jonbearsmt

my DSS ethos

so as alot of you know, i have ran sundown for many years in the lincoln, and recently the Zcons, and then back to the sundowns..

well after following the long coming of the ethos i decided to give them a shot.......

i was very impressed  with the packing, first off.. i have bought a lot of big subs.. but none were packed like these, .. they didn't  move an inch in shipping,  ill show you why!!

20131003_211149_zpsac90dee4.jpg

gotta love wood !

20131003_211210_zps2e5ff305.jpg

20131003_211223_zps3cd7b647.jpg

20131003_211230_zps6ca8d4f1.jpg

20131003_211254_zpsdf087bee.jpg

and this idea i liked alot, it keeps the motor from moving, and of course wood on the bottom

20131003_211311_zps56e0156f.jpg

now lets look at the sub,

first thing that caught my eye was the raised lettered dust cap, its classy and different,  and the cone its self is nice stiff and very hard, thick if you will,

20131003_211356_zps77e1e708.jpg

second thing i noticed was dat ass!!!  its massive, this sub is heavy!!

also the matted black basket, its so very sexy, and again . different

20131003_211421_zpsc9ce4c8f.jpg

20131003_211439_zps17cd96d2.jpg

20131003_211723_zpsb3bda663.jpg20131003_211723_zpsb3bda663.jpg

i think the QC guy forgot to look at this one after it was glued,  the glue comes off with a little work....

leads are nice, tethered and heat shrunk

20131003_211543_zpsae985aec.jpg

a peak into her gutts

20131003_211507_zps8b992b6d.jpg

20131003_211524_zps70020105.jpg

lastly is the black chrome basket ... some bitch is sexy!!!.....

this one has some glue but comes off

20131005_144939_zpsed9f1d37.jpg

i was a little sad to see that the builder didnt  protect the black chrome back plate while assembling not a huge deal to me.. as im not inverting them... 

20131005_141645_zps0427fa36.jpg

20131005_174752_zps543d0e77.jpg

20131005_174741_zpsb7618159.jpg

ok so lets get down to it,  so i dropped them in on the NS1 at 1 ohm.. left the settings where they were from the nightshade V2's and let them eat on some music for a while.. about 6 songs right off the bat.. at full tilt... got them nice and hot and smelly... as to be expected straight out of the box... so after about 2 hours  play time they are broken in and the spiders are softer,

ill say it right now..  I AM NOT BEING EASY on these subs.. i know i WILL find the limit on them....  but until then lets have some fun!!!

these subs are really nice on music, they are punchy quick  and carry lows like a beast,  its hard to explain, but its like some how they have the best of both worlds,  it has made some of the songs i liked but never  played with the nightshades because they would not respond fast enough  a joy to listen to once again ,

these subs are taking power like  a boss, im going back thru all my music folders looks for new songs to play because the realm of lows and response of these subs is unmatched  and i cant wait...

i will keep playing them, and tell ya'll more about them as i learn about them... were still getting to know one another :P

i can tell you i am very pleased at this point :D

i have some videos but uploading  them is proving to be a challenge, but i wll get them posted ,:D

Edited by bigjon

They look sexy!! Have you had a chance to really listen to them yet?

Edited by Bassink

Temptation is setting in..I want some. Really wanna see pics when they get installed!

sorry i mistakenly posted half way thru me being done... check back in on the first post i finished :D

good stuff!  I'm not too thrilled about them being dragged across the floor scratching the back plate nor the glue residue.  I will have the factory put protective adhesive plastic on the top and bottom plate to prevent scratches.  And by looking at the empty box pic it does appear the motor shifted an inch or two.  I'll have them use a double layered box as that one looks a little flimsy.  Keep any details about issues coming I would expect these to come in the same condition as a big brand driver would.   

Lol I ran back through, and before I got to your last post I thought I was an asshat for not seeing the install pics like "How did i miss that?"I dont want to incite another dustcap discussion but they look really sleek. I figured they would sound better, but do they keep up with the NS's in terms of being loud to the ear?

Lol I ran back through, and before I got to your last post I thought I was an asshat for not seeing the install pics like "How did i miss that?"I dont want to incite another dustcap discussion but they look really sleek. I figured they would sound better, but do they keep up with the NS's in terms of being loud to the ear?

I thought I missed the pics too and asked if he got 2 15s to replace lol then I look back and they were there haha

yea I know the next batch will change.  I had never heard of that other company before I had them tooled.  I'll keep the same format just a different font, something like my avatar.

yes it did move a bit,.. and one of the other cups came unglued from the board .. so it was able to move around, but not much,

yes the scratches  on 2 out of the three were a shame to see on such a sexy sub, that black chrome is a huge plus on  the sub..  and for it to come out of the box already scratched :(

if i wall i will be inverting them BTW :D

Cool beans bro, congrats on the new woofer. When do i get a demo. :)

to the ear they sound louder,  plenty louder..

it hurts my ears now.. something that was never an issue..

but only the TL can put the proof in the pudding,  

i hope to meter then soon. im just so busy with my new job

Well so far it looks like I've hit my design goals.  at least $75 cheaper than the closest competition and destroy the lows.  As far as TL numbers keep this in mind this is a $355 sub with shipping included.  I have other options with the same design goals in the works that will be rated ~3,500 watts rms that will be in the same price point of the ~$500 subs that most consider "SPL" oriented.  Beside the big Magnetar which will be in the 5,000 watt range every sub line from entry level to top tier will produce the same type of sound as the Ethos.  Only difference will be amount of output which will be limited by each line's xmax.

