Sorry for the late entry here but this is a fascinating read so here's my take on it. I'm not a mobile-audio expert by any stretch, but I have racked my brains trying to figure out the best way to stream my 35k songs in iTunes across the house to my Pre-Pro's, and Focal Electras, all while using PS3 to access the library. Not an audiophile player, but the best I can do for now.

And ONE thing is clear: never let the iPod or Mac (or windoze for that matter) do the DAC process.

So, nothing would make me happier than having a pop-out iPad mini holder in my dashboard and running an app that controls all things regarding levels, menus, playlists etc.

But only if the file itself were extracted from the device and DAC processed by a superior (FAR superior) device that kicked out 4-5V pre-outs RCA to Amp.

Using a sound card with RCA outs from a laptop would be useless. Jap big-box store names like Denon et al, they have all your bells and whistles for iPod drops, and do take the file out and process it themselves, but you're dealing with mass-consumer satisfaction, which IMNSHO, is a lower bar than the Audiophile demands. So, to bridge between superior PRE/PRO sep's and our digital music collection, we'll use something in between, like Cambridge DAC Magic - http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/dacmagic-plus-digital-to-analogue-converter

So the new Pioneer-DEH-80PRS of course will do this, taking the files out of iPhone, Pod, Pad, etc. from SPotify, Pandora, my iTunes home collection via Plex app, you name it.

As good as a Cambridge or other home device? Who knows.

:)

I use a real dac with my android tab. Unlike a pos apple product you can charge AND connect to a usb hub at the same time

I use a real dac with my android tab. Unlike a pos apple product you can charge AND connect to a usb hub at the same time

software name?

software name?

I have the feeling he was alluding to a hardware DAC .. I could be wrong

ya, hardware. i was thinking about using Behringer UCA202 for nexus 7. not sure which m5 went with. 

ya, hardware. i was thinking about using Behringer UCA202 for nexus 7. not sure which m5 went with. 

hadn't looked at that product in a while... did they recently do any update? UCA222??? 

haven't looked into them too much, wont need one for my setup if the 3.5mm headphone out does its job. probably a few others out there but i dont remember any specific models. 

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this, but would anything like this be what you mean? http://precisionpower.com/store/products/accessories/signal-processors/deq-8-127.html#!prettyPhoto

(granted 10x the cost of that Behringer)

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this, but would anything like this be what you mean? http://precisionpower.com/store/products/accessories/signal-processors/deq-8-127.html#!prettyPhoto

What lithium posted is just really a nice quality output converter basically, what you posted is a DSP and looks interesting but not for the price.. Might as well get a head unit with all the controls

that is a dps, haven't seen that one before actually. i know the deq 8 is the minidsp built unit, not sure about that design however. 

the usb dac that i posted is a digital to analog converter. when plugged into a tablet like the nexus 7 you get audio out via usb (digital) instead of using the headphone out (analog). 

Yes, any headphone jack is going to be pure crap!

That seems severely cheap though, it can't possibly be much of a quality conversion. There must be a mobile version that bumps up the audiophile processing at least as good or better than most nicer HU's that take the file via USB from ipod etc. you can throw in the glove box?