will i saw a car with a pc in it over the weekend and i want to do it but don't know it it is going to work better the a head unit

so if have done this or if you know if i can do a sq build with it 

define what you need your system to do. 

if you don't know you shouldn't do it.

Mp3car.com has a lot of good tutorials on the subject.

i wood like it to sound good 

he has the pc running 2 amps 1 for his subs and 1 for the doors 

i am a competitor and i want to get in to sq 

he showed me that he could change the frequency response om the fly with the program he was using 

if anything, most vehicles today can get away with a tablet instead of an actual carpc(external case).

I plan on installing a tablet as a secondary source for everything.. but even though i am techy.. until my current double din of 6yrs dies, i'll continue using an actual car HU simply because it integrates with the vehicle's stock wiring and accessories and turn on time is instant.

Until i have time to research how i can integrate cameras, wheel controls, dual zone capability and integration with cameras how HUs do, then i'll stick with HUs..  Not saying it can't be done, i just havent researched it yet.

i wood like it to sound good 

he has the pc running 2 amps 1 for his subs and 1 for the doors 

i am a competitor and i want to get in to sq 

he showed me that he could change the frequency response om the fly with the program he was using 

active processing can be done with the right hu very easily. certainly doesn't require a pc

i know it does not but how mini cars do you see with a pc in it not mini 

Ha, wouldn't call those tutorials. ALL the information necessary is there but holy fucking headache to find.

define what you need your system to do.

THis.

You answers so far say that ANY headunit controlled processor will solve them. It'd be seriously stupid to bother with a car pc for that. If there was some processing you wanted to do that was rather unorthodox for a reason of course that goes out the window, but the power of something like an H701 I would be way eclipses what you need or could even utilize completely. Large learnging curve with processing and you would have been specific (or will be soon) over what you need otherwise it will just be a fuck show to integrate.

Personally I was going to run a carpc if you asked me even 3 months ago. It's for my next car which I'll get in December, but at this point there is no way I am running a carpc. Processing power was something that nearly made me run both a PC and an Android, but at this point it'll all be just a rather hacked tablet.

I'll give you one hint, GPS is fucking TERRIBLE on a pc.

will not doing it for the gps.  

was not planning on integrating in with the car like speed and all that shit way to much 

just want something different you can up grade the sound card and get better quality sound and all sorts of aps 

you can put all your music on the hard drive in the pc dont have to take a flash drive all over the place  

Upgrading the sound card won't do anything. Not going to exceed what is available on the d/a's in a reasonable car stereo. Music will also play on either.

will i am going to do it just bc i want to 

and i thank it will be something you dont see every day in a fr-s

will i am going to do it just bc i want to 

and i thank it will be something you dont see every day in a fr-s

Read the title of your thread. Outside of the emotional reasons you haven't listed ANYTHING that a carpc does better. Not saying it isn't a good solution. Hell if Win8 would pull it's head out of its ass and allow all win8 apps to run on any platform I personally would run one. I'm choosing a more flexible platform in that regard and the side benefit is that it is cheaper.

so you would do a tablet over a pc 

depends what your goals are

Ha, wouldn't call those tutorials. ALL the information necessary is there but holy fucking headache to find.

Yeaah, I should of specified but, there is a lot on the Mac carpc scene. 

so you would do a tablet over a pc

I didn't say that, I said that I AM. Huge difference. You should do what you need. Buying/designing something else makes no sense. Doing it to do it is a waste of money as you will find out right when it is done that you wish you'd have done something else. Answer Lithium's question please. Otherwise not sure why you even bothered to make a thread. You obviously want to do something and seem to be going down the path of ignoring any and all advice. I don't get it...

Yeaah, I should of specified but, there is a lot on the Mac carpc scene.
And they are all horseshit. Mac & CarPC is the worst combination. Fucking awful.

Installing a car PC or tablet looks like a huge pita. I use my car audio system for audio playback only. So all of the bells and whistles with a PC or tablet are useless to me.

IPod -> PureI-20 -> DSP -> amps. Short list of components, simple install

Again, answer Lithium's question. Can't recommend anything unless we know.

Will I am going for a sq build and don't want a double din and noting that's some crazy high preamp voltage something you don't see every day just a all around good hu and I don't know if it is possible to use a hard drive on any regular head unit but that wood be nice

Edited by quvit92

i cant read this. Please put some effort into your posts. Why should we help if you're not willing to put in the time to give a decent response to our questions?

Sorry for the late entry here but this is a fascinating read so here's my take on it. I'm not a mobile-audio expert by any stretch, but I have racked my brains trying to figure out the best way to stream my 35k songs in iTunes across the house to my Pre-Pro's, and Focal Electras, all while using PS3 to access the library. Not an audiophile player, but the best I can do for now.

And ONE thing is clear: never let the iPod or Mac (or windoze for that matter) do the DAC process.

So, nothing would make me happier than having a pop-out iPad mini holder in my dashboard and running an app that controls all things regarding levels, menus, playlists etc.

But only if the file itself were extracted from the device and DAC processed by a superior (FAR superior) device that kicked out 4-5V pre-outs RCA to Amp.

Using a sound card with RCA outs from a laptop would be useless. Jap big-box store names like Denon et al, they have all your bells and whistles for iPod drops, and do take the file out and process it themselves, but you're dealing with mass-consumer satisfaction, which IMNSHO, is a lower bar than the Audiophile demands. So, to bridge between superior PRE/PRO sep's and our digital music collection, we'll use something in between, like Cambridge DAC Magic - http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/dacmagic-plus-digital-to-analogue-converter

So the new Pioneer-DEH-80PRS of course will do this, taking the files out of iPhone, Pod, Pad, etc. from SPotify, Pandora, my iTunes home collection via Plex app, you name it.

As good as a Cambridge or other home device? Who knows.