Anything in particular I should take pics of? The glue around the dust cap looks fine and the dust cap isn't cracked or anything.

Pics of the sub, maybe we can see something not correct and inside of the box. That would be a good start.

I'll get some more as soon as I can. These were meant for showing off to friends, not for diagnosing problems, so they probably won't show anything useful.

I've already looked at the back of the woofer last night, and it looks like we can rule out tinsel slapping. Forgive me for my ignorance, but other than loose dust cap, what else could it possibly be?

Edited by TJ Fields

speaker's with a shifted motor/ rubbing coil will make a popping noise. if you push up and down on the cone does the coil rub on anything? 

look around the magnets for cracks. also, was the shipping box damaged in anyway when you received it? 

I can take some pics, but I've had same setup (enclosure and amp) for years. It's never done this before, and the only thing that's changed is the sub. I had an Alpine Type-E 12 in the same box in the same setup, and it doesn't do this. I've even taken the Fi out, and put the Alpine back in, it definitely isn't doing it.

I was just tinkering with the lpf. At 100 hz, the noise was nonexistent with the head unit volume at 18, but obvious at 19. For each 5 hz I turned down the lpf, it bought me about one notch of head unit volume. All the way down to 50 hz, the noise was still happening, just at about 26 on the head unit.

is the final load at the amp the same for both the subs. you're not running the amp at 1 ohm when its not rated to do so, correct? 

I'll check for cracks on the magnet when I take some more pictures (probably within the hour), but I didn't notice any earlier.

I can't push down on it very far, the spider is so darn stiff, but it doesn't seem to be rubbing. & no, the shipping box is undamaged.

The amp is a Hifonics Brutus BRZ2100.1d, I've ran it at one ohm plenty and it always did fine. But the Fi is a dual 1 ohm, wired in series for a total of 2 ohms. I'm certain it is wired correctly. The Alpine is SVC 4 ohm.

I just ran it free air (with the subsonic filter up to 35 hz), and it was still obviously making the noise. It sounded like it was coming from above the spider. I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary.

By the way, if you're looking at the pic of the inside of the box and wondering, this was a ported box. I just took a 2x4, cut it up, and used wood glue to cover both ends of the port. Then I just caulked around the edges. It's a really good seal. But none of that really matters, since it was making the same noise in free air.

Edited by TJ Fields

maybe something is under the dust cap?

ninja.gif

I'm going to go ahead and get a return authorization number and send it back, unless anyone has another suggestion first.

If not, thanks for the help everyone.

Edited by TJ Fields

seems something we cant quite diagnose is going on. contacting Fi would be the next step. 

Yeah, I've already been emailing sales about it. I really wish there were something I could do about it to avoid paying $50 to ship it back to them, but I also don't want to mess with it for fear of voiding the warranty. What could possibly be under the dust cap?

Maybe Nick can chime in?

I've emailed sales with a link to the video, and a brief explanation. Nick will probably get back to me about it in the morning. 

I'll let you guys know what happens.

quickly build a sealed box to specs in cut sheets in the technical section.  It sounds to me like the coil former is hitting the dust cap or the sub is not in the right enclosure.  Set the subsonic to the Fs of the woofer.  which I think is 28 or so.

It wasn't the box, the sub was still making the noise in free air. & I know it isn't an amp setting or anything because I have an Alpine Type-E in now, and it isn't doing it. 

Still no news yet

Simply have not had time yet..I haven't sat at a computer since the 5 minutes I emailed you on Monday I think it was.

We've had a couple people out sick playing the jump through hoops game right now. We'll get to it and take care of it as soon as we possibly can.

My Icon happens to do this same very thing at low frequencies.

follow some of the suggestions in the thread to check the dust cap, etc 

Simply have not had time yet..I haven't sat at a computer since the 5 minutes I emailed you on Monday I think it was.

We've had a couple people out sick playing the jump through hoops game right now. We'll get to it and take care of it as soon as we possibly can.

No worries, it seems people everywhere have been sick a lot lately. And with SEMA last week and it being close to the holidays, I get that you guys really have your work cut out for you. I don't doubt that you guys have my back. I just thought I'd post an update, since the last time I posted here about a month ago, I ended with "I'll let you guys know what happens".