Sign in to follow this  
Dexter Chaos

Fusing with batteries in trunk

This May sound simple to some but wanted some clarification. I am installing two batteries in my trunk. How they will have to be installed will require me to put about a five foot piece of wire between the positive connections.

I will be fusing before first battery where it entered trunk location and fusing after second battery before amp connection.

My question is should I install fusing after the first battery and then install a second fuse before it connects to the second battery or will one fuse between them be sufficient?

One fuse between the two batteries is sufficient

i disagree. although i have no fuses heres the reality.

say you only fuse at the first bat

the wire ur running touches something

the front bat fuse will blow, but that rear bat will have it so that the wire is still hot

so if ur trying to protect your investment fuse under the hood and in the trunk.

I'm with djjdnap on this one. One fuse next to each positive battery terminal :) 

you fuse at each power source to prevent a dead short in case the wiring between the sources is shorted to ground or burns up due to too much current 

i run, front battery  fuse-----------------------------------fuse back battery bank --------- fuse --------- amp

Jon and quentin have it right.

For a generalized answer for those to remember-

ANY time a power cable is terminated(connected to something.. ) it will need a fuse for safety.

Every time a cable is terminated, fuse it. 

The only exception to this that is not necessary is when paralleling batteries within the it's own bank.

IF they are all next to each other, the likelihood of one of those cables grounding is practically improbable.