Sign in to follow this  
gprestonmoto

Shok Industries Triton 12's

Just picked up a pair in a trade. Probably going in my trailblazer. Anyone have any experience with these? I dig the lows and it's looking like I'll be tuning for 31-33Hz. Any trailblazer people have any tricks of the trade for the build? I'm thinking subs up, port back. This will be a daily on around 1k. Might chase numbers just to see, but looking for low freq performance.

Triton 12″

re-7.6ohm

fs-34.925hz

qts-.578

qes-.650

qms-5.224

vas-1.495

sens-86.3dB SPL

mms-181.594

Mounting Depth : 162mm ( 6.4 inches)

Mounting Diameter : 280mm ( 11 inches)

2x 60 Oz motor,

3″ 4 layer copper coils

500 Watts rms

Recommended enclosure:

Sealed: 1 cubic feet

Ported: 2.2 cubic feet @ 33 hz

I didn't model, but that combo looks like it may have a lot of ripple in a 4th order vented alignment...

Fs is kind of high for sealed, but with cabin gain they may sound good...

Any idea on how much port area I should have for 2 12's? I hate this damn guessing game with Torres.

Can't find xmax anywhere for the subs. Kind of annoying.

Trying to be around 5cu ft @ 32Hz. Got 46" across to work with max. Depth is what I'm trying to keep under control.

I modeled them, they will have roughly 3db of ripple in the pass-band (as expected) with an alignment like you are looking at, this can be a little peaky but you might be fine with it, it can be downright annoying depending on the cabin gain you have...

If you went with a box that was roughly 44 x 14 x 17 internal with a 4" x 14" vent you would be around 15 m/s max vent velocity at around 1000 watts, assuming they have an xmax around a 1/2" or so, just a guess on my part...  If they have more xmax than that you'll have higher vent velocity, but really, you would probably be OK...

They look really nice sealed, and would probably sound pretty good.  You would loose a little on the very bottom, but I bet they would sound better...

I modeled them, they will have roughly 3db of ripple in the pass-band (as expected) with an alignment like you are looking at, this can be a little peaky but you might be fine with it, it can be downright annoying depending on the cabin gain you have...

If you went with a box that was roughly 44 x 14 x 17 internal with a 4" x 14" vent you would be around 15 m/s max vent velocity at around 1000 watts, assuming they have an xmax around a 1/2" or so, just a guess on my part...  If they have more xmax than that you'll have higher vent velocity, but really, you would probably be OK...

They look really nice sealed, and would probably sound pretty good.  You would loose a little on the very bottom, but I bet they would sound better...

The reason it says "too complex to display" is because of a simple bend I'm assuming? Anyway here is what I came up with.

untitled.jpg

I don't know how "peaky" it's going to sound, but hopefully it will be bearable. I don't want it to get much bigger. I really dig the lows so I'm not sold on sealed for this vehicle.

I might end up running them sealed. They're a pain in the ass for my vehicle. Looks like things would need to be pretty big to be even remotely flat. I just got a good deal on them and was hoping I could get some good slap.

I've never used Torres. 

I got around 24" long, so that is close enough...

I'd go sealed with those drivers...  They would probably sound best that way...

I'm gonna be weird. Trying to get 2.5 cu ft @ 24 Hz, possible?

I modeled for 33 Hz, not 24...

You can get any volume at any tuning if you can accommodate the vent.  Problem is, when you tune really low and have a lot of vent area the vent might eat up as much room in your cars as the actual enclosure does...  It starts getting out of hand pretty quick.

I'd go sealed or get different drivers.  I really don't think they'll sound great vented, I haven't even looked at group delay, but I bet it isn't great, either...  Honestly, with those drivers, if you had the skill, I would put one of them in a 4th order band-pass.  If you don't have the skill, a pair sealed would be just about as good...

I modeled for 33 Hz, not 24...

You can get any volume at any tuning if you can accommodate the vent.  Problem is, when you tune really low and have a lot of vent area the vent might eat up as much room in your cars as the actual enclosure does...  It starts getting out of hand pretty quick.

I'd go sealed or get different drivers.  I really don't think they'll sound great vented, I haven't even looked at group delay, but I bet it isn't great, either...  Honestly, with those drivers, if you had the skill, I would put one of them in a 4th order band-pass.  If you don't have the skill, a pair sealed would be just about as good...

2.5ft @ 24Hz would be running them isobaric. Good low end extension and flat response. I have a box builder who can do whatever I need. I'm just trying to get all the math out of the way. I kind of like the idea of the isobaric at 24Hz. Just trying to get port calculations down to make sure it's possible and the port isn't too big or too small. If I punch the t/s parameters in, it autopopulates 2.5ft @ 24Hz and looks perfect.

Just watch Iso loading with a box that is almost 2X a single driver's VAS, you can easily run into mechanical limits, especially with Qts as high as those drivers have...  SSF filter will not just be useful, but 100% required...

Just watch Iso loading with a box that is almost 2X a single driver's VAS, you can easily run into mechanical limits, especially with Qts as high as those drivers have...  SSF filter will not just be useful, but 100% required...

I can run the SSF no problem, haven't purchased an amp yet and can make sure I can get one with a fairly precise SSF. I find the hardest part is being comfortable with port area. I can hit 2.5 cu ft @ 24Hz with a single 4" aero port 20" long, but that seems like way too little port area (12.56in)

Oh and I really appreciate the help man. I owe you a couple beers.

You don't owe me anything.

A single 4" would probably be OK, you just need to see what the vent velocity will get up to.  It would also probably be OK as long as you didn't go full retard with power  Keep it well under 500 watts or something logical like that... 

I used to run Brahma 12's (28mm xmax) with single 4" Aeros per sub due to space limitations and they did surprisingly well...  Another nice thing about the Aero is it is thin and doesn't eat up as much volume as a slot vent made of 3/4" MDF...

You don't owe me anything.

A single 4" would probably be OK, you just need to see what the vent velocity will get up to.  It would also probably be OK as long as you didn't go full retard with power  Keep it well under 500 watts or something logical like that... 

I used to run Brahma 12's (28mm xmax) with single 4" Aeros per sub due to space limitations and they did surprisingly well...  Another nice thing about the Aero is it is thin and doesn't eat up as much volume as a slot vent made of 3/4" MDF...

I could always do 2 3" ports, but they'd need to be 24" long. What a pain lol. I guess good things come with hard work and a shit ton of math.

Good luck...

Just doesn't fit my application. Going to move em. Thanks though bro.