On3Hundr3dProof

Ethos on low power?

I'm think of running some Ethos subs in my truck. I have about 8~ cu ft to play with and an SAZ-3500v2 for power. Would running 4 12s on that amount of power be a waste versus just running 2 15s or would there be anything to gain? 

cone area... yay!!!!!!

The Ethos motor is specifically designed for the weight of the 15 inch cone.  The cone of the 12 is weighted, we actually have BB's encapsulated with CA glue under the dust cap to compensate for the less weight of the 12 inch cone.  And the spider pack is tighter on the 12 for the recommended ~1.5 tuned to 32 hertz box.  So, don't expect more output from less power compression by going with the smaller drivers.  Power compression was around 2.25-2.5 db by the time the coil reached normal operating conditions. For reference this is pinned in the Klippel results.

Being you only have a 3,500 I'd go with the 2 15's

Thats kinda what I was thinking but I don't know if the increase in cone area will be offset by anything else using the same amount of power. I understand RMS is just a rating of what it can handle thermally and not saying that it needs that much power, but will around 800-900 watts a piece drive them fully in about 2-2.25 cuft a piece.

Sorry posted this before seeing Q's response. Thanks!

Edited by On3Hundr3dProof

Gotta love an honest answer, looking forward to doing business with DSS...

The Ethos motor is specifically designed for the weight of the 15 inch cone.  The cone of the 12 is weighted, we actually have BB's encapsulated with CA glue under the dust cap to compensate for the less weight of the 12 inch cone.  And the spider pack is tighter on the 12 for the recommended ~1.5 tuned to 32 hertz box.  So, don't expect more output from less power compression by going with the smaller drivers.  Power compression was around 2.25-2.5 db by the time the coil reached normal operating conditions. For reference this is pinned in the Klippel results.

I do not see any reference to 12" driver parameters in the pinned section. Do you have Klippel results for the 12"? T/S parameters? Recommended enclosure sizes? Thanks.

PS as you know from PM's I am interested in two 12" that is why I am asking these questions.

The Ethos motor is specifically designed for the weight of the 15 inch cone. The cone of the 12 is weighted, we actually have BB's encapsulated with CA glue under the dust cap to compensate for the less weight of the 12 inch cone. And the spider pack is tighter on the 12 for the recommended ~1.5 tuned to 32 hertz box. So, don't expect more output from less power compression by going with the smaller drivers. Power compression was around 2.25-2.5 db by the time the coil reached normal operating conditions. For reference this is pinned in the Klippel results.

I do not see any reference to 12" driver parameters in the pinned section. Do you have Klippel results for the 12"? T/S parameters? Recommended enclosure sizes? Thanks.

PS as you know from PM's I am interested in two 12" that is why I am asking these questions.

I 2nd this. Q, can you create a specific detail page, something similar to SSA's? With the Rms rating, weight, OD/ID, etc.

What are the t/s parameters on them?

small signal parameters are listed in the "Ethos final pricing" thread however they are small signal.  All of my product will be published with large signal parameters which are a closer approximation to how the driver will actually work.  There is a huge industry show going on this week.  The sub pictured will be shipped off next week for testing and I'm told I'll have results in just a few days.  However they have the same exact goals as the 15 but optimized for a 1.5 cubic foot box tuned to 32 hetz.  This will give a little gain in the lower hertz range.  Below are the 15 specs. (large + warm parameters).  Only difference is thr Re to be used should be 3.99 ohms

PARAMETERS_zps7d3d034a.jpg

you can check out what Big Jon has to say about them here:    http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/60565-my-dss-ethos/

The Ethos motor is specifically designed for the weight of the 15 inch cone. The cone of the 12 is weighted, we actually have BB's encapsulated with CA glue under the dust cap to compensate for the less weight of the 12 inch cone. And the spider pack is tighter on the 12 for the recommended ~1.5 tuned to 32 hertz box. So, don't expect more output from less power compression by going with the smaller drivers. Power compression was around 2.25-2.5 db by the time the coil reached normal operating conditions. For reference this is pinned in the Klippel results.

I 2nd this. Q, can you create a specific detail page, something similar to SSA's? With the Rms rating, weight, OD/ID, etc.

The link for parameters are pinned for the 15. I still yet have to get together a schematic of the driver.

The 12 is going out for Klippel testing this week. I'll have results on it by the end of next week hopefully. However the original sample was a 12 so I already know how it will perform I just want to double check it.

Like I said, not just t/s, other details as well. The height of the driver, the weight, the displacement, the outer diameter, the innner diameter, as much detail as possible. You can even go above and beyond by listing things such as width of the magnet and things of that nature. I'm sure a lot of us "number" guys would like to see as much detail as possible prior to making a purchase.

Like I said, not just t/s, other details as well. The height of the driver, the weight, the displacement, the outer diameter, the innner diameter, as much detail as possible. You can even go above and beyond by listing things such as width of the magnet and things of that nature. I'm sure a lot of us "number" guys would like to see as much detail as possible prior to making a purchase.

^^ working on schematic.

Quentin - props on your answers so far. More thorough than I've ever seen any manufacturer do and without any BS. Nice smile.png

Quentin - props on your answers so far. More thorough than I've ever seen any manufacturer do and without any BS. Nice smile.png

Helps when you have arguably the two best transducer engineers in the world in your corner. I can't take all the credit.

Helps when you have arguably the two best transducer engineers in the world in your corner. I can't take all the credit.
However the description and response was all you. IMO this is exactly why forums do and should exist including vendors.

I can't speak about the product just yet but everything else about DSS seems pretty great so far.

I'm usually the one to remain skeptical, but I am liking what i've been hearing thus far. 

Cant wait to order mine to play with.

Best design engineers or not, your willingness to openly and honestly answer questions is impeccable to say the least. And for this industry to hear someone say that the lesser cost of two options would be your suggestion as the seller even though you stand to make less money is amazing. Not many honest salesmen left in the world.

Not to mention that as proprietor of your company you also have a vast wealth of technical knowledge, and are more than willing to share this and give insight freely speaks volumes to who you are as a person.

The speed of the reply for this answer, the extremely extensive amount of information about your product, and the honesty without being greedy and suggesting more product is a valuable and refreshing thing to see in this market.