I've been watching a few videos of people using the Steve Meade/D'Amore Engineering DD-1 Distortion Detector for setting their gains and also in identifying if and where the head-unit output begins to distort (max safe listening volume).

Anyone use this before or know anyone that has?  Whats the verdict on this thing?

Just asking out of curiosity, i've always set mine by ear anyway but it does look interesting.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_61378_SMD-DD-1-Distortion-Detector-Analyzer-by-Steve-Meade-Designs.html

This question is like asking has anyone ever used a speaker before and what was it like.

There are only a billion threads about this and from what you posted, continue doing what you have been doing.

I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on something my ears and nose can do. And if it really does pick up distortion accurately it would only be picking it up from the tone your using

I've been watching a few videos of people using the Steve Meade/D'Amore Engineering DD-1 Distortion Detector for setting their gains and also in identifying if and where the head-unit output begins to distort (max safe listening volume).

Anyone use this before or know anyone that has?  Whats the verdict on this thing?

Just asking out of curiosity, i've always set mine by ear anyway but it does look interesting.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_61378_SMD-DD-1-Distortion-Detector-Analyzer-by-Steve-Meade-Designs.html

verdict  = worthless 

keep doing things by ear. 

If you havent had any issues with just setting by ear then dont worry about it. And even if you had any issues the product wouldnt help any. If you were set on using tones to adjust your amps i would say a dso nano for half the cost of the dd-1

This question is like asking has anyone ever used a speaker before and what was it like.

There are only a billion threads about this and from what you posted, continue doing what you have been doing.

I searched "DD-1" before submitting this post and found no mention of it in these forums.

Thanks though.

I searched "DD-1" before submitting this post and found no mention of it in these forums.

Thanks though.

There are a ton of threads on it. Try searching for distortion detector and dd 1 instead of only dd-1

Here, this will help: http://bit.ly/18nBEVB

And yes, serious piece of shit. SMD forum is full of jackhats that don't know anything. Never believe anything you read there. Serious BS. Only reason to visit there is to laugh at it.

I have the DD-1 and I like it.  Here comes the comments....

A 25 dollar dmm would do the same thing.

Used it when I was a little more ignorant. The above statements are correct; you're only going to be able to measure for distortion at particular frequencies. In the DD-1's case, that's 50Hz and 1KHz. Also, to follow instructions to the letter of the DD-1's usage, it requires you to set max volume of your HU on a 0dB tone, then use a -5 and another -5 (or -10)dB tone for adjustment of your speakers and/or subs. I honestly don't know how this made sense to either D'amore or Steve Meade considering you're essentially running everything full throttle by using this method. One bad recording, one excessive voltage drop and things will go pop-pop-fizz-fizz.

Tune by ear. Start with subs, then mids, then highs. Same exact method taught to me by Steve Mantz and if he's comfortable with using it, I sure as hell am as well.

3:1 gain overlap is standard operating procedure in the SQ realm. 0db at the HU, -9 or -10db at the amps. They are generally using much more dynamic music though, far less compressed than most of the music daily systems play today.

grayta, on 27 Oct 2013 - 11:14, said:

I have the DD-1 and I like it. Here comes the comments....

Like it for what?

Here, this will help: http://bit.ly/18nBEVBAnd yes, serious piece of shit. SMD forum is full of jackhats that don't know anything. Never believe anything you read there. Serious BS. Only reason to visit there is to laugh at it.

I absolutely agree. Blind leading the blind.

Here, this will help: http://bit.ly/18nBEVBAnd yes, serious piece of shit. SMD forum is full of jackhats that don't know anything. Never believe anything you read there. Serious BS. Only reason to visit there is to laugh at it.

Lmao, just wait for the AMM-1 release. You will NOT be able to keep those cats quiet.

Lmao, just wait for the AMM-1 release. You will NOT be able to keep those cats quiet.

Haha i saw that on the smd forum. Tony said some stuff about the ad-1 that i found rather funny.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I watched that entire 30-minute preview Tony D'Amore gave of the unit. I love how he says he's got a "new technology" for measuring current which turns out you're shoving wire insulation through a reeeeeeealllly narrow orifice instead of just using a clamp. So does "new" mean frustrating and unproductive?

Like it for what?

Because you don't have to use your brain!trippy.gif

And all the pretty lights.

Edited by pmureika

I have a dd-1 I use it and I like it. I got it for cheap. It super easy just set it and forget about it. You are not limited to just 40 hz you can run different hz to check distortion. It is hard to hear distortion at low frequenty so when are do really hear it its really has alot. You my not be able to smell coils if you run sealed boxes.

Like it for what?

Because you don't have to use your brain!trippy.gif

And all the pretty lights.

Nice one...

I have a dd-1 I use it and I like it. I got it for cheap. It super easy just set it and forget about it. You are not limited to just 40 hz you can run different hz to check distortion. It is hard to hear distortion at low frequenty so when are do really hear it its really has alot. You my not be able to smell coils if you run sealed boxes.

What other frequencies? The 1kz?

You would be amazed the things people buy just because of the name on it. Even the people who bought one just say they like it and can't tell you why. What's even funnier, wwhen you tell them it sucks they rebuttal with hearsay.

If you think SMD and his top notch engineers are so great please pass me what your smoking. Puff puff pass

+1 For jay-cee.

DD-1's are for how to set gains for dummies.

Edited by pmureika

You would be amazed the things people buy just because of the name on it. Even the people who bought one just say they like it and can't tell you why. What's even funnier, wwhen you tell them it sucks they rebuttal with hearsay.

If you think SMD and his top notch engineers are so great please pass me what your smoking. Puff puff pass

The smd is perfect, it can like see distortion at levels you cannot hear or something. <-- lol thats basically what i saw someone say today, although, they were a little more confident about what they said until i started commenting.