ncc74656

amp stopped working but shows no signs of failure?

what is going on here? i had a ZX1500.1 for 5 and a half years with zero issues on stock electric between 3 different vehicles. My ZX2500.1 died earlier this year after only about 4 months of use, i sent it off to kicker for repair and got it back, not long after i lost my sub and had to buy a new one. this amp as is has been used less than a month and a half.

i was bumping at close to max volume day before yesterday, i arrive at my destination with time to spare so i sit in the truck with the engine off for about 45 min doing paper work with the stereo on at 1/4 volume. i had to run into the store so i shut off the truck accessories and go in, i come back out and turn the radio on again but no sub. i think the sub may have died or a cable came loose. so today i pull the amp and bring it in. the power light comes on, the protect light stays off. no signal output is produced what so ever. i have not opened it yet to check it out but it has got to be the amp at this point.

zero bass boost on amp, zero deck EQ, loudness, or bass boost. gains at 1/2 up on amp with remote bass volume knobb in use. the remote volume knob is used at 1/3-1/2 level.

the truck has zero gauge power/ground, a 280A mech man, and 4 group 31 batteries. 250A fuse on kicker did not blow, sub and amp were never more than warm to the touch. lowest voltage the amp ever saw was 12.2 while engine off and 13.6-14.2 while running.

im about to pull it apart but WTF am i missing here? should i just go buy a squared audio amp and be done with it? im at my whits end with this system and its failures.

edit: just pulled it apart and i have one resistor and a mosfet up in smoke (from what i can tell). someone please give me data on these parts, the resistor im sure i can find but where can i buy a mosfet? i want to solder this tomorrow and fix it rather than shipping it out.

secondly; WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!?!?!  what do i have FU**ED up that is causing this 2500 to blow up?

J4sWidr.jpg

Edited by ncc74656

it just started working again while i had it pluged into a PSU. chips are still burnt tho...

Didn't you post up some serious jacked wiring a little while back? If it wasn't you, sorry, but my memory states you were even warned this might happen.

looks like you blew some mosfets and in that case it may play, but at a divided power.

Didn't you post up some serious jacked wiring a little while back? If it wasn't you, sorry, but my memory states you were even warned this might happen.

boom

Edited by bigjon

If you need it fixed. I have a contact, but yes you'd have to ship it out.

i tried to fix it myself, replaced the mosfets with some upgraded models and it worked for a while but then burst into flames. i sent it out to kicker last week. i also picked up some junk amps on craigs list to play with as i want to learn more about how they work. i also started working at a high end audio shop so im getting trained in with MECP classes and the like. should make things easier going forward as i unlearn some bad shit and relearn some good shit.

I would just cut your losses and buy a new amp.  Sounds like if you do this it will save you a lot of head aches since it set your sp4 fire, exc.

well i trust kicker to rebuild it properly. i may still sell it and get another brand, just not sure what amp id want...

so... your going to be installing other peoples stereos now?

DON'Tjman.gif !!!

You should see some shops around here lol. People seem to not know anything except how to sell audio good

Please tell me this isn't true

Last time I looked around we didn't have any high end car audio places in the cities.  Bunch of awful bullshit, but no high end that is for sure.

yes im going to be installing car electronics. currently working through

remote starts as its that time of year. its 4 weeks of off hands watching, 2
weeks of master tech supervised installs and then i go take my MECP test.
pending that pass i will be then starting semi supervised installs of remote
starts up to X number of devices. then its on to the next round of
certifications. its generally a longer time but being a bit short handed we are
trying to push me though everything faster.  we sell all the basic brands
(rockford, pioneer, alpine, kicker, JL, ect) and also have some of the
"higher end" brands such as focal. i had never heard of them before
but im told they are pretty good.

the stores also do custom fiber glassing and box building which i will be
learning in the summer.

to a point i suppose there is a limit to how high end of a product you can
sell retail. at the hopkins stores its a higher end neighborhood and people
have more money so you can have higher end stuff but around here its just the
people with there pants down who want to drop a couple bills on some basic
systems to make a boom boom. that said ive seen some of the work that other
stores have done and it looks pretty mint... custom boxes in the trunk with
custom fiber glassed door panels, JL audio subs/speakers and amps all laid out
in a very neat looking display. im currently working with a master MCEP tech
who had a good 40 years on me, it is in this environment i hope to learn more
and fill in my gaps in knowledge.

edit: wtf happened with the formatting?

Edited by ncc74656

so i was talking to the manager about focals today and it seems they were once this "we will never sell out and always provide the best speakers ever" company, but they stoped that a couple years ago and while they still sell 1500.00 speakers they also sell there speakers at muffler clinics and we really never sell them to anyone. guess thats why i never herad of them before.