gprestonmoto

Dirt Cheap Home Theatre

I've got plans to build something dirt cheap for my apartment. I don't know if the difference in 5.1 and 7.1 is necessary or not. I am 100% honest with this subject, I know jack dick about Home Audio. Our company does ultra high dollar installations and sells equipment so getting a receiver shouldn't be too much. I'm interested in how to go about building inexpensive driver setups. I think Arrays are pretty damn cool, is this an option?

Budget?

I'm in the same boat myself.

Something scalable always wins IMO. Start with the best two speakers you can afford and run them.

agreed with M5, is exactly what I did..bought the nicest amp and 2 speakers and worked up

if your new to this then i would look on CL find a decent receiver,  the find some monitors,  then find a decent powered sub.. and call it a day

My home theatre in a box sounds pretty good...Samsung

I have a Bob Carver Sunfire True Subwoofer Architectual for sub setup, amp is being repaired at the moment. I have a pair of little Paradigm bookshelves, and a 3 driver Paradigm center channel at the moment. I can get receivers for cheaper than craigslist. I just need to know how much of a difference 7.1 vs 5.1 makes and what I can build. I'm not interested in buying some already setup speakers. I'd really like to build an array, just because I think the project would be a blast.

Your room determines everything. Compromising a 7chn setup will sound worse than a 5 and potentially even worse than 2.

Your room determines everything. Compromising a 7chn setup will sound worse than a 5 and potentially even worse than 2.

I'm thinking I'd be happy with 5.1. This is the best I can do at work Sean. MSPaint for the win.

CaminoPark.png

Thinking about grabbing a Pioneer VSX-522-K. Low price and seems to have most functions.

Definitely no point in 7.1 there.<br /><br />Something wrong with the 3.1 you have? Replacing it all and if so to improve...

Just buy hsu 5.0 package and call it a day.

Just buy hsu 5.0 package and call it a day.

Absolutely not lol, I can get a better deal than that.

Look around at previous diy builds

Look around at previous diy builds

I wouldn't have posted this if I hadn't looked at what other people have done. I'm a tinkerer and looking to build something from scratch for fun.

Depends completely on speaker layout...and of course if home theater is truly a priority.

Most diy builds do not have very optimized center channels which is a bummer for HT when 70% of the information if not more comes from it. Super critical to have the center and mains match.

Depends completely on speaker layout...and of course if home theater is truly a priority.

Most diy builds do not have very optimized center channels which is a bummer for HT when 70% of the information if not more comes from it. Super critical to have the center and mains match.

Plus one !!

Honestly, I went everything Cerwin Vega and absolutely love it!  when I want to throw in music and just jam I have the ability. The quality imo is absolutely great coming from an in the box Onkyo 5.1 to the picked out 7.1. My ears may not be as good as others, but Im happy with the decision.