gentlejax

SKAR amps...whats the story?

I picked up a 125.4D  from my repair tech..never heard one but he said it puts out more than rated and sounds pretty clean. I will soon find out.   Just curious the deal on the amps and company., Most of what I have seen is not that favorable but I dont know if that is the owner or the product.

my tech is a engineer and he reverse engineered the amp and had good things to say about it. better quality that he has seen in a while.

Company sucks the subs suck, the amps I'm not sure about. Probably just off the shelf from Asia with a skar sticker slapped on it.

It's mostly the company/owner and the subs that are horrible. Never heard anything really bad about the amps though. Probably what Rick said is true.

I picked up a 125.4D  from my repair tech..never heard one but he said it puts out more than rated and sounds pretty clean. I will soon find out.   Just curious the deal on the amps and company., Most of what I have seen is not that favorable but I dont know if that is the owner or the product.

my tech is a engineer and he reverse engineered the amp and had good things to say about it. better quality that he has seen in a while.

Can he name the brand amps he has looked at? 

I have used skars high end SK series amp and was happy with it's performance.

But as a company it sucks!

Also their subs might get loud but have poor sound quality.

Edited by pmureika

my tech repairs thousands of amps a year. he has made some of his own and then sold the finished design to other companies but he cant tell me who because its in the contract.  He was the repair tech for ED but he has also contracted for Pioneer and Alpine.

Let just say this. He can take most any amp and make it better or find where the week spots are and improve them.  he has amps that cost thousands . He is not some hack job repairman.

He has the equipment to repair even the newest stuff that in some cases most cant . 

I would trust my tech over Steve Mantz any day of the week. 

he told me this 125.4 was actually well made  and he hates Chinese amps and most of the amps that some people think are good.

he knows more than probably most of us on all these forums.    He is not just a repairman but he is also inside the loop and knows what he is talking about .

In that case, i'd love to hear what he'd have to say about being able to repair 10kw+ Half Bridge amps.

The parts used in these amps are usually only accessible through the company who builds them themselves and are only sent to their authorized repair centers. 

The reason for this is H-bridge isn't so common yet it's still used in the absolutely largest amps on this planet and parts for them are rare access to those who need to repair them.

There are only 2 facilities i know of in the US who either know how to do it or have access to do it.

That would be a challenge for him.

Fish much?

Fish much?

what a useful post, thanks a lot. others will really appreciate that helpful and informative post.

anyhow. I had a chance to listen to it in the car turned up loud. bridged giving somewhere in neighborhood of 300x2@4ohms.  

its loud and clear. I was pleased with the output.  I have at times had other class D amps that sounded harsh when volume was really loud. this one like my tech said didnt sound strained.

I am running a SK125.4D  replacing a Soundstream Ref500sx.

Fish much?

I am running a SK125.4D  replacing a Soundstream Ref500sx.

I would rather use the Soundstream.

few weeks into the use and all I can say is this sounds as good as I can tell to my soundstream refs but doesnt get hot and has a ton of power bridged . I am getting like 400x2 on this thing bridged.

its rated 133x4 but its stronger than that according to my tech and his equipment.

It is better than any of the class D i have run and he also thinks its a good one. 

I have run literally hundreds of amps and quite a few on the setup I have now and I have no reason to change other than maybe to match my sub amp but that would require me to find a smoking deal on a amp I never see go for cheap

Company sucks the subs suck, the amps I'm not sure about. Probably just off the shelf from Asia with a skar sticker slapped on it.

The Sk Series is made in Korea and isn't a bad line of amplifiers.

few weeks into the use and all I can say is this sounds as good as I can tell to my soundstream refs but doesnt get hot and has a ton of power bridged . I am getting like 400x2 on this thing bridged.

its rated 133x4 but its stronger than that according to my tech and his equipment.

It is better than any of the class D i have run and he also thinks its a good one. 

I have run literally hundreds of amps and quite a few on the setup I have now and I have no reason to change other than maybe to match my sub amp but that would require me to find a smoking deal on a amp I never see go for cheap

Request Skar to do a Dyno test .... gayhaaay1.gif

Your tech has no idea if he thinks it is doing above what it is rated at. Even IF it was it is pointless to your ear. They are budget amp copies of someone elses random design. There is no engineering in them. Nothing special. Welcome to the internet.

They are your run of the mill, order them like it's a take out menu Asian build house amplifier. I don't see what there is to get excited about, and I'd be concerned if your tech wasn't able to spot that. To be honest I doubt the amps are "bad", but nothing you couldn't order and start a business selling with enough capital to meet minimum order quantities, just like the majority of these other internet companies. But Kevin is a douche and unethically promotes his products, aside from his past business issues, so I would highly recommend anyone against supporting his business.

Their amps aren't bad. Few locals have had good luck with the 4500s. I've done a few deals with Kevin and no issues but many others have. 

Good rant Jon +1 lol

And the ridiculous part is that a lot of skar shit is the same price or MORE expensive than Sundown gear.

And the ridiculous part is that a lot of skar shit is the same price or MORE expensive than Sundown gear.

i was going to touch on that but i figured i had already said enough...... and im drunk so i was not sure that i was conveying my self well as it was....

but your exactly right.... he came out as a company that boasted them selfs on selling a great product cheaper then " the other guys" (sundown) .. but some how quickly change into selling a  premium conservatively rated high end audio selection..... with a price to match the claim...  funny to me.

I got this same SKAR amp just a few weeks ago. I elected to power my Milles with it instead of using my Butler. All I can say is "Amazing"! These little class Ds sound better than tubes.

FWIW, I did opt to add a turbocharger and intercooler to it to boost performance. Fuck tubes, I am all about some SKAB Audio!

my tech repairs thousands of amps a year. he has made some of his own and then sold the finished design to other companies but he cant tell me who because its in the contract.  He was the repair tech for ED but he has also contracted for Pioneer and Alpine.

Let just say this. He can take most any amp and make it better or find where the week spots are and improve them.  he has amps that cost thousands . He is not some hack job repairman.

He has the equipment to repair even the newest stuff that in some cases most cant . 

he told me this 125.4 was actually well made  and he hates Chinese amps and most of the amps that some people think are good.

he knows more than probably most of us on all these forums.    He is not just a repairman but he is also inside the loop and knows what he is talking about .

This is akin to saying you'd trust and actor who plays a Dr. on television over an actual MD.

Seriously. . .   You're talking about a guy who REPAIRS amps over a man who has DESIGNED some of the greatest amplifiers of all time, many of them ahead of their times, has been tapped by manufacturers around the world to do OEM work, has lasted through every incarnartion of the industry and continues to stay around.  What does that say of Mr. Mantz? 

This has to be one the most ignorant statements I've ever read.

This is akin to saying you'd trust and actor who plays a Dr. on television over an actual MD.

Seriously. . .   You're talking about a guy who REPAIRS amps over a man who has DESIGNED some of the greatest amplifiers of all time, many of them ahead of their times, has been tapped by manufacturers around the world to do OEM work, has lasted through every incarnartion of the industry and continues to stay around.  What does that say of Mr. Mantz? 

This has to be one the most ignorant statements I've ever read.

This repair guy is THAT good.

This thread is stupid.