Sign in to follow this  
achn2b

Just got my SA-6.5CS components

Probably won't have any time to put them in for another couple weeks, but just wanted some info. 

What crossover point should I use for the woofers to protect them from too much power? Right now my SAX 50.4 needs repair, so I'm gonna be using an old ADS PQ 10 bridged to run them, so probably around 60-80 watts per channel, so shouldn't be too large an issue with that. But when I get my Sundown amp back, I thought I would run that bridged, which would give them what, about 160 watts/channel? 

I've seen Jacob mention he's been running his off two channels of a 200.4, so I assume that's 200/channel? So what crossover point is recommended, and higher with a shallow slope, or lower with a steeper slope? 

Edited by achn2b

Just do it by ear, set it at what your subwoofer crosses over at, and go up if needed.

It's not about setting by ear, it's about protecting the set from too much power. 

You will be able to hear when you are over powering or bottoming out the driver. that's my point.

start out around 80hz, understand that the marking on the amp isn't precise so listen for distortion, etc. 

Man, these speakers are freakin' amazing. If Jacob is still working on an SQ set, I can't wait to hear how those sound. 

Wide soundstage, clean and detailed, plenty of kick for midbass drivers. They seem a little forward or in your face sounding, but that might not be an issue with the speakers so much as the difference from what they replaced. Since my previous set were 5 1/4" mids, and these are 6.5", they're gonna have much more output.They may be a bit more efficient as well.  And the tweeter position of the old set had them firing downward toward the dash a bit, which has been corrected with the swivel feature of this new tweet. Raised the soundstage up a bit also.

These sound as good or better than the set of Boston Acoustic Pros that they replaced which when new almost 30 years ago cost twice what this set does. Totally happy with my purchase of these.  

Sign in to follow this