Tuned in Jon. Looks good. I hope they get the rest right for you QJ. 

Glad you're liking them. It'll be nice to see QJ succeed. 

Tuned in Jon. Looks good. I hope they get the rest right for you QJ. 

Glad you're liking them. It'll be nice to see QJ succeed. 

we'll get it all straightened out before I take anymore orders.  I'll be taking with him this week about making a trip up to take a look at the assembly line to see exactly why these little issues are occurring.  And this is NOT saying anything bad about Nick or his operation.  I have dealt with every single in the US that is in the business of supply parts and assembly for OEM and ODM.  He has been the most professional and easiest person to deal with.  His vast knowledge and extreme portfolio of factories and suppliers at his disposal is unrivaled compared to any other company I've dealt with.  I give him props for taking me this far and I'm sure it will be no problem fixing the small little details.  I've been told that most other companies don't like to share the fact that they use IA as a supplier but as much as Nick and Tricia has helped me so far I feel responsible to give them props for being a top notch group of people.  And I would not hesitate to pursued other start-ups to contact them for advise.      

Oh yeah, this is awesome! Be sure to give us all the detail you can Jon.

I've had my eyes on these since Quinten was first talking about them, but I don't have the money to spare or a project going on to use them in. I know when I do I'll be grabbing some up though.

I can't wait to hear more from you about their performance!

to the ear they sound louder,  plenty louder..

it hurts my ears now.. something that was never an issue..

but only the TL can put the proof in the pudding,  

i hope to meter then soon. im just so busy with my new job

Well that's badass...

I can't wait to get mine in now. I wish the person that I payed to build my enclosure would get back to me as I've been waiting for two months.

I've had my eyes on these since Quinten was first talking about them, but I don't have the money to spare or a project going on to use them in. I know when I do I'll be grabbing some up though.

I can't wait to hear more from you about their performance!

as capital allows I'll be purchasing 10'' and 18'' baskets.  I will also have a 10'' cone body retooled to get rid of the awful gap between the surround and basket.  We will see how these work out and I;ll go forward with stuff after xmax. I have a TON of parts and drivers already ready to be built.  I want to keep it simple .there will be three levels of subs.  one with 10mm xmax, one with 20mm xmax and the third which is the Ethos.  All these will have the same performance goals and type of sound as the ethos just lower power handling due to lower xmax capabilities and of course lower prices.  After that two niche driver are ready.  One uses the same motor as the Ethos but will use an 8 layer coil and be ~3,500 rms and the big Magnetar which will be north of 5,000 watts rms.  

And I have begun working on Korean ODM amps to match the DSS subs.  And just like the DSS subs they will be cheaper by a great deal than the competition while containing quality parts.  This is beyond my set skill so Nick will be in charge of choosing the best performance to cost ratio. The sample will then be independently tested to verify performance by John Levreault of Orvelle Technologies.  Once production on the amps begin I will be purchasing an Audio Precision analyzer and each and every amp will be given a birth sheet before they ship to the customer.

This is beyond my set skill so Nick will be in charge of choosing the best performance to cost ratio. The sample will then be independently tested to verify performance by John Levreault of Orvelle Technologies.  

Honesty, I like it!

Wow am I impressed. Quentin, your honesty and straight forwardness makes me want to try your product!

Wow am I impressed. Quentin, your honesty and straight forwardness makes me want to try your product!

This is the best way I can explain why.  I live in a very very small town.  The type of place where if you do something wrong as a child your parents and grandparents know about it before you get home.  My family name is a good one and we are known to help out as much as possible.  It isn't just a better ploy of doing business.  I believe it's a better way to live life and I'm much happier and prouder when I can truly help other people.  You can ask anyone that knows me personally that it isn't just a front, it my way of life.

That's awesome man. The world NEEDS more people like you. Eventually one day your products will be in my vehicle.

Looks like some great subs. Quick. Question tho jon, is the middle magnet chipped? In some of the pictures it appears as if a small chunk is gone.

J

Looks like some great subs. Quick. Question tho jon, is the middle magnet chipped? In some of the pictures it appears as if a small chunk is gone.

J

It's very possible.  I'm also getting boots made to help prevent this.  I will say that these are very high quality magnets.  The BL per Klippel was within .02 of the theoretical BL based on a perfect magnet in my magnetics program.  This is extremely good.  Some lower quality magnets on cheaper subs can see a 10 percent variation in strength.

WOW! I am anxious to hear more from Jon about thses subs. Hopfully I will be able to hear some once Sean/Shizzon gets his build completed. If these sound as good as I'm hoping, the Sundown X's may end up a forgotten thought. The idea of 4 Ethos 18's in my Suburban is starting to sound MUCH more inticing. I'll definitely be watching for updates on the 18's Quentin!

a few small chips,. and also the slugs are not perfectly aligned as you can see in these pics

20131003_211729_zpse01761fa.jpg

20131005_141645_zpse2ede1d4.jpg

but maybe they are slightly off perfectly round to start with.. im not sure..

im super impressed with the sub  and the price point is just amazing he definitely over build and under hyped this sub IMO