have on some crazy awesome drivers. thats what i've been told on other sites so far

Nothing wrong with Kickers. Designed for more mainstream style boxes, but perform well in them.

Nothing wrong with Kickers. Designed for more mainstream style boxes, but perform well in them.

i agree

a quick search showed the jeep having 80 cubic feet of cabin space. and i also agree on kickers performing well in a mainstream box. my brother in law has a good set of kicker cvx or cwr or something in a prefab kicker box with a 500.1 kicker amp wired at 2 ohms and he KILLS me on low frequency performance. his setup is in a 98 legacy wagon. i know i have much higher spl by far but like i said, i want to get better tone. on the flipside a was able to flex my windshield enough to make my mirror fall off, which is cool in my book. sorry i'm a long winded sob

a quick search showed the jeep having 80 cubic feet of cabin space. and i also agree on kickers performing well in a mainstream box. my brother in law has a good set of kicker cvx or cwr or something in a prefab kicker box with a 500.1 kicker amp wired at 2 ohms and he KILLS me on low frequency performance. his setup is in a 98 legacy wagon. i know i have much higher spl by far but like i said, i want to get better tone. on the flipside a was able to flex my windshield enough to make my mirror fall off, which is cool in my book. sorry i'm a long winded sob

Need to know the maximum hight, width, and depth you are willing yo give up.

heres a question; is there any kind of mathematical formula or equation i can follow that allows me to calculate port dimension according to desired tuning frequency and enclosure volume? i went through the pinned post for new members that outlines alot of these topics but nothing i found directly related to my issue

Yes, there are many online calculators. The best source to understand the reasonings and the actual formulas is Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker Cookbook 7th edition". It can be found on Amazon.

Use the search function on the top right of this forum and search minimum port area. Use my name in the search, you'll find I have posted the formulas many times.

i am willing to sacrafice up to 4'x4'x4' or thereabouts.

Yes, there are many online calculators. The best source to understand the reasonings and the actual formulas is Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker Cookbook 7th edition". It can be found on Amazon.

Use the search function on the top right of this forum and search minimum port area. Use my name in the search, you'll find I have posted the formulas many times.

i've searched a bit and still cant find a post with this formula

Use below for port area. It is based on Small's minimum port area formula. There is one problem however. Just about every manufacturer lists Xmax per a 70% BL. This figure is not accurate as Small's definition of Xmax is the coils physical overhang. To get in the ballpark of this figure multiply the published BL Xmax rating by .66. For example if the sub is listed as 30mm Xmax it would actually be ~20mm

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Some members here can design very good box for you. It's cheap and efficient.
Try DL Custom, or DL Designz.

I have good results with RAM Designs, too.

But if you want to make it by your own, it's up to you !

4x4x4?  That alot of room! lol- should be able to build whatever you want.

Quentin- thanks for the links- they are now saved to my favorites for future reference.  Plugged in my box #'s and it was within an inch of with winisd did when I built it...but alot easier.