im using a crappy boss flip out head unit. and my system getting to loud to where it is shutting my head unit off until i hit the power button on.

any suggestions on what is the best head unit to get? 

You sure its not that your voltage is dropping too low, causing your headunit to cut off?

i really dont think so. because my lights on my dash are not dimming nor is my headlights. plus i have my big three..

but i mean i do have stock alternator and battery

You looking for another flip, double din or single din? I personally have the Pioneer 80PRS running active & love it. It has alot of abilities that may not be in your needs. It comes down to what features you want/need & a price point.

My car can't have a double din. Unless I fiberglass my dash. I want a flip out. But my system is getting to loud so I don't wanna break it. So I guess a single den. And really for my car system willing to put a lot into it lol

budget and list of essential features? 

IMO the best headunit is to not have one at all, so yeah, Brendan's question is rather important.

Well Im getting a clarion eq. Monday. Usb for sure. Probably ipod and aux. But I mean how easy is it to not have one? And what is the plus of not having a head unit

m5's just bragging about his tablet install. ignore him haha

not sure what the extra eq is for considering you could have gotten a HU with those features if they're really needed. 

Actually unrelated to my tablet. If you don't listen to over the air broadcasts you end up paying a lot of $ for a h/u. Most people use no features on them and only input a portable music player anyways. If that is the case, then not having one is appropriate. If you need a tuner then it becomes more difficult.

My comment was actually more to be as abstract as the question. Best headunit for me is surely one that doesn't exist.

Better question though, why are you buying an EQ? Awfully bad time to do that if you are about to replace your headunit. Most new headunits can already do everything that the eq brings to the table...

I like having my eq because its easier/faster to control than going through setting on a head unit and for the bass control

the only headunit eq that was annoying for me was an alpine 9855 with the slider control

I don't like the controls on h u. I like the eq. Where its right there

Actually unrelated to my tablet. If you don't listen to over the air broadcasts you end up paying a lot of $ for a h/u. Most people use no features on them and only input a portable music player anyways. If that is the case, then not having one is appropriate. If you need a tuner then it becomes more difficult.

My comment was actually more to be as abstract as the question. Best headunit for me is surely one that doesn't exist.

I have more than 1 app that streams live radio in our country in practically any city you can think of and for other countries as well so using a tablet isn't going to lose the radio.. 

Hell, as a matter of fact, using a tablet for radio will give you better reception, lol.

you shouldn't be touching the EQ very much so I dont understand the need for an additional item in the signal chain. if you are whats the reasoning for it? 

Edited by lithium

I have more than 1 app that streams live radio in our country in practically any city you can think of and for other countries as well so using a tablet isn't going to lose the radio.. 

Hell, as a matter of fact, using a tablet for radio will give you better reception, lol.

Two concerns with your plan that a tuner resolves. 1) No data required and 2) Rural areas and drop outs. Both could make someone want a tuner. Btw, there is another solution I have for my car and that is an FM antenna for my Tablet. I can use whatever I want as a source wink.png

you shouldn't be touching the EQ very much so I dont understand the need for an additional item in the signal chain. if you are whats the reasoning for it?

Exactly. Telltale sign of needing some serious setup help. EQ's should be for fixing anomalies in the install.

i got the eq before i realized i had to switch out my hu. my hu is messing up. but on the equalizer all i got are the knobs to turn on what i want instead of hitting buttons