I've had the sub back for a couple days now. I don't really understand what the problem was, so I'll leave it in Nick's words:

We finally figured out that one spot on the surround delaminated one of the layers which caused the coil to rock sideways in the gap. I've never had this problem before which is why it took is a while to figure out what was going on so we could note it for future reference. We've reconed the sub and it's waiting on the shipping dock to be picked up this evening.

Interesting.  Glad they got it figured out for future reference but definitely glad they got you taken care of.

So, since you've had it back for a couple of days, how does it sound now?

I can't really give a decent review yet. I'm still experimenting with the amp settings, and as you could tell from the pics, I'm in desperate need for a new box. 5/8" mdf and a port covered up by a 2x4 and wood glue just isn't good enough for a $400 sub, ha. One thing I will say is, it's LOUD.

I'm going to build a new box soon, and I'm taking my car to a shop to get my 30 band eq tuned with an RTA meter in a couple weeks. I'm pretty excited to hear that once it's all put together.

Considering the recone, the man-hours involved in figuring out the problem, and shipping back to me, I'd be amazed if Fi hasn't ended up in the red for this transaction.

So everyone at Fi Car Audio & on this forum, thanks for the help! Fi definitely has a return customer in me.

Edited by TJ Fields

so the coil was slamming the pole piece because of a flaw on the conea/coil connection?

I copied & pasted exactly what Nick said, but I'm not going to pretend to understand it. ha

But for the record, I haven't had a problem with it since I got it back.

Edited by TJ Fields