Sign in to follow this  
SnapperKing

GCON Ported Enclosure

Hows it going fellas.

Let me preface; I've been running my 2) 12" GCONS in the DC-Creations 1.35 ft^3 Sealed Enclosure @600W RMS Each (Kicker ZX1000.1) for quite some time now with absolutely no issues.  I love these speakers and the DC enclosure is dynamite; not a single problem whatsoever.  Like my previous review stated, they're loud, clear and rugged as hell.  I had previously ran a couple of sets of 10" and 12" Type-Rs with this same amp and they just couldn't hang; ended up burning up multiple subs over the years.  The GCONS have always stayed cool even after countless 5-10+ hour road trips.

Anyway, I've always wondered how they would sound and how loud they'd be in a nice ported enclosure.  I've ran some serious set-ups in the past and thought I had made it through the SPL phase of my audiophile career, but the curiosity has finally gotten me.

My question to you guys - I'm looking at either picking up the ported Khaotic enclosure, or having another custom box made by the guys at DC Creations.  The standard, ported, Khaotic enclosure is 2.0 ft^3 per sub @ 32HZ which is below the SSA recommended optimal ported enclosure volume of 2.5-3.0 ft^3, and barely within the lower end of the non-optimal volume range (2.0-2.5 ft^3).  Do you think I'll be leaving a lot of performance on the table with this enclosure? Should I go bigger?

Thanks in advance!

Great news to hear you are liking the Gcon's so far and have seen a substantial upgrade from prior options.  ;)  Ok, as for the specs, the "optimal" specs are a mixture of where I prefer, where modeling them gives a nice response curve and where the user gains a little efficiency and maybe a pinch of later roll off.

Now, for most installs that have power on the upper range of the speaker's comfort zone, the standard enclosure design suggestions are the best direction to go for.  With your amp and goals, I think the Khaotik Enclosure will serve you well, but if you would like to reach up into the 2.5 or 2.75 range per, DC Creations is a great option for a custom enclosure.

Hope that helps.

I know this may not properly answer your question, but hopefully it'll help. I ran my Gcon 12's sealed in 1.5 cubes per sub for quite some time and was very pleased with their sound quality. I wanted more output though, so I emailed Mark from SSA regarding box dimensions because their site did not yet list a pre-designed enclosure. He recommended building a box to the same dimensions as their pre-designed dual Icon enclosure (4 cubic feet net with a tuning of 33hz IIRC). I built it and have been very pleased with it for the last few months, running off of 1500RMS for the pair. It's not quite as accurate and musical as the sealed enclosure however it is still very good sound quality, and the difference in output is easily worth it. They play very low in this box and get respectably loud for 12's, while still keeping up with my rock/metal/rap/dubstep. Their website lists an easy to read box plan. Hope this helps, good luck

I know this may not properly answer your question, but hopefully it'll help. I ran my Gcon 12's sealed in 1.5 cubes per sub for quite some time and was very pleased with their sound quality. I wanted more output though, so I emailed Mark from SSA regarding box dimensions because their site did not yet list a pre-designed enclosure. He recommended building a box to the same dimensions as their pre-designed dual Icon enclosure (4 cubic feet net with a tuning of 33hz IIRC). I built it and have been very pleased with it for the last few months, running off of 1500RMS for the pair. It's not quite as accurate and musical as the sealed enclosure however it is still very good sound quality, and the difference in output is easily worth it. They play very low in this box and get respectably loud for 12's, while still keeping up with my rock/metal/rap/dubstep. Their website lists an easy to read box plan. Hope this helps, good luck

Thanks for that info, always nice to have unbiased feedback from someone using the subs.  If you want, you can lean a little smaller than the Icon enclosures.

Thanks guys, both very good replies.  Since I've got the room, I'll be reaching out to our friends at DC for the enclosure.  I'll be shooting for 2.5 - 2.75ft^3 per.

Maybe I'll put together a sealed vs ported comparison video too

I'm excited to see how they do in a larger enclosure, good results might force me to rebuild :D . If I find time this week, I'll post a video of how these perform in their current box.

Thanks guys, both very good replies.  Since I've got the room, I'll be reaching out to our friends at DC for the enclosure.  I'll be shooting for 2.5 - 2.75ft^3 per.

Maybe I'll put together a sealed vs ported comparison video too

What kind of vehicle?

Just an update - After talking to Dustin at DC Creations, he recommended that I go with ~2.0 f^3 net per speaker because I told him that I'm making the change from sealed to ported for output above all else; obviously, I still want them to sound good.

With that being said, 2.0 ft^3 each @ 32hz it is.  I ended up going with a kerf ported enclosure with flush mounting and the bedliner option as opposed to charcoal carpeting (just to be different).   Dustin is telling me that it should ship today or tomorrow at the latest.  I'll keep you guys posted.

My decision to go down to 2.0ft^3 was mainly based on Dustin's recommendation and from Rev0811's feedback above.