gprestonmoto

Subwoofer Decisions

Hey guys, so I'm looking for some pro input.

Mids/Highs - EJS Audio Full Size Horns under the dash

*powered by Linear Power 2202 (mod)@ 110 x 2 @ 4 ohm load.

Midbass - Undecided at this point, might even be running ID8v1 or v2's in the doors

*powered by Linear power 3002 (mod) @ 175 x 2 @ 4/8 ohm load.

Subs - This is where I'm a little stuck. I'm trying to snag as much cone area as I can because we'll be in the trunk running two drivers. I'm probably going to be running 15's because I've got 3-5 cu ft to work with and I'll be running sealed. I know that running one driver ported will get me more output, but some music I listen to has very fast bass transitions that do not sound good to me regardless of driver or box.

I will be powering the subs with a Linear Power 8002 (mod) giving me approx 800 RMS to play with, so I'm considering 2 Flatlyne 15's, 2 GCON's, or ??

Let me know what you think.

This song's bass line has been a fairly good example of what has bothered me in all ported enclosures.

Edited by gprestonmoto

Great track, even without the Eptic remix.

I'm assuming you're referring to 800 for each sub, correct? All of your mentioned choices would be solid, but don't forget there's a 15" Dayton HO as well. I'd also give a nod to some 15" Image Dynamics IDQ as I have a buddy who's been trying to unload a pair of V1 15s for about a month now. Great shape, just no bites.

I'm not completely sold on using the 8002, I might consider IDMAX's even if I could find a pair that wasn't outrageously priced. I'm just trying to find something that will give me significant output across the board in a sealed enclosure, the smaller the better.

You can try incriminator audio like a lethal injection or 2 I series the should be fine

I'm not completely sold on using the 8002, I might consider IDMAX's even if I could find a pair that wasn't outrageously priced. I'm just trying to find something that will give me significant output across the board in a sealed enclosure, the smaller the better.

IIRC, the IDQ does well on 1.5cu sealed each. That's at least what ID recommends for them. PM me if you want me to give him your contact info. He lives in FL

15", that is

Have you given any thought to the Ethos?

Oh yes, but as soon as Q said he might make an underhung sub, I nixed the Ethos. Might even wait for this new Gem

Oh yes, but as soon as Q said he might make an underhung sub, I nixed the Ethos. Might even wait for this new Gem

I won't be making an underhung.  MMAG yes but not underhung.  Just about the only thing that makes an underhang different than overhang is the inductance increase which in a subwoofer your not going to hear the difference (inductance rating is at 1k hertz anyway).  If "SQ" is what you want at a decent amount of output then you are going to want overhang.  Just as an example.  The Ethos' motor is linear (point of audible distortion) to 32.5mm one way.  You would need a HUGE top plate for an underhung motor to be linear that much.  My softparts are linear to ~23mm one way.  Technically the sub as a whole would be classified as linear to 23mm one way.  As in no audible distortion up till that point.  This is verified by Klippel and results has been posted here on the site.  I challenge any company here or on any other forum to show proof of their published parameters.  

I won't be making an underhung.  MMAG yes but not underhung.  Just about the only thing that makes an underhang different than overhang is the inductance increase which in a subwoofer your not going to hear the difference (inductance rating is at 1k hertz anyway).  If "SQ" is what you want at a decent amount of output then you are going to want overhang.  Just as an example.  The Ethos' motor is linear (point of audible distortion) to 32.5mm one way.  You would need a HUGE top plate for an underhung motor to be linear that much.  My softparts are linear to ~23mm one way.  Technically the sub as a whole would be classified as linear to 23mm one way.  As in no audible distortion up till that point.  This is verified by Klippel and results has been posted here on the site.  I challenge any company here or on any other forum to show proof of their published parameters.  

Well now...

Edited by gprestonmoto

You've got an old school vibe going with the LP's and the horns. Would be pretty fitting to find something a little more old school to run for a sub. An old Stroker or something, although the Stroker would need to be ported.

You've got an old school vibe going with the LP's and the horns. Would be pretty fitting to find something a little more old school to run for a sub. An old Stroker or something, although the Stroker would need to be ported.

Yea, the old school vibe is great but only to a point. I was planning on purchasing an LP 8002 but the price vs return wasn't doing it for me. I'd love to do some Crystals. Those were always the ones I couldn't afford, but I decided I will wait. I'll probably buy the Helix SPXL1000B (I sell Helix so price is very low), and wait for the Primos. I misread his thread confusing overhang with underhung, but these are still the woofers I want to run. Unfortunately I'll be waiting for awhile, but that's ok. I'm stockpiling parts for the build anyway. Q's woofers really impress me, from the C/S, the honesty, the information, everything. And I was pretty much wanting to buy two 12-15's to run sealed, and the Primo fits every single aspect I'm looking for.

I'm calling you out Q! I'm your guinea pig.

Yea, the old school vibe is great but only to a point. I was planning on purchasing an LP 8002 but the price vs return wasn't doing it for me. I'd love to do some Crystals. Those were always the ones I couldn't afford, but I decided I will wait. I'll probably buy the Helix SPXL1000B (I sell Helix so price is very low), and wait for the Primos. I misread his thread confusing overhang with underhung, but these are still the woofers I want to run. Unfortunately I'll be waiting for awhile, but that's ok. I'm stockpiling parts for the build anyway. Q's woofers really impress me, from the C/S, the honesty, the information, everything. And I was pretty much wanting to buy two 12-15's to run sealed, and the Primo fits every single aspect I'm looking for.

I'm calling you out Q! I'm your guinea pig.

FYI  The original stroker pro with the clear dust cap was designed by Enrique Stilles and is the Patentee of the motor technology.  He is one of the engineers I deal with and the Primo uses the same technology  however the Primo uses a heat ring and the stroker used the entire basket as a radiator.  The Primo's is a bit better as it pulls air directly to through the gap though.  Its about a year away. 

Money permitting, I'll probably just grab a pair of IDQ's if I can get em for dirt until the Primo is born, then I will be first in line to snatch that baby while it still has the umbilical cord attached